Split Screen multitasking

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Aren't there like two different things? One is actually being able to have split-screen multitasking and the other is just a slide over to peek at something like a message.

Probably going to be reserved as a selling point for the 6S+

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I know I heard him say it would be available on the iPhone too as part of iOS 9. But he didn't give more than that. It could mean only an iPhone with 2 gb of RAM. I say that because the iPad 2 it will be on has 2 gigs of RAM. But that may mean nothing. Maybe all with 4.7" screens and up. Could the split screen be managed on a 4" screen? And is the 4s getting iOS 9? We need more rumor leaks.

Pale Wraith

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
I know I heard him say it would be available on the iPhone too as part of iOS 9. But he didn't give more than that. It could mean only an iPhone with 2 gb of RAM. I say that because the iPad 2 it will be on has 2 gigs of RAM. But that may mean nothing. Maybe all with 4.7" screens and up. Could the split screen be managed on a 4" screen? And is the 4s getting iOS 9? We need more rumor leaks.

I think any split screen would be limited to the 6 Plus like the dual pane. Any iPhone that can run iOS 8 will get iOS 9.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

I think I know what part of the presentation you are talking about. It Is at the 1 hour 6 minute mark. Right after he finished talking about multitasking, the new app switcher appeared on the screen and he said "so iOS 9 delivers this great app switcher and that's available on iPhone as well". It transitions so quickly that you think he talking about the slide view and multitasking things he just covered. But sadly he's not. Just a new app switcher.

Tytanious

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I'd like to assume that the 6 Plus S will get the A8X and I desperately hope that it gets true multitasking as well. I definitely think the screen is large enough. I would be so happy to scroll through Twitter while on Safari or Facebook.

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I'd be happy with picture-in-picture on the 6s. Split screen multi-tasking seems neat on a bigger screen, but seems very confined on a small screen.

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I have no interest in split-screen multitasking on my iPhone; however, the "slide over to peek at something" like BreakingKayfabe mentioned would be nice.

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
I'd like to assume that the 6 Plus S will get the A8X and I desperately hope that it gets true multitasking as well. I definitely think the screen is large enough. I would be so happy to scroll through Twitter while on Safari or Facebook.

The iPhone already has "true" multitasking. It has the ability to do more than one thing at a time. Listening to iTunes while using Safari. That's the definition of multitasking.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
The iPhone already has "true" multitasking. It has the ability to do more than one thing at a time. Listening to iTunes while using Safari. That's the definition of multitasking.

What you can do in the background is very limited. True, or lets call it unrestricted to be precise, multitasking is not allowed on phones to conserve battery life. If reading about it in dev documentation isn't your thing, listen to this weeks Accidental Tech Podcast. They talk about how limited it is and why it is that way.

Playing audio in the background is the only thing that works that way. Other background tasks are limited to short timeframes at limited intervals to prevent resource hogging by an app.

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
What you can do in the background is very limited. True, or lets call it unrestricted to be precise, multitasking is not allowed on phones to conserve battery life. If reading about it in dev documentation isn't your thing, listen to this weeks Accidental Tech Podcast. They talk about how limited it is and why it is that way.

Playing audio in the background is the only thing that works that way. Other background tasks are limited to short timeframes at limited intervals to prevent resource hogging by an app.

Yup. The device and OS are totally capable of "unrestricted" (I call it free-for-all) multitasking; it is a derivative of OS X after all. But developers can't really be trusted to respect soft (not enforced) limits on resource usage. So Apple has taken the approach of giving developers specific APIs that Apple themselves create and curate, that respect limited resource usage, but also offer up solutions for most use cases. Its a much better design and provides for a much better and consistent user experience.

Using these APIs you have a few options as a developer. You can do whatever you want in the background for a short period of time (about 10 mins IIRC) after which your app is forced to terminate. If your background work is going to take longer than that, or needs to happen indefinitely, you have the options of using one of Apple's pre-built APIs for things like: GPS navigation, audio, uploads and downloads, background refresh, push, and now also video. You can complete almost any conceivable workflow using these APIs, but you're also forced to respect the resource limits of a mobile device. Android also takes a very similar approach for the most part.

This new split screen multitasking doesn't even break these rules, the only thing that's different is that 2 apps can now have focus at the same time. Once you swipe one off the screen, it goes back to following the same rules as all other background apps.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Who is saying Apple thought this up? Where did Apple say that they thought this up?

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW