Anyone try that samsung promo?

Knightstalker

Mar 7, 2015
Visit site
I love my 6plus... but something had been drawing me back to android (ex tmo employee, so i had all their androids up to march of this year)... so i took the plunge and put a $1 on my cc and fedex is delivering a note 5 today to try out for 30days... just wondering if anyone else tried their promotion? and if so how it went...

Beyond Fire

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I tried out the promo. I had the note for the full 30 days but only really used it for about 2 weeks before changing back to my 6plus. Good phone but too many little things made me have to switch back.

dchandler

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
I heard that the battery wasn't that good and force closes kept happening to a friends Note 5, sorry just not for me.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I just purchased a Note 5 for my son a few days ago. He just said no problems at all. I guess it's like the iPhone. Some have problems and some don't.

Knightstalker

Mar 7, 2015
Visit site
I tried out the promo. I had the note for the full 30 days but only really used it for about 2 weeks before changing back to my 6plus. Good phone but too many little things made me have to switch back.

Gonna try and make it my daily driver... Still been drawn to my iPhone in between charges and setup... It's gonna be hard lol

Knightstalker

Mar 7, 2015
Visit site
I heard that the battery wasn't that good and force closes kept happening to a friends Note 5, sorry just not for me.

Yeah battery has sucked compared to my 6plus... But not gonna hold it against it quite yet, still setting up and customizing to my liking... The quick charge is sweet tho... Really nice... Had a lil lag during setup but smooth now... No closing...

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Not for me. Then again I haven't owned an Android device in over five years and have no plans on switching anytime soon.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Gonna try and make it my daily driver... Still been drawn to my iPhone in between charges and setup... It's gonna be hard lol

That's pretty normal. I do the same thing. I have an HTC One M8 and my iPhone 6 Plus. When I'm at home lounging about, my iPhone sits on the charger and I'm using my M8 all the time. If I listen to music or watch YouTube videos I use the M8. I'm getting the Note 5 because I just sort of prefer Android.

Seems to happen all the time I keep multiple smartphones around.

I'm going to the Note 5 this week, though. I want the better camera, better display, and better future proofed hardware.

At this point I don't care too much about FW updates, and the OEMs are being pretty good about security updates (Samsung/VZW just released one some days ago). I want something that interpose better across Windows and Mac, and I have issues with Apple's client software for things like Photos. Also had issues with the Music App refusing to play anything without an Apple Music subscription (and it tends to pop up a Nag screen both on my Mac and my iPhone quite a bit these days asking me to subscribe :-( ).

Knightstalker

Mar 7, 2015
Visit site
How long did it take to be delivered?

Ordered it Tuesday and had it Friday... really quick... I was expecting just a phone and charger, but they included new headphones, transfer cable for ios (smart switch) made it really easy to switch everything over... hopefully the return goes as smooth

Knightstalker

Mar 7, 2015
Visit site
That's pretty normal. I do the same thing. I have an HTC One M8 and my iPhone 6 Plus. When I'm at home lounging about, my iPhone sits on the charger and I'm using my M8 all the time. If I listen to music or watch YouTube videos I use the M8. I'm getting the Note 5 because I just sort of prefer Android.

Seems to happen all the time I keep multiple smartphones around.

I'm going to the Note 5 this week, though. I want the better camera, better display, and better future proofed hardware.

At this point I don't care too much about FW updates, and the OEMs are being pretty good about security updates (Samsung/VZW just released one some days ago). I want something that interpose better across Windows and Mac, and I have issues with Apple's client software for things like Photos. Also had issues with the Music App refusing to play anything without an Apple Music subscription (and it tends to pop up a Nag screen both on my Mac and my iPhone quite a bit these days asking me to subscribe :-( ).

Yeah the camera is what was drawing me in... the only thing that's getting on my nerves is the ****ty battery life compared to the iphone... not too bad when i have a charger around, especially with the quick charge, but if i'm out and about all day i hate having to worry about an external battery pack or something...

suninmoon

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
I tried it and got the Galaxy S6 Edge. Absolutely loved the hardware. 5.1 screen size is perfect IMHO. The phone is larger than the iPhone 6s but easier to hold on to. Screen itself is beautiful. The "Edge" screen is a bit of a gimmick but it does give you a feeling of immersion into the content on the screen that is really fun. I love the haptic feedback when typing and the little things about Android like the way it predicts what you want to type like email addresses that you regularly enter.

Having said all that the rest of the Android OS is an absolute mess. Everything feels so disconnected and not very well thought out. I have to say it would be a better experience without all the Samsung bloatware as I found none of the Samsung additions to be of any use. I never quite got a handle on the email experience as I was trying to find a great email client that could easily handle both an iCloud and Exchange account and I never found one. This is so simple to do on iOS. Another oddity was the Play store. I would regularly install apps from there, watch them download, then finish, but instead of the button changing from install to open as it does on iOS it would change from Install to update telling me that the app I just downloaded would have to be immediately updated. Why am I downloading an out of date app?? Shortcuts to apps look just like apps so new users probably have no idea if they are moving or deleting the app or the shortcut to the app. The general feeling I get from the Samsung/Android OS is that little thought was given to how the system works together as a whole. Pieces of the OS and apps that you expect should know what each are doing, don't. It's like they exist in separate systems.

Ultimately I'm too deep into the Apple ecosystem to switch to Android anyway. I've gotten all my family and friends on iPhones so not having Messages would be a deal breaker. Not having Airplay would also be a deal breaker for me. I've got Apple TVs all over my house and it's so drop dead simple. Lots of nice hardware on the Android side and some very cool Android OS features but I would be giving up too much by switching

Knightstalker

Mar 7, 2015
Visit site
Yeah I think having so many manufacturers leads to that disconnect... Oh and wifey is hating not having imessage... It's so much better than regular txt messaging...

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I tried it and got the Galaxy S6 Edge. Absolutely loved the hardware. 5.1 screen size is perfect IMHO. The phone is larger than the iPhone 6s but easier to hold on to. Screen itself is beautiful. The "Edge" screen is a bit of a gimmick but it does give you a feeling of immersion into the content on the screen that is really fun. I love the haptic feedback when typing and the little things about Android like the way it predicts what you want to type like email addresses that you regularly enter.

Having said all that the rest of the Android OS is an absolute mess. Everything feels so disconnected and not very well thought out. I have to say it would be a better experience without all the Samsung bloatware as I found none of the Samsung additions to be of any use. I never quite got a handle on the email experience as I was trying to find a great email client that could easily handle both an iCloud and Exchange account and I never found one. This is so simple to do on iOS. Another oddity was the Play store. I would regularly install apps from there, watch them download, then finish, but instead of the button changing from install to open as it does on iOS it would change from Install to update telling me that the app I just downloaded would have to be immediately updated. Why am I downloading an out of date app?? Shortcuts to apps look just like apps so new users probably have no idea if they are moving or deleting the app or the shortcut to the app. The general feeling I get from the Samsung/Android OS is that little thought was given to how the system works together as a whole. Pieces of the OS and apps that you expect should know what each are doing, don't. It's like they exist in separate systems.

Ultimately I'm too deep into the Apple ecosystem to switch to Android anyway. I've gotten all my family and friends on iPhones so not having Messages would be a deal breaker. Not having Airplay would also be a deal breaker for me. I've got Apple TVs all over my house and it's so drop dead simple. Lots of nice hardware on the Android side and some very cool Android OS features but I would be giving up too much by switching

You locked yourself into Apple's ecosystem and are digging for reasons to blame the other Software, when it's not the issue.

The issue is no Android phone is going to meet the mark because you have too many Apple devices. They only work that well with each other and with Apple's services.

Samsung's Software exists for a reason, and it's all consistent with their design ethos. The only thing inconsistent on TouchWiz devices are Third Party and Google Apps. All of Samsung's Apps share the same design language, and if not for Google's mandates, they'd let you get most of that from the Play Store. Just cause Google Runs Android does not mean their Apps or Design "philosophy" (which many people absolutely hate, by the way) run the design and development department of every OEM designing Android devices.

Furthermore, a lot of what you download apps for on iOS (Outlook for iOS, Camera+/ProCam 3, VLC, etc.) is built into a Samsung device. That's an additional reason why their software has to be there: because they don't develop Google's software. A lot of duplicative third party apps make their name on iOS, because iOS users are typically looking harder to replace the defaults than Android users, where a larger majority of users (relative to the install base) are fine with what comes on the phone.

Samsung cannot give you better CODEC support out of the box on their phones without giving you better media playback apps - they cannot modify the code for Google Play Music or Google Photos. They can't give you Exchange Support because they can't modify the Gmail and Google Calendar Apps, and Google doesn't give that away to non-Nexus Phones because they don't want to pay the license fee for all of Samsung, LG, Sony, Motorola, Asus, etc. device sales.

Android is developed and distributed differently than iOS, so it's sort of an Apples to Oranges comparison when you compare the two like that, especially when you don't rationalize it with legit reasons why things are the way they are.

Apple just fixed an iOS App Store issue that causes users to be unable to update some Apps from the App Store - so those types of issues happen on both platforms as well as on Desktop Platforms with an App Store like OS X and Windows 10.

Samsung cannot integrate that way with applications they do not develop, so don't expect that on any OEM Android Phone. Apple can't do that on iPhones, either. Developers have to Opt into that, otherwise it does not work (i.e. App Updates to enable "Spotlight Search" are no different than App Updates on a Samsung Device for a Developers to enable "S Finder" In-App Search Support).

If you want a closed system that has everything developed by one entity then you need to look at iOS, Windows Phone, or a Nexus device. However - all of those share the same issue where missing features in the base distribution means you have to go on an App Store hunt for a suitable replacement. OEM Android devices are going to have that handicap ("issue"), always. It's a result of the way Android is developed and distributed, and it's never going to go away unless Google makes changes to the way they can integrate these things into the OS and allow other apps to access them, among other things.

The issue with ecosystem investment and the device not fitting in is a personal problem and would happen if you had non-Apple devices and then tried to introduce an iPhone and Apple Services into the mix ;-)

P.S. The Edge screens are a gimmick. They cost not that much more to manufacture but the phones retail for about $100+ more than the non-Edge versions. It increases their profit margins. They do look nice, which I guess is helpful to Samsung.

iMessage is nice, but not nice enough for me to really care whether or not I use an iPhone or anything else. Other factors weigh more heavily in that. It's not much different than SMS/MMS and most of the people I know with iPhones have "Read" turned off on their phones for obvious reasons.

However, I'm the type of person that diversifies purposely with the full intent of avoiding locking. I move mobile platforms on a near yearly basis and being able to do that without worry that it will cripple workflows or usability in other areas is - for me - liberating (technologically speaking).

Last edited:

dsamp23

Jun 14, 2015
Visit site
I had to sign up too and they sent me an email about 3 days later saying it was in stock.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox