If you have a choice, would you prefer to have a replaceable battery and/or sd card option?

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Re: If you have a choice, would you prefer to have a replaceable battery and sd card option?

I'm also an Android fan and of my and while I like having the option of removable they're really nothing more than peace of mind for me. My 6+ is just fine without removables with 128GB of storage and a battery that makes the Energizer bunny stand up and take notice. I think removables are (sadly going away) but as long as battery life is decent and storage is adequate I'll learn to happily live with Android handsets without removables. With Apple... I can't miss what I never had.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Re: If you have a choice, would you prefer to have a replaceable battery and sd card option?

I'm also an Android fan and of my and while I like having the option of removable they're really nothing more than peace of mind for me. My 6+ is just fine without removables with 128GB of storage and a battery that makes the Energizer bunny stand up and take notice. I think removables are (sadly going away) but as long as battery life is decent and storage is adequate I'll learn to happily live with Android handsets without removables. With Apple... I can't miss what I never had.

Yeah but let's take a Samsung galaxy note 4 and the iPhone 6 plus. Samsung galaxy note 4 is $299 on contract and the iPhone 6 plus is $299 as well. The note 4 can be upgraded to 128GB plus whatever is on the internal memory for around $110 dollars. To get the same general space on the iPhone you'll need to spend $200 more. External memory isn't ever going to be on an apple device because of the fact they can charge you more for internal memory.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

I rather pay $200 more for extra space than $110 for a small chip which I'm likely to lose over time (happened a lot to me back in my Windows Mobile Phone times)

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

If you buy high quality brand SD cards you shouldn't have any issues. I have a Samsung pro one and it works great

I'm sure that it does .. until it doesn't ... and it takes your stuff with it when it dies.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site

I'm sure that it does .. until it doesn't ... and it takes your stuff with it when it dies.

That's why you back your stuff up no matter what . Everybody I know who has an Android or had one with a card never had an issue with it. Surely you're going to have problems with a few but the high quality cards should make it pretty low

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

Some at the Android Central Forum may want to switch over to the IPhone 6S+ if the Samsung Note 5, also due to be available in the next 1-3 months, does not have these 2 options. Apparently, the design would be similar to the Samsung S6, with metal and glass.

I know there is quick charging and battery packs; cloud services as alternatives, but are they really better than replaceable battery and sd card?

Add: Any former Android users here? How difficult was it to adjust not having these 2 options?

Personally both options are non-starters for me. I have tremendous battery life on my iPhone 6 Plus. I routinely charge it every other day - but have the ability to charge if more frequently if the need arises.

Likewise, with the iCloud and the plethora of options for cloud based storage, by 64GB is more than sufficient at this time.

The problem with SD card slots, no matter how integrated are not nearly equivalent to true "onboard" storage. Performance lacks and there are serious issues caused by the inability to do things like store apps on the SD card.

Not having either option doesn't bother me at all, neither does it negatively affect the design of my phone. The tighter specifications for parts and fit would be lost to some extend by having additional openings and/or "covers" for things like SD card slots, and dealing with removable backs, etc.

I am perfectly content at this time with the design and function of my iPhone.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site

I rather pay $200 more for extra space than $110 for a small chip which I'm likely to lose over time (happened a lot to me back in my Windows Mobile Phone times)

How can you lose a card that should be in your phone....I have plenty in my house where I have a container just for them. Overpriced is overpriced and Apple severely overprices on memory . Not enough of an issue that it's a deal breaker but it's them being greedy

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

If you buy high quality brand SD cards you shouldn't have any issues. I have a Samsung pro one and it works great

It only would if you used it....if you get the Samsung ultra micro SD card or San disk whatever the faster ones are you'll not have any issues really. Obviously internal trumps external in terms of speed but not a noticeable difference with a good card

I never did. Buying top end cards from San disk or Samsung is fine from my experience

Why do I get the distinct impression that I have wandered onto a SanDisk or Samsung sponsored forum?

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site

Personally both options are non-starters for me. I have tremendous battery life on my iPhone 6 Plus. I routinely charge it every other day - but have the ability to charge if more frequently if the need arises.

Likewise, with the iCloud and the plethora of options for cloud based storage, by 64GB is more than sufficient at this time.

The problem with SD card slots, no matter how integrated are not nearly equivalent to true "onboard" storage. Performance lacks and there are serious issues caused by the inability to do things like store apps on the SD card.

Not having either option doesn't bother me at all, neither does it negatively affect the design of my phone. The tighter specifications for parts and fit would be lost to some extend by having additional openings and/or "covers" for things like SD card slots, and dealing with removable backs, etc.

I am perfectly content at this time with the design and function of my iPhone.

The cloud only works if you have a data connection and the world isn't 100% connected yet. I rather have local storage over cloud since I also don't want it in the cloud for privacy reasons and no amount of convincing could sway my opinion on that. Also should something happen to that server the cloud is on you could lose everything*.

As as sd cards goes you can install apps to them specially on Samsung phones. And performance wise if you get the higher end ones the speeds were almost as good.

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site

Yeah but let's take a Samsung galaxy note 4 and the iPhone 6 plus. Samsung galaxy note 4 is $299 on contract and the iPhone 6 plus is $299 as well. The note 4 can be upgraded to 128GB plus whatever is on the internal memory for around $110 dollars. To get the same general space on the iPhone you'll need to spend $200 more. External memory isn't ever going to be on an apple device because of the fact they can charge you more for internal memory.

Yeahp. I have a 64 GB card in my Note 4 and do appreciate the flexibility. Rumor has it that the Note 5 will not have removables. If that is true, I see some new iOS customers.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site

Why do I get the distinct impression that I have wandered onto a SanDisk or Samsung sponsored forum?

Because people want to slam sd cards and I'm trying to prove them wrong ? Of course if you buy some off brand card I doubt you'll find them any good but as long as you buy from companies that sell good ones like Samsung or San disk your way less likely to have these issues.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

Because people want to slam sd cards and I'm trying to prove them wrong ? Of course if you buy some off brand card I doubt you'll find them any good but as long as you buy from companies that sell good ones like Samsung or San disk your way less likely to have these issues.

For the record "way less" is still > 0.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

How can you lose a card that should be in your phone....I have plenty in my house where I have a container just for them. Overpriced is overpriced and Apple severely overprices on memory . Not enough of an issue that it's a deal breaker but it's them being greedy

Because of the ability to swap cards.

I used to have multiple cards in my wallet for different purposes on my WMP back in the day.

Same goes with digital cameras and as cards. It happens, people lose memory cards, container or not

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site

Yeahp. I have a 64 GB card in my Note 4 and do appreciate the flexibility. Rumor has it that the Note 5 will not have removables. If that is true, I see some new iOS customers.

Eh maybe lol. The LG G4 is around the same size and offers micro sd card support I believe . But I do see some going with the iPhone though :)

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site

Because of the ability to swap cards.

I used to have multiple cards in my wallet for different purposes on my WMP back in the day.

Same goes with digital cameras and as cards. It happens, people lose memory cards, container or not

If you have a 128GB card inside your likely not going to need to swap cards

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

Nope, not me. The fact I have 8 hard disks in my desktop proves you wrong .

But since I'm an iPhone user, I have learned to live with the space I bought with the phone (32GB).

If I had the option to buy multiple cards, I would have, no matter the space on the biggest available

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR