How resistant are these phones to drops?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
It's been about two months now since the display shattered and she is still using that iPhone today. I told her at the time to take it to the Apple store because they could be generous and repair it for free since she bought it in August. She hasn't done it and probably won't.

That makes me sad. I've known others that have gone long periods of time using iPhones with cracked screens. I couldn't do it.

anon(5719825)

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Several years ago, I dropped a 4S onto a sidewalk. It landed on a corner and slid about six feet away. Picked it up and the only thing that happened was that the corner just had a little dent in it. Those phones had the metal band around the side all the way around kind of like the 5S does.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Several years ago, I dropped a 4S onto a sidewalk. It landed on a corner and slid about six feet away. Picked it up and the only thing that happened was that the corner just had a little dent in it. Those phones had the metal band around the side all the way around kind of like the 5S does.

The dent is one thing, shattered screen is another. A dent I could live with :) Just put a case on it!

Forsbit

Feb 8, 2016
Visit site
A week ago I dropped iPhone 6 Plus on a pavement and got crack in glass. The phone was in original Apple case, but it did not prevent screen crack.

It is a small crack and phone is perfectly usable, but still the glass screen is a weak point. Do not drop it a put the phone in tough case that protects glass screen.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
A week ago I dropped iPhone 6 Plus on a pavement and got crack in glass. The phone was in original Apple case, but it did not prevent screen crack.

It is a small crack and phone is perfectly usable, but still the glass screen is a weak point. Do not drop it a put the phone in tough case that protects glass screen.

The Apple cases don't have enough lip. But anything can happen with any case. There's never a guarantee.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
The Apple cases don't have enough lip. But anything can happen with any case. There's never a guarantee.

True, and I don't think they were designed with rugged protection in mind. Apple cases are great for those who are looking for stylish, minimalist protection. If you're rough on your Phone you should look elsewhere for a case.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
So I assume the glass on these phones is pretty durable right? I'm asking because I had another incident last night. I went to go pull my blanket on my bed up and my ps4 controller flipped over and landed on the face of the phone. I just want to make sure it's ok is all. Again, things seem fine. No cracks or scratches and the touch response seems the same.

violetjune

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
I really like RavenSword. It's just his/her posts make me laugh like no other. If you haven't check out his threads. They're so good!

Oh yes I have seen them! I subscribe to all of them... He's a good guy though and loves his iPhone! Just like the rest of us...

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
So I assume the glass on these phones is pretty durable right? I'm asking because I had another incident last night. I went to go pull my blanket on my bed up and my ps4 controller flipped over and landed on the face of the phone. I just want to make sure it's ok is all. Again, things seem fine. No cracks or scratches and the touch response seems the same.

See my post here: http://forums.imore.com/iphone-6-plus/356022-how-resistant-these-phones-drops.html#post2695439

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Dropped mine again in the leather.... thought it was a goner.

Nope :)

But I'm running out of lives! ;)

9_-______.jpg

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro