Was bend gate really overblown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I don't need to know the actual number of grains of sand to know if I'm at the beach or not ...
Likewise I don't need any numbers to realize that a few idiots sitting on their all aluminum bodied iPhones and bending them, gave the media a perfect scenario to latch onto and milk it for what it was worth. Which they did, and now it's over.

You are the analogy king for the day. I think you should believe what you want to believe. I just stated what in most circles would not be controversial. That is let's see the data...then we will know if it was overblown or not.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I never once complained about getting numbers. I simply said the only way to know is to get numbers. I have no position on whether or not they should be provided.

Your position is that the thread is nothing more than fanboism vs skeptics based in the absence of numbers of devices sold.

My position is that it is disingenuous to refer to those of who dismiss the bendgate issue as fanbois, simply because we dismiss it as nothing more than a troll fest. Especially in view of an absence of hard numbers on another company's less than stellar reaction to devices bricking and nuking.

There's no way to know if it was overblown without exact numbers of bent vs total sold. This thread just pits the fanboys vs the skeptics.

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
You are the analogy king for the day. I think you should believe what you want to believe. I just stated what in most circles would not be controversial. That is let's see the data...then we will know if it was overblown or not.

Back when you were using a BlqckBerry, did you request to see the data on the bricked devices? Did you request to see the data on the rebooting Z10s? If so, did you get it and will you share it? If not, why not?

Do you use an iPhone now? Given that you've stated that you hate the iPhone I find that unlikely.

Look, I have no beef with whatever phone you use. But I do have a beef with you representing yourself as the epitome of device agnosticism when you have stated that you hate the iPhone. I would have much more respect for your posts if you owned up to your previous statements that you do hate the iPhone. And if that's the case, one begs the question, often posed in Blackberry sites, why are you here?

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Your position is that the thread is nothing more than fanboism vs skeptics based in the absence of numbers of devices sold.

My position is that it is disingenuous to refer to those of who dismiss the bendgate issue as fanbois, simply because we dismiss it as nothing more than a troll fest. Especially in view of an absence of hard numbers on another company's less than stellar reaction to devices bricking and nuking.

Yes I do think this sort of thread is created to pit fanboys vs skeptics. We don't have numbers and that is why the ambiguity of the post sets up perfectly for such a debate.

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Back when you were using a BlqckBerry, did you request to see the data on the bricked devices? Did you request to see the data on the rebooting Z10s? If so, did you get it and will you share it? If not, why not?

Do you use an iPhone now? Given that you've stated that you hate the iPhone I find that unlikely.

Look, I have no beef with whatever phone you use. But I do have a beef with you representing yourself as the epitome of device agnosticism when you have stated that you hate the iPhone. I would have much more respect for your posts if you owned up to your previous statements that you do hate the iPhone. And if that's the case, one begs the question, often posed in Blackberry sites, why are you here?

My Z10 rebooted a lot and I had three die on me. It was not a well made phone. I have hated the iPhone in the past and found value in the iPad. I hate the iPhone most when my daughters iPhone is acting up. I am agnostic for devices. They all tick me off and make me happy at times. My statement was simple. The best way to know is to see the data. Otherwise it is an ambiguous thread that will simply create another opportunity for fanboys and skeptics to argue.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Yes I do think this sort of thread is created to pit fanboys vs skeptics. We don't have numbers and that is why the ambiguity of the post sets up perfectly for such a debate.

OK. So for the sake of removing ambiguity and for the sake of clarity, have you got numbers to back up the position that this is not a blown up issue?

The issue was reported shortly after the device sold. Since the device went on sale, have you been able to find numbers of returned devices? Apple satisfaction is in the 80%. One could reasonably deduce that someone whose devices bend would not be happy, causing the percentage to be lower. In addition, since the posts on YouTube and various antiApple sites, literally tens of mlions of devices were sold. If the number of bent devices were high, given that the media was all over it, is it reasonable to expect people to have bough those devices?

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
My Z10 rebooted a lot and I had three die on me. It was not a well made phone. I have hated the iPhone in the past and found value in the iPad. I hate the iPhone most when my daughters iPhone is acting up. I am agnostic for devices. They all tick me off and make me happy at times. My statement was simple. The best way to know is to see the data. Otherwise it is an ambiguous thread that will simply create another opportunity for fanboys and skeptics to argue.

OK so you hate the iPhone. Therefore you have less than a dispassionate reason for being in this thread. Additionally, you are not a neutral bystander in the argument.

OK. Thank you for the clarity. I appreciate it. I'm on my way elsewhere.

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
OK. So for the sake of removing ambiguity and for the sake of clarity, have you got numbers to back up the position that this is not a blown up issue?

The issue was reported shortly after the device sold. Since the device went on sale, have you been able to find numbers of returned devices? Apple satisfaction is in the 80%. One could reasonably deduce that someone whose devices bend would not be happy, causing the percentage to be lower. In addition, since the posts on YouTube and various antiApple sites, literally tens of mlions of devices were sold. If the number of bent devices were high, given that the media was all over it, is it reasonable to expect people to have bough those devices?

The 80% rate and the high number of sales are good points. They could either be illustrating it isn't happening as much or that people don't care when it does happen. It would be difficult to say for sure but I like those numbers more than anecdotal evidence.

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
OK so you hate the iPhone. Therefore you have less than a dispassionate reason for being in this thread. Additionally, you are not a neutral bystander in the argument.

OK. Thank you for the clarity. I appreciate it. I'm on my way elsewhere.

Hate is probably too strong a word. I probably should have said it frustrates me when it has issues. But I guess all the phones do. I am fine with you moving on. I have no interest in conversing with someone who doesn't want to converse with me. Enjoy your time elsewhere.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site

I believe you think you're smarter than you really are.
Let's see ... if you sit on the hood of your brand new car and dent it, people will point and call you an *****. At the end of the day though, it was your fault not the maker of your vehicle.
Now sit on your brand new iPhone and bend it, weeeell the media then treats you like some kind of hero for discovering this unheard of flaw that Apple carelessly designed into their latest phone.
I feel when approaching a conundrum such as this "Was Bend Gate really overblown" from the proper perspective. It's rather easy too see that "Yes, Bend Gate was overblown" without the need for any numbers, or arguing on the internet what soever ... :rolleyes:

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I believe you think you're smarter than you really are.
Let's see ... if you sit on the hood of your brand new car and dent it, people will point and call you an *****. At the end of the day though, it was your fault not the maker of your vehicle.
Now sit on your brand new iPhone and bend it, weeeell the media then treats you like some kind of hero for discovering this unheard of flaw that Apple carelessly designed into their latest phone.
I feel when approaching a conundrum such as this "Was Bend Gate really overblown" from the proper perspective. It's rather easy too see that "Yes, Bend Gate was overblown" without the need for any numbers, or arguing on the internet what soever ... :rolleyes:

I'm sure you do believe that. And like I said you are certainly allowed your opinion just like everyone else. No eye roll needed.

anon(39328)

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site

For what it's worth, I agree with you. Nobody but Apple really knows how serious this problem is/was. If the unverified stories about the 6s frame being beefed up a bit turn out to be true, then maybe it was a pretty big deal for them. Was the story about it overblown? Maybe/maybe not. To be honest, I personally don't care since it hasn't affected me (yet?). My 6 hasn't bent during my several months of ordinary daily use, but my experience doesn't discount other people's experiences. I don't understand why people here and elsewhere feel the need to argue about petty things such as this. It's not like any of us actually designed the thing. If somebody's iPhone bends, I see no reason for myself to take it personally. And I also don't take offense to anti Apple discussions about the subject. It doesn't detract from my satisfaction with the iPhone 6, which I have to say I am very satisfied.

Anyway, that's my take on it.

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
For what it's worth, I agree with you. Nobody but Apple really knows how serious this problem is/was. If the unverified stories about the 6s frame being beefed up a bit turn out to be true, then maybe it was a pretty big deal for them. Was the story about it overblown? Maybe/maybe not. To be honest, I personally don't care since it hasn't affected me (yet?). My 6 hasn't bent during my several months of ordinary daily use, but my experience doesn't discount other people's experiences. I don't understand why people here and elsewhere feel the need to argue about petty things such as this. It's not like any of us actually designed the thing. If somebody's iPhone bends, I see no reason for myself to take it personally. And I also don't take offense to anti Apple discussions about the subject. It doesn't detract from my satisfaction with the iPhone 6, which I have to say I am very satisfied.

Anyway, that's my take on it.

Thanks for the reply. Most iPhone users I know are very happy with their devices. That isn't something I can say for many other vendors.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Fans of Apple products on an Apple site?!!? Mon Dieu!!!!!

Here's a thing......I've got an iPhone 6. It's not bent. I've got a Quasimodo. It had the screen flickering and a massively awful camera. If I say my iPhone 6 is perfect and my Quasimodo has a seriously bad camera and I had to load a leak to fix the screen flickering like a dying 1950s TV set, is that fact or is that fanboism?

Oh forgot to mention, I routinely roll over my iPhone and wake up laying on it. It's not bent. It that fanboism? Or is it fact?

You want to know what is fanboism? People's weight being called into question when someone mentions a bent Quasimodo. People being accused of putting a Quasimodo in a vise when they mention a bent Quasimodo. People being called liars when they mention a Quasimodo screen lifting.

THAT is fanboism. Me mentioning my iPhone isn't bent is fact. Of the millions upon millions of iPhones sold, the fact that we've got a handful of trolls posting about it on antiApple websites and then coming into Apple sites amplifying an event of their own creation is trolling.

Lil, you're working too hard on this. The trolls are not worth it. Save your blood pressure, my dear! :)

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
I stated my position. More data would be needed to know if it is overblown. You disagree. I don't think there is anymore arguing to be done.

I didn't just disagree, I took you to school on more than one occasion. How's that you say? Simple Algebra ... I even broke it down for you, and you still didn't get it ...

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I didn't just disagree, I took you to school on more than one occasion. How's that you say? Simple Algebra ... I even broke it down for you, and you still didn't get it ...

Wow. I didn't realize I'd been taken to school. Was it the sand analogy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR