If you have a choice, would you prefer to have a replaceable battery and/or sd card option?

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Re: If you have a choice, would you prefer to have a replaceable battery and sd card option?

Nope, not me. The fact I have 8 hard disks in my desktop proves you wrong .

But since I'm an iPhone user, I have learned to live with the space I bought with the phone (32GB).

If I had the option to buy multiple cards, I would have, no matter the space on the biggest available

No expandable memory isn't a deal breaker ( obviously lol) but it would be nice to have the choice imo . Me personally I might of bought the 16Gb or 64gb iPhone 6 plus if they had expandable memory

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Re: If you have a choice, would you prefer to have a replaceable battery and sd card option?

I think my views have changed on storage. I was always a proponent of removable storage but since I got my Nexus 6 I can see that with cloud storage I am more than comfortable with my current 32 GB internal and I feel it's faster than my SD card storage in the past. But I would still want a removable battery. It's less expensive than having someone rip the phone open to replace it and I feel adds life to your device and allows for flexibility when travelling. But it isn't a deal breaker.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

I have 5 external batteries for when I'm outdoors and most of the time I only use one of them. I have a cheap charging cable to carry with me at all times in order to spare the official cable provided with the phone. And those external batteries are a lot cheaper than original batteries for phones and they have bigger capacity. What I mean to say is, there is no need for Apple to include replaceable batteries in next generations.

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site

I have 5 external batteries for when I'm outdoors and most of the time I only use one of them. I have a cheap charging cable to carry with me at all times in order to spare the official cable provided with the phone. And those external batteries are a lot cheaper than original batteries for phones and they have bigger capacity. What I mean to say is, there is no need for Apple to include replaceable batteries in next generations.

I do have a 10,000mah external battery that has come in very handy when travelling or during a power outage.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

shief24

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site

I wouldn't mind having an SD card. I could have lots more space and easily share pictures from my Camera to my iPhone. Also, I would have more space for photos/songs/movies in general. Before getting a camera I didn't have a storage issue but i've been taking pics with the camera, editing it on my rMBP and then doing final touches on my iPhone 6+. But this would not be an issue if I had higher internal storage.

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site

Gotta back up your data Hank. SD Cards are an awesome tool but are a dime a dozen. I've had plenty of cards blow on me but they are so cheap for decent size its a non-issue. Read/write times on these cards for data storage is negligible I can copy my backup to a fresh 32 GB card fast enough.

Not saying iPhone needs SD card (I don't use it on my iPod, iPad, etc. and I get on just fine) but don't dismiss the tool because you're practicing bad data management.

I've got my Note 3 with the biggest card I could get. It is fine, whatever. Personally I use all the junk I have crammed on my Note 3 less than the data I cycle out on my iOS devices when I have them docked to my Mac. Apple drives sales on their higher capacity (and overpriced IMO) configurations because people are afraid they'll run out of space but iOS stuff has some of the easiest data management if you're synced to your Mac or Windows PC.

I'd be fine with a MicroSD port on my iOS stuff if it was discrete. There is a lot to be said for the sealed case design.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

Gotta back up your data Hank. SD Cards are an awesome tool but are a dime a dozen. I've had plenty of cards blow on me but they are so cheap for decent size its a non-issue. Read/write times on these cards for data storage is negligible I can copy my backup to a fresh 32 GB card fast enough.

Not saying iPhone needs SD card (I don't use it on my iPod, iPad, etc. and I get on just fine) but don't dismiss the tool because you're practicing bad data management.

I've got my Note 3 with the biggest card I could get. It is fine, whatever. Personally I use all the junk I have crammed on my Note 3 less than the data I cycle out on my iOS devices when I have them docked to my Mac. Apple drives sales on their higher capacity (and overpriced IMO) configurations because people are afraid they'll run out of space but iOS stuff has some of the easiest data management if you're synced to your Mac or Windows PC.

I'd be fine with a MicroSD port on my iOS stuff if it was discrete. There is a lot to be said for the sealed case design.

Who said that I didn't back up my data. I just made a comment that memory cards can fail. And they are significantly ore unreliable/in dependable than internal storage on a mobile device.

For my money, they are the weakest link in any data storage scheme.

Sent from my mobile device via Tapatalk 3.2.1.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site

Who said that I didn't back up my data. I just made a comment that memory cards can fail. And they are significantly ore unreliable/in dependable than internal storage on a mobile device.

For my money, they are the weakest link in any data storage scheme.

Sent from my mobile device via Tapatalk 3.2.1.

64GB cards are $30 bucks or so. I rather spend $30 then $100 any day of the week. San disk offers a lifetime warranty* on their cards and Samsung offers 10 years** I store the important stuff on internal storage and cloud backup and music, apps, videos and etc on the card. Never had an issue with them.

