Closed-captioning stays set to ON for all video apps. Can't turn them off.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
As the title states, no matter what video app I'm using, whether it be WatchESPN, HBO Now, Hulu, etc. The closed-captioning stays stuck to "ON" for each of them whether I disable it within the app or not. In the unique case of HBO Now, tapping on the icon won't even give me the option. I've rebooted, deleted, re-installed and same deal. I've gone through my accessibility settings and captioning is OFF there.

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this and had a solution besides restoring as new? My hope is that it'll disappear with 8.4 on Tuesday.

Thank you in advance.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Obvious question, forgive me. Is closed captioning turned off in the phone's settings? (Not the various apps?)

Go to Settings > General > Accessibility > Subtitles & Captions and make sure

nancybout

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
Turn it off in the apps. I use close caption and the only way in able to turn on or off is within the app itself (Netflix Hulu)

tmconnors

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site
There is no option to do this in HBO Now. It simply will NOT allow me to turn off closed captioning. There's an icon, but it's not responsive. Help!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried a hard reset?
Hold the top power/sleep button and the home button at the same time until the Apple logo appears, then release.

Ted Steinberg

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for your easy cure.

The hard reset works = but, as soon as it is done, make sure the closed captions setting in accessibility is off. Mine was on, so I turned it off and, hurray, I was able to watch a replay of an NBA game without those disruptive closed captions.

Thanks for saving the remaining hair on my head which I was pulling off. I had a full head of hair when I bought my first computer, 35 years ago. I blame all my hair loss on my frustrations with computational wizardry.

Alicia Richardson

Sep 22, 2017
Visit site
Turn on Closed Captioning is Accessibility settings, play video, then turn off Closed Captioning in Accessibility settings.

Hope it works for you, it did for me!!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711