Location arrow - but no apps allowed

tikchowdhurry

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
running latest software on a 6plus.
I'm seeing the solid white arrow randomly. No pattern as far as apps open. Sometimes with no apps open. Sometimes when the phone has been unused for a while and I tap the home button it's there. I have loc services on, but no apps allowed. When I go settings I see no purple arrows indicating recent usage by apps.
That said, when and why will I be seeing the solid arrow?
Thanks!

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Look through your apps in the location services settings menu...look for any of them that have any indication that location services was used. Go into that app and make sure that it is set to off and not just "allow when using app". I had a problem with one popping up on mine regularly, and thought I turned ALL of them off...turns out Weather Channel was using location services A LOT...and I know for sure I turned it off, but it showed in the settings "Allow while using App"...

What my guess is that when you turn if off, but you open the App...some of them prompt "Please turn on locations services yadda yadda yadda", and when you do it, it switches it from whatever you had it set to to either fully on or allowed when using. It was annoying, but that was what happened with mine.

tikchowdhurry

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
Thank you everyone.
Yeah, I have 'never' for all apps so none 'while using'.
In system, only 'cell network search', 'motion calibration and distance' and 'setting time zone' have gray arrows but time zone is almost always purple outline or solid. That would be it, but I guess I didn't think it would be setting the time zone that often.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Thank you everyone.
Yeah, I have 'never' for all apps so none 'while using'.
In system, only 'cell network search', 'motion calibration and distance' and 'setting time zone' have gray arrows but time zone is almost always purple outline or solid. That would be it, but I guess I didn't think it would be setting the time zone that often.

That's not what that means. None of those will affect your phone or phone usage if you toggle them off. They're meaningless as far as your concerned. They do help indirectly if you want to help others like your carrier or Apple. It's info for them that has no direct bearing on your phone. Toggle them all off and you're good to go.

tikchowdhurry

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
Oh ok.
But in system location services, does 'find my iPhone' need to be green in order for my phone to be found while using that app on another phone or home computer?
And dies 'cell network search' need to be green in order for police or other emergency agency to find my last location via the last tower back/forth ping?

Cause I don't want to disable those abilities.

tikchowdhurry

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site

Yes. Great read.
As far as this quote, and my question above -
"For your safety, the location information in your iPhone may be used for emergency calls to aid response efforts regardless of whether you enable Location Services."
- does it refer only to whether 'loc services' is enabled or not? Or whether or not the 'cell network search' in sys setting is allowed?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Oh ok.
But in system location services, does 'find my iPhone' need to be green in order for my phone to be found while using that app on another phone or home computer?
And dies 'cell network search' need to be green in order for police or other emergency agency to find my last location via the last tower back/forth ping?

Cause I don't want to disable those abilities.

Yeah, leave Find My iPhone and Cell Network Search on. Your phone will work fine without them, but they will help. Cell Network Search is info that's sent to your carrier involving towers. The rest you can toggle off.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2