* the one I bought had one

** the pro one does. It's the silver one that they sell.

Apple overprices the storage because they can and people will buy it. Before Samsung copied Apple with the s6 and the whole scheme of pricing they always offered their phones with 32GB of storage for $50 more vs the $100 Apple sells. Now they do $100 with the S6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

64GB cards are $30 bucks or so. I rather spend $30 then $100 any day of the week. San disk offers a lifetime warranty* on their cards and Samsung offers 10 years** I store the important stuff on internal storage and cloud backup and music, apps, videos and etc on the card. Never had an issue with them.

I can afford $100 for the 64GB phone and the seamless experience. I don't need a memory card, don't need the performance hit, don't need the extra opening on my phone and don't need to mess with data recovery/exchanging the card if/when it fails.

Knock yourself out, but I'm pretty much locked into my choice. But thanks for trying to shove your ideas down my throat.

Apple "overcharges", as you put it, because they deliver a seamless process that is hassle free. It works for me. Rather than seeing it as overcharging, I see it as convenience. Sometimes paying a bit more to avoid the hassle is just the right thing to do.

Clearly you have an agenda, so push on, but I am done here.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

lol...are we going to go through all of these threads before the new phone is announced? First it's the blinky LED light for the umpteenth time, then this. Removable batteries? What is this, 2006? SD Cards? Give me faster and more stable on board storage all day.

Next thing you know, a thread asking if the iPhone will ever have a physical keyboard will pop up. :straight-face:

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site

I can afford $100 for the 64GB phone and the seamless experience. I don't need a memory card, don't need the performance hit, don't need the extra opening on my phone and don't need to mess with data recovery/exchanging the card if/when it fails.

Knock yourself out, but I'm pretty much locked into my choice. But thanks for trying to shove your ideas down my throat.

Apple "overcharges", as you put it, because they deliver a seamless process that is hassle free. It works for me. Rather than seeing it as overcharging, I see it as convenience. Sometimes paying a bit more to avoid the hassle is just the right thing to do.

Clearly you have an agenda, so push on, but I am done here.

So $200 for 112gb isn't overcharging? 128gb micro SD cards are now around $70. Which is cheaper? I would love to have the choice (keyword) to add a micro SD card into my phone. I rather not pay $200 for 112gb.

Nobody here is forcing anybody to use a micro SD card so you can easily forego it

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

So $200 for 112gb isn't overcharging? 128gb micro SD cards are now around $70. Which is cheaper? I would love to have the choice (keyword) to add a micro SD card into my phone. I rather not pay $200 for 112gb.

Nobody here is forcing anybody to use a micro SD card so you can easily forego it

Just like the blinky LED, if removable batteries and microSD card slots are important to you, you will need to buy a different device. Apple doesn't offer these "features", and it's extremely unlikely that they ever will. Now Samsung, the copycat phone maker, is following suit. I guess you can rule them out, as well - at least the new flagship models.

I hear BlackBerry is still (barely) in business and is still offering this 1980s technology.

No need to respond to me, as this is my final post in this thread.

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Why doesn't the iPhone have a stubby antenna? That sh*t is TIIIIIIIGGGGGHHHHHHHHT!

treo_650_big.jpg

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

No and no ...

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
If you have a choice, would you prefer to have a replaceable battery and sd c...

lol...are we going to go through all of these threads before the new phone is announced? First it's the blinky LED light for the umpteenth time, then this. Removable batteries? What is this, 2006? SD Cards? Give me faster and more stable on board storage all day.

Next thing you know, a thread asking if the iPhone will ever have a physical keyboard will pop up. :straight-face:

Kinda funny how people want to force others into their way of thinking.

I'm right as rain with my onboard storage. Which is why buy iPhones. If I didn't feel it was something I could handle I wouldn't buy it. Oh but holy cow the drama queens come out and DAYAM!!!!!!!

Sent from my GORGEOUS, SEXY, AWESOME Gold 128G iPhone 6

Last edited:

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site

Just like the blinky LED, if removable batteries and microSD card slots are important to you, you will need to buy a different device. Apple doesn't offer these "features", and it's extremely unlikely that they ever will. Now Samsung, the copycat phone maker, is following suit. I guess you can rule them out, as well - at least the new flagship models.

I hear BlackBerry is still (barely) in business and is still offering this 1980s technology.

No need to respond to me, as this is my final post in this thread.

Blackberry phones are coming out now without a removable battery. The Quasimodo doesn't have one.

Sent from my GORGEOUS, SEXY, AWESOME Gold 128G iPhone 6

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site

We all should simply be quiet, shouldn't we?

anon(5061193)

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site

I would take the removable battery anyday. I have both the Iphone 6+ and the LG G4 and the Iphone is and will remain my daily driver, but the G4 with the extra battery is great. I drop it in my briefcase and I know that I am good to go all day (and night). It is a great feature. Not enough to move away from Apple but it is a great feature

anon(5061193)

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site

I LOVED that phone.... The Palm Pre was and still is my ALL-TIME Favorite

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73