If you have a choice, would you prefer to have a replaceable battery and/or sd card option?

Sammuel1973

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Re: If you have a choice, would you prefer to have a replaceable battery and sd card option?

Because if there is an issue with the SD card, which is pretty likely, you will end up taking it out and possible dropping it. And it's pretty easy to lose something that small.
Maybe I ask which phone did you own and sd card you used, where your sd card had many issues, and you repeatedly dropped it, and couldn't find it?

I'm beginning to think some have misconceptions on these 2 options. Swapple batteries is perhaps the fastest and easiest way to be 100% again. SD card slot do not take that much space in a phone. Good SD cards don't break easily, otherwise they won't be selling. Cloud services are great for back up, but you can't readily retrieve files when you're in a plane, camping, or overseas. I have kept my 128gb since day 1, never needed to remove it. Viewing the videos and pics from my Disney World trip thousands of miles in the sky was great.

Anyway, thought I should clarify these misconceptions. Of course there are bad experiences, but let's not overgeneralize them. I guess it all boils down to personal preferences and comfort level.

Last edited:

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
If you have a choice, would you prefer to have a replaceable battery and sd c...

Maybe I ask which phone did you own and sd card you used, where your sd card had many issues, and you ended dropping it, and couldn't find it?

My Dad's Samsung Galaxy S 4G, S3 and Note 4. It clicks in and I have to drag it out. Sometimes I ended up dropping it and it took a while to find it. The S3 and S4G had multiple issues with the SD card not being able to be read. It happened once with the Note too. I don't consider myself a clumsy person, I have 20/20 vision and good dexterity with my hands, but something that small is always at risk of being dropped.

Sammuel1973

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Re: If you have a choice, would you prefer to have a replaceable battery and sd c...

My Dad's Samsung Galaxy S 4G, S3 and Note 4. It clicks in and I have to drag it out. Sometimes I ended up dropping it and it took a while to find it. The S3 and S4G had multiple issues with the SD card not being able to be read. It happened once with the Note too. I don't consider myself a clumsy person, I have 20/20 vision and good dexterity with my hands, but something that small is always at risk of being dropped.
Ah, got it. Yes, they can be a pain to remove, they are so tiny. I rather them to be tiny so the design and aesthetic of the phone is not compromised. Like I said, most folks I know usually never need to remove their sd card unless they have a new device or when it's full. Even when sd cards are dropped, they are rarely damaged or missing. ;)

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Re: If you have a choice, would you prefer to have a replaceable battery and sd card option?

Genuine question: For those that say the SD card slot ruins the aesthetic/design of the phone, does the SIM card slot also ruin the design? Couldn't Apple create something like this but you would insert a SD card instead? I agree that the experience is better without it but I'd rather have it than not; even though I am okay with not having it as I knew what I was buying before purchase.

No its the same. Neither actually impacts the aesthetic.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site

TIL "Redundant" = "Interesting" to some.

If you find it redundant then skip it. If you want freedom from redundancy in general then change your posting patterns.

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site

Genuine question: For those that say the SD card slot ruins the aesthetic/design of the phone, does the SIM card slot also ruin the design? Couldn't Apple create something like this but you would insert a SD card instead? I agree that the experience is better without it but I'd rather have it than not; even though I am okay with not having it as I knew what I was buying before purchase.

While I don't think it impacts the aesthetic I do prefer built in storage. I just think it shouldn't add more than $50 for each double. Like the Nexus is 649 for 32 and 699 for 64. I think that's reasonable.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site

While I don't think it impacts the aesthetic I do prefer built in storage. I just think it shouldn't add more than $50 for each double. Like the Nexus is 649 for 32 and 699 for 64. I think that's reasonable.

To Apple $100 is reasonable. You have to consider that iPhones are luxury devices and that they are trying to make maximum profit. They know the $100 price gap won't discourage their user base from upgrading to an iPhone with greater storage.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
If you have a choice, would you prefer to have a replaceable battery and sd c...

To Apple $100 is reasonable. You have to consider that iPhones are luxury devices and that they are trying to make maximum profit. They know the $100 price gap won't discourage their user base from upgrading to an iPhone with greater storage.

I for one am willing to spend that ?200 more for a 128GB device.. I will end up saving money because I can get a lower data plan as I'm now paying extra for a 12GB data plan.

If I have that 128GB device, I can finally save all my songs for offline listening.

And since I find SD cards an inconvenience, I am glad Apple sticks to not adding that option.

And while desktops where existing out of a separate monitor and system case, Apple has always manufactured all in one devices.

Last edited:

Peter Ramirez1

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Re: If you have a choice, would you prefer to have a replaceable battery and sd c...

I for one am willing to spend that ?200 more for a 128GB device.. I will end up saving money because I can get a lower data plan as I'm now paying extra for a 12GB data plan.

If I have that 128GB device, I can finally save all my songs for offline listening.

And since I find SD cards an inconvenience, I am glad Apple sticks to not adding that option.

And while desktops where existing out of a separate monitor and system case, Apple has always manufactured all in one devices.

How are SD cards an inconvenience?

Nexus

Sammuel1973

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site

I agree with you. Apple can charge much more, and their customers seem to not mind. Everyone is the not same.

Last edited:

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site

Some of you guys are overblowing the supposed unreliability of SD cards. Yeah, they definitely blow out. I am with you on that. I've had it happen to me. But they aren't like these fragile glass statues. A well made card from a reputable manufacturer isn't going to just die after a month. They have fast read/write times and are very reliable for data storage (like lots of extra music and movies). You'd have to be chucking your phone around pretty hard to dislodge it and damage it while it is sitting in the phone.

OTOH I am with you on not having these ports just hanging loose all over the phone. It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me one way or the other but I'm not particularly keen on the SD port being on the exterior of the phone (that would be an example of how they could easily get damaged while you are traveling with the phone...and its why most smartphone manufacturers don't put the sd card slot there). I like Apple's unibody designs so really to get the port where I would want it on an iPhone, I'd have to disassemble my iPhone just to get to it. No thanks.

Sammuel1973

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site

After having worked with SD cards for years on WMP devices (HTC Tytan, TytanII and so) that's what I think of SD cards.
Ha, so long ago. Technology has evolved tremendously, so have sd cards.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

If you find it redundant then skip it. If you want freedom from redundancy in general then change your posting patterns.

Meh, pointing it out is a lot more fun (and redundant). Thanks though...

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

Ha, so long ago. Technology has evolved tremendously, so have sd cards.

It's not about technology, it's about the cards. I don't like them.. I am getting in repetitive mode in this thread. I don't want it, I won't want it, ever.

Sammuel1973

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site

It's not about technology, it's about the cards. I don't like them.. I am getting in repetitive mode in this thread. I don't want it, I won't want it, ever.
Fair enough, I was just curious to know your reason as to, like Peter asked, why you think sd cards are inconvenient.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

Fair enough, I was just curious to know your reason as to, like Peter asked, why you think sd cards are inconvenient.

Here are some of my previous posts in the matter

I rather pay $200 more for extra space than $110 for a small chip which I'm likely to lose over time (happened a lot to me back in my Windows Mobile Phone times)

Because of the ability to swap cards.

I used to have multiple cards in my wallet for different purposes on my WMP back in the day.

Same goes with digital cameras and as cards. It happens, people lose memory cards, container or not

Nope, not me. The fact I have 8 hard disks in my desktop proves you wrong .

But since I'm an iPhone user, I have learned to live with the space I bought with the phone (32GB).

If I had the option to buy multiple cards, I would have, no matter the space on the biggest available

Sammuel1973

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site

Here are some of my previous posts in the matter
Right, I read them. ;). I just wanted to point out your perception of today's sd card (and swapple battery) is out dated. First off, sd cards no longer cost $110; just $32 for 64gb (see pic). Second, you don't need to swap them daily, just when they are full or when you have a different device. For me, I never had to remove it, and even if I did, easy breezy like a sim card. That being said, I still use my 2TB external drive and cloud account to backup more important files. And I agree with you, the easy solution is to opt for the 128gb built in storage, but even so, you never know when you may need more space, and having the sd card option certainly doesn't hurt, as well as the cloud, although the cloud to me, has more limitations. At the end of the day though, it's up to you despite whatever misconceptions you still have about sd cards.

Attachments

• 1437490616642.jpg
    1437490616642.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 21

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2