My upgrade is coming up on Monday and I think I will make the plunge into an iPhone. Never had one before, and I have always used Galaxy devices (Note 4 currently ). I'm pretty tech savy as far as transferring my information. My main question is about the Google app. How well does it work? Does it integrate with Safari as far as Web searches or can I download Chrome? Or just how well google apps work with iOS in general?
    05-16-2015 03:39 PM
    You can totally download chrome if you want. It works rather well. Far as I can tell all the google apps work well on iOS, some even better than on android.
    05-16-2015 03:42 PM
    I've seen it said Google's apps are better on iOS than they are on their own OS...
    DavidCalvin and dsamp23 like this.
    05-16-2015 03:43 PM
    I've seen it said Google's apps are better on iOS than they are on their own OS...
    Depends. Google now and Google maps is say are not as good or integrated. Gmail is also better on android.
    05-16-2015 03:51 PM
    My upgrade is coming up on Monday and I think I will make the plunge into an iPhone. Never had one before, and I have always used Galaxy devices (Note 4 currently ). I'm pretty tech savy as far as transferring my information. My main question is about the Google app. How well does it work?
    The Google app work quite well on the iPhone.
    Does it integrate with Safari as far as Web searches or can I download Chrome?
    The search function is built-in to Safari and yes, you can install Google Chrome.
    Or just how well google apps work with iOS in general?
    In general, Google apps work well with iOS devices.
    05-16-2015 04:15 PM
    My upgrade is coming up on Monday and I think I will make the plunge into an iPhone. Never had one before, and I have always used Galaxy devices (Note 4 currently ). I'm pretty tech savy as far as transferring my information. My main question is about the Google app. How well does it work? Does it integrate with Safari as far as Web searches or can I download Chrome? Or just how well google apps work with iOS in general?
    Just make sure you get enough storage for your needs ... Seen too many people make that mistake and then blame  for everything lol
    05-16-2015 04:22 PM
    Good luck with your switch. Enjoy your iPhone!
    05-16-2015 04:56 PM
    Good luck! You may find some things you like better than Google.
    05-16-2015 05:01 PM
    Good luck with your decision, I would just wish they would improve the push gmail in IOS, other then that, no complaints.
    05-16-2015 05:40 PM
    Me to
    05-16-2015 06:42 PM
    Good luck and welcome aboard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    05-16-2015 06:43 PM
    No push to Gmail sucks. No custom notification sounds on third party apps.

Google apps are pretty good on ios. I was a nexus user for years and pretty pleased with Google on ios. Miss the nexus phone app though.

Love the iPhone 6 plus though. Battery life is unreal.
    05-16-2015 08:40 PM
    IMO I think google apps look much better on iOS devices and work quite well. Push notifications don't bother me at all. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Enjoy your new phone.
    05-16-2015 09:04 PM
    No push to Gmail sucks. No custom notification sounds on third party apps.

Google apps are pretty good on ios. I was a nexus user for years and pretty pleased with Google on ios. Miss the nexus phone app though.

Love the iPhone 6 plus though. Battery life is unreal.
    There are workarounds for Push.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1639069

https://gigaom.com/2013/07/05/push-a...ssages-on-ios/
    tanson1011 likes this.
    05-16-2015 10:00 PM
    I'm also moving from Android to iPhone. I had the first gen iPad with retina, but still liked my Android phones. After fourteen Android devices, a couple of which are quite specialized, I've given up on fragmentation.

My only complaint about the process is carrier related. I "jumped" and was charged a down payment "memory" upgrade fee which it's laughable. They're getting the whole amount anyway and they're keeping a loyal customer. I'm not going anywhere. On top of this, I wanted the 128gb model which they don't carry you stock and even attempted to down sell me to the 64gb stating "no-one comes in asking for the 128gb" to which I'm not surprised in the slightest. So the clerk took my sim leaving me without a phone for a week.

I'm looking forward to my new iPhone and only advise upgrading online if you get some clerk handling you like i was.

db
    05-17-2015 04:18 AM
    I use a Note 4 and an iPhone 6 simultaneously and I don't see a penny's worth of difference between the two when it comes to the Google apps.
    For Gmail some folks with new gmail accounts can't seem to get Push working properly.
    05-18-2015 09:19 AM
    Ditto. This is my first iPhone and I love it. I was heavy into rooting, romming, changing kernels, etc since the original droid phone. And the iPhone is a nice change. I don't have to worry about doing any of that stuff, the phone just WORKS. And the battery life is outstanding.

Google apps work pretty well. Could be better, but overall I have no complaints. My only gripe was not having google voice search readily available. I added the google chrome widget to notifications, problem solved. Good luck with your decision.
    05-19-2015 08:39 AM
    Personally every single app on google I've been able to use here on my iPhone.
    I've had the note 2 & almost grabbed a note 4 but stayed on iPhone 💔 love it and my hearing aid app is only on iPhone the accessories etc apps everything lol
    The only app I liked s little more on the note was google plus.
    I backup my pics still to google still use blogger ...
    You'll be fine 👌 and I love google maps lol
    ladyc0524 likes this.
    05-22-2015 08:08 PM
    Thanks guys. Currently enjoying my new iPhone! Battery life is the best I have ever seen
    05-23-2015 09:06 AM
    Thanks guys. Currently enjoying my new iPhone! Battery life is the best I have ever seen
    Congratulations! If we can help answer any questions, don't hesitate to ask.
    carraser891 likes this.
    05-23-2015 01:30 PM
    I'm gonna switch as soon as I can find someone with a iPhone 6plus to trade for a sprint nexus 6. I can't wait. I'm tired of the updating processes with Google.

Posted via the iMore App for Android
    05-23-2015 10:24 PM
    Well I have just made the switch from android to iOS and have to be honest I am loving the iPhone 6 plus.
    Years ago I had a 3GS and after buying an htc desire hd I swore I would never go back to Apple as I loved the way I could do anything on android. Forward wind several years and several android phones later and I have had enough of android, constantly waiting for updates and things to finally work properly, one of the most annoying examples of this is that I had my htc one max for 18 months and had been waiting 15 months for the sky go app to work on it whereas I bet it works fine on every apple device.
    My swap to iOS hasn't been plain sailing as I had awful trouble getting all of my contacts on my iPhone plus was unable to copy messages over which I was very annoyed about and I am no safari fan as I much prefer everything in desktop mode, the stock htc browser is much better imo, then there is the hassle of custom ringtones etc but even after some of the hassles I have had I am very glad I made the switch although I do love my one max and were it not for a faulty switch making the phone difficult to wake up then I probably would have stuck with it.
    05-24-2015 09:56 AM
    Good luck with your decision, I would just wish they would improve the push gmail in IOS, other then that, no complaints.
    Google did it to themselves. They used to let you set up your Gmail account on iOS using an Exchange Server. Worked perfectly. Now? Not so much.
    05-26-2015 06:35 AM
    Google did it to themselves. They used to let you set up your Gmail account on iOS using an Exchange Server. Worked perfectly. Now? Not so much.
    Very true, I used the exchange server for years and because of greed and a pissing match between Google and Microsoft, who looses in the end, the consumer as usual.

I would gladly pay for Google apps function to get the exchange server benefits, but they won't let me merge my existing free gmail account which I have had for 8 years and has all my labels and stored email on it with a paid version which sucks.
    05-26-2015 06:54 AM
    I agree 100% on the storage needs. I opted for the 128 GB iPhone 6 instead of the 64 GB iPhone 6 plus and ended up with 45 GB of space after syncing all of my music, podcasts and photos.
    05-26-2015 12:50 PM
27 12