Music app and background usage

kurpaige

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Brand new plus loaded everything from scratch no restore from my 6. Haven't used the music app and its using a lot of my battery. Is this another bug?

6e3671b6df9536eeff4863c7c0956e4c.jpg

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Looks like you've not got good signal strength on LTE... That's a battery killer... Try turning off LTE and see how it goes.

kurpaige

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Not complaining about battery life so to speak, but why is music using so much battery and I haven't opened the app to use it? I'll I've done is set up this phone as a new iPhone, downloaded and logged into each app to set them up. Turned off background app refresh and turned off most notifications.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Not complaining about battery life so to speak, but why is music using so much battery and I haven't opened the app to use it? I'll I've done is set up this phone as a new iPhone, downloaded and logged into each app to set them up. Turned off background app refresh and turned off most notifications.

When you logged into each app to set them up, did beats1 radio play or did you institute the 90-day trial subscription to Music?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Your problem is most likely your weak signal. The app will use Cellular and/or wifi. If LTE, then it's working too hard to pull the signal and using too much battery. Is your signal always that low? Do you have wifi? Try going to Settings > Cellular > Toggle off music.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440452259.691312.jpg

kurpaige

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Your problem is most likely your weak signal. The app will use Cellular and/or wifi. If LTE, then it's working too hard to pull the signal and using too much battery. Is your signal always that low? Do you have wifi? Try going to Settings > Cellular > Toggle off music.
View attachment 88878

So even if your it using the app it's still trying to connect? That's kind of crazy if it does that.

I never use it so didn't think my signal would matter.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
So even if your it using the app it's still trying to connect? That's kind of crazy if it does that.

I never use it so didn't think my signal would matter.

You have several apps and other processes that run most of the time. Normally, it's not an issue. But your signal is very weak. So you have to adjust in whatever way you deem necessary. Here's the apps running on my phone. They're all stock apps. Then there's a long list of processes.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440453526.049796.jpg

kurpaige

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I usually have a great signal. I took the screen shot in the back of Walmart waiting on someone. My main point and I guess it does is why is it using that much battery if I never played one song in the app. As of now it's the second app using the most battery and I haven't used the app. Even with a good signal it clams low signal but if I'm not using the app I still don't understand the battery usage. I don't see notes using battery or maps and I used both of those over cellular.

ed3cb83a48986e7b616d20b3f3d51490.jpg

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I usually have a great signal. I took the screen shot in the back of Walmart waiting on someone. My main point and I guess it does is why is it using that much battery if I never played one song in the app. As of now it's the second app using the most battery and I haven't used the app. Even with a good signal it clams low signal but if I'm not using the app I still don't understand the battery usage. I don't see notes using battery or maps and I used both of those over cellular.

//images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/24/ed3cb83a48986e7b616d20b3f3d51490.jpg

Have you toggled Apple Music off in Settings? If your not going to subscribe, toggle it off. I did. There's a lot going on there. Go to Settings >Music> Toggle off Apple Music. Then go to Settings >General >Restrictions >Toggle off Apple Music Connect. You will still have any offline music you own, your playlists, and Radio. Maybe that will help.

kurpaige

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Have you toggled Apple Music off in Settings? If your not going to subscribe, toggle it off. I did. There's a lot going on there. Go to Settings >Music> Toggle off Apple Music. Then go to Settings >General >Restrictions >Toggle off Apple Music Connect. You will still have any offline music you own, your playlists, and Radio. Maybe that will help.

This seems to Be the best way to deal with the music app. Even in a low signal area today and a few phone calls I lost 3% so far today. No more music app at the top of the list. Apple needs to fix it cause if I wanted to use the steaming it should only kill my battery while I'm using it.

07f9b9f5a6b6275892b2f295b3d01d52.jpg

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
This seems to Be the best way to deal with the music app. Even in a low signal area today and a few phone calls I lost 3% so far today. No more music app at the top of the list. Apple needs to fix it cause if I wanted to use the steaming it should only kill my battery while I'm using it.

//images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/25/07f9b9f5a6b6275892b2f295b3d01d52.jpg

No one else has this issue that I know of. Do you have wifi? Anything cellular runs my battery down really fast. But it's 2 years old and I'm a heavy user. I try to stay on WiFi. If you want to stream, you can turn cellular off for the music app when your not streaming. Have you checked it on WiFi?

kurpaige

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
No one else has this issue that I know of. Do you have wifi? Anything cellular runs my battery down really fast. But it's 2 years old and I'm a heavy user. I try to stay on WiFi. If you want to stream, you can turn cellular off for the music app when your not streaming. Have you checked it on WiFi?

Everyone I know has Music high in there battery usage. I don't have bad battery life, I have a 6, ipad mini and air 2 and all of them have Music high on the battery usage list but I don't stream on any of those devices so it's nothing to do with cell or wifi. Like the screen I gave an hour phone call and a few hours of standby only took 3% in a bad signal area so I'm good with the battery today, yesterday Music was high on the list for no reason. I turned it off and its not there so its obvious you have to turn it off or its running in the background even if you don't use it. Before Apple Music this app was never high on the list.