Was bend gate really overblown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Because so far I've had what appears to be two slightly bent 6 pluses and it's really frustrating. If I lay the phone face down and I push on the bottom right and top left corners there's a slight rock back and forth. And it pisses me off because I'm very careful with my stuff and I keep getting bent phones. So really, wasn't bend gate a real issue then? All I did was have them in my pocket. That's it. Is my phone not really bent? I can't keep going to the Genius Bar to get this replaced.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Honestly, my 6 got bent pretty easy. My guy had it, I'd gifted it to him. Once it got bent he gave it back and got an S5 active. So I brought it to an Apple store.

The supervisor at the Apple store did admit that these iterations are "The most thin and likely to bend.". However he followed up by saying that it's not a structural problem but instead a user problem. He advised that we should treat these devices like the "Premium handsets they are.".

I think people stopped really talking about it because they came to expect it? I don't know... I know I'll be kiddie gloving this new 6.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
It takes a good bit of pressure to bend it. It's in the middle of the pack with other phones as far as being bendable goes. Any of the larger phones will bend with enough pressure. Apple is making the new 6s and 6s Plus stronger.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I've had my 6 Plus since November. No Bends No light bleeding no crescent camera no scratched side of screen no loud and obnoxious home button no nand problem.

It's been in my pocket and gets twisted and turned all the time. Been jammed against airplane arm rest white in my pocket many many times. Fell asleep on many many times. Fell off my bass guitar amp twice recently and still no bends scratching or cracks.
Don't use a Otter Box or any other high protection case. I use a super thin TPU case.

I just use it normally. I take care of it the same as than I did all of my previous phones.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I've had my 6 Plus since November. No Bends No light bleeding no crescent camera no scratched side of screen no loud and obnoxious home button no nand problem.

It's been in my pocket and gets twisted and turned all the time. Been jammed against airplane arm rest white in my pocket many many times. Fell asleep on many many times. Fell off my bass guitar amp twice recently and still no bends scratching or cracks.
Don't use a Otter Box or any other high protection case. I use a super thin TPU case.

I just use it normally. I take care of it the same as than I did all of my previous phones.

I've had the same experience. I have not been overly protective with my iPhone 6 Plus, the phone is always in my pocket, and I have only a thin case to protect the back from scratches. . . . No bending whatsoever.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I've had the same experience. I have not been overly protective with my iPhone 6 Plus, the phone is always in my pocket, and I have only a thin case to protect the back from scratches. . . . No bending whatsoever.

I'm almost disappointed that it hasn't bent. Lol.
I'm afraid I'll have the same 6 Plus come November 2015 and zero replacements.
Every time I see a post about 6 Plus bending I check my phone and it's still straight.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site

You know, that's something my guy was was using. An Otterbox. However, when I had the 6, I didn't use a case on it. It was immaculate even after being in pockets, in my purse, etc.

Do you think these heavy duty cases could be so heavy duty that they'll create even more pressure in certain situations? That could add to the stress on the frame and inevitably bend it, right?

Sent from my iPad Mini 3 using Tapatalk.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
You know, that's something my guy was was using. An Otterbox. However, when I had the 6, I didn't use a case on it. It was immaculate even after being in pockets, in my purse, etc.

Do you think these heavy duty cases could be so heavy duty that they'll create even more pressure in certain situations? That could add to the stress on the frame and inevitably bend it, right?

I guess it's possible. Just because a heavy duty case fits doesn't mean it fits.
Like a pair of shoes. If someone wears a size 7 they could probably get into a 6 1/2 although it may be uncomfortable and after time you could get calloused toes or abrasions from rubbing. But the pain will tell you it's something wrong that it's too tight. The iPhone lol can't tell us a case is too tight. Maybe bending is its way of telling us that.

I'm not using a heavy duty for any particular reason I just really like this Amzer TPU case I have. It adds very little weight or thickness to the phone and has a lightly textured back that makes it grippy.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I guess it's possible. Just because a heavy duty case fits doesn't mean it fits.
Like a pair of shoes. If someone wears a size 7 they could probably get into a 6 1/2 although it may be uncomfortable and after time you could get calloused toes or abrasions from rubbing. But the pain will tell you it's something wrong that it's too tight. The iPhone lol can't tell us a case is too tight. Maybe bending is its way of telling us that.

I'm not using a heavy duty for any particular reason I just really like this Amzer TPU case I have. It adds very little weight or thickness to the phone and has a lightly textured back that makes it grippy.

That's a great analogy and makes perfect sense. I like Amzer products myself, never had any issues with their quality.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease on that bending issue. I won't be using an Otterbox now for sure.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
That's a great analogy and makes perfect sense. I like Amzer products myself, never had any issues with their quality.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease on that bending issue. I won't be using an Otterbox now for sure.

It's possible that the iPhone 6/6P is meant to be kept as close to its natural state as possible by using thin flexible protection. I'm just speculating though.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Because so far I've had what appears to be two slightly bent 6 pluses and it's really frustrating. If I lay the phone face down and I push on the bottom right and top left corners there's a slight rock back and forth. And it pisses me off because I'm very careful with my stuff and I keep getting bent phones. So really, wasn't bend gate a real issue then? All I did was have them in my pocket. That's it. Is my phone not really bent? I can't keep going to the Genius Bar to get this replaced.
It took you long enough to create this thread.

If you can't continue going to that genius bar, then, I suggest you rid yourself of the phone and use something else.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I've used many different otter boxes on and off since the 6 Plus came out and mine is in perfect condition. No scratches on breaks or bends. I treat it like a phone not a piece of China. I have over 30 different cases I use and sometimes use it with out a case. I've had it in my pocket, front and back, in a backpack and dropped it. No issues with my phone for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xtremeled

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Maybe, Maybe not! Apple did do some design changes to specifically strengthen the case of the 6s. That says something right there. Of course that will be argued to a nearly comatose condition shortly I'm sure. LOL

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Maybe, Maybe not! Apple did do some design changes to specifically strengthen the case of the 6s. That says something right there. Of course that will be argued to a nearly comatose condition shortly I'm sure. LOL

Just curious where you're getting information on the design of a phone that literally has ZERO information out on the market with anyone who would actually share it...lol.

In response to our resident phone hypochondriac...yes, bend gate was overblown.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Was it overblown? Yup. By rabid anti Apple sites and resident trolls whose lives have no meaning unless they trash Apple. That sad lot. You know the ones. Where you go to their sites and they've got more discussions about Apple than about their own phones.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Just curious where you're getting information on the design of a phone that literally has ZERO information out on the market with anyone who would actually share it...lol.

In response to our resident phone hypochondriac...yes, bend gate was overblown.
I read it in Forbes. They said, "The bending issue will be improved by using different casing materials and internal mechanical design changes.". That does sound plausible and not a rumor grabbed from thin air. But, as you say, we don't know diddly do wop yet. But after last year's bendgate hoopla, it does make sense they would fortify those gizmos.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I read it in Forbes. They said, "The bending issue will be improved by using different casing materials and internal mechanical design changes.". That does sound plausible and not a rumor grabbed from thin air. But, as you say, we don't know diddly do wop yet. But after last year's bendgate hoopla, it does make sense they would fortify those gizmos.

Assuming it's the same yearly KGI "leak", while the guy/s have a good track record of getting some of the upcoming features right, many times they also throw pie in the sky thoughts out (like when they reported the iPhone 6 was going to have a removed home button in early '14). They also discussed NFC in the 5S (which didn't happen) and each year, it seems, they guesstimate that a camera improvement will be made that is never fully accurate.

All in all, while a better source than most random online people, putting full faith in their information is not advised, since it is in fact still just leaked "rumors".

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

It was absolutely overblown. Of course the Apple haters then jumped on the bandwagon and tried to make more of it than it really was. I carry my iPhone 6 Plus in my back pocket (occasionally in my front pocket), and have no signs of bending.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR