Tried out the s6 edge for 4 days and immediately went back to iPhone 6 plus

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Chill down, "genious". My intentions were never to stir up the pot in here but some are obviously very easily offended obviously. Are you supposed to be some kind of uber-iMore user that everyone should respect of what? You seem to be very fond of yourself in your attitude. Don't bother to give me some kind of snobby answer because I wont read it. Have a nice day.

Help me understand something. You posted a picture that depicts an iPhone 6, released in 2014, as 'finally' catching up to 2012 released phone yet your "intentions were never to stir up the pot in here". Then you tell a fellow member not to bother giving you some type of a snobby answer in response to your, you guessed it, snobby answer. You are really batting a thousand here let me tell ya...

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Chill down, "genious". My intentions were never to stir up the pot in here but some are obviously very easily offended obviously. Are you supposed to be some kind of uber-iMore user that everyone should respect of what? You seem to be very fond of yourself in your attitude. Don't bother to give me some kind of snobby answer because I wont read it. Have a nice day.

ppaknwk.gif

Typical pot shot response taken by someone who can't back up the drivel they originally posted...why am I not surprised. You certainly don't have to respect me (nor do I care if you do at all), but you should be ready and willing to back up comments like you made when someone challenges them...unfortunately, it's quite clear you're incapable of that, and it kind of lends itself to why I responded to your original comment the way I did.

Obviously, on to the next one obviously...obviously.

Last edited:

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Actually iOS is the one that's behind. Apple have copied essential functions in the past from Android such as the notification pulldown. Android has way more possibilities and is more mature in that regard.

However, I enjoy iOS more as a system and have an iPhone 6 Plus because it's just a joy to use even though it's a very locked in system. It's so smooth and responsive though. But Android Lollipop is pretty smooth too at least Vanilla Android.

This picture comes to mind, and it's pretty true but it does not really do anything negative about the user experience and that's my point:

I don't think he was stirring up the pot. He was agreeing with Sean about how Android was not behind the times when compared to iOS. He didn't create that picture, we all know that. All he was doing was referring to some things that Android has had for awhile that iOS just got with iOS 8 to support the argument that Android is not behind the curve. He also wasn't saying that iOS sucked because of it, or Android was a deity because it had some features first. He also said that he preferred iOS.

I don't get the anger here. They are both good operating systems, and basically do the exact same thing, just in different ways. They both also copy each other, which usually ends up being for the better for the end user. I guess I'll just never understand why people fight over which OS is better...

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Im curious if you even read his response...lol. Perhaps you missed out on a few key points...

- Calling Android a more "mature" OS (whatever the hell that means, lol)
- Saying iOS is the operating system that is "behind"
- Saying that Android is a more capable operation system

...and then the cute little snide picture he posted.

It's interesting...you are attempting to paint his response in such an innocent light, when it spews the typical trollish attitude we see here all the time. Lipstick on a pig and such...and he wasn't even really that subtle with it.

I'm certainly not fighting over which OS is the best...I asked him to back up his comments because they were ridiculous. And I also took a jab because he couldn't help himself but post the anti-iPhone picture at the bottom of his supposedly "innocent" post.

I mean come one...he's not trying to "stir the pot", yet he comes on an iPhone-centric community forum and talks about how the operating system on the iPhone is behind the times, less "mature" than Android (lol) and posts a picture that was making the rounds on android central last fall?

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Im curious if you even read his response...lol. Perhaps you missed out on a few key points...

- Calling Android a more "mature" OS (whatever the hell that means, lol)
- Saying iOS is the operating system that is "behind"
- Saying that Android is a more capable operation system

...and then the cute little snide picture he posted.

It's interesting...you are attempting to paint his response in such an innocent light, when it spews the typical trollish attitude we see here all the time. Lipstick on a pig and such...and he wasn't even really that subtle with it.

I'm certainly not fighting over which OS is the best...I asked him to back up his comments because they were ridiculous. And I also took a jab because he couldn't help himself but post the anti-iPhone picture at the bottom of his supposedly "innocent" post.

iOS is behind in some respects (only gaining certain functions that have been available in Android for years) and Android has more options/capabilities due to its more open nature. But that doesn't mean it's necessarily the best OS. It is for some, and not for others.

To me, he only posted that picture to illustrate some of the things that iOS just recently got that have been on Android for quite awhile. You also glossed over where he praised iOS and said he preferred it.

Who cares if he posted that "snide picture"? It's honestly true, and just some dumb picture that's been floating around the internet for 8 months. Why do you have to get so upset? Brush it off, man. You love iOS. Apparently, he does too. As do I. But I'm also not so stuck on it that I can't see the positive qualities in another OS and see where my preferred OS is lagging behind the competition in some areas.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
And now you insinuate that I can't see the redeeming qualities in other operating systems? lol! I'm the one that made the initial argument to the now removed OP that Android was just as capable and legitimate as iOS...

I know where iOS falls short of Android, and I know where Android falls short of iOS. He didn't say it was behind in "some aspects", he flat out said it was behind in a general sense, which is why I challenged his post. And then there's the "mature" comment that seems to keep getting ignored, but that's probably because it was so asinine, even an apologist avoids it, lol.

In the end, why do you feel your response to this should be everyone's? I personally can't stand people who take pot shots at things without the gumption to back it up...I also find overly generic comments worthy of calling someone out. Had he said "iOS is behind in certain aspects", you would have never heard a word from me, but instead...he makes the blanket statement, and you get to see me jump in the ring.

You keep saying "To me, he only...", well that's great...to you he was innocent enough. To me, it was something else. It's perfectly ok for us to disagree on this...but why should your approach to the situation be the right one and mine be wrong? Because mine was challenging and brash? There are tons of people on this website that praise iOS because they use an Apple device that also don't know squat about it, or make idiotic comments on either side of the fence. Just because you use the devices doesn't mean you're excused from saying something bizarre or just flat out wrong.

The snide picture was just the icing on this cake, and was just a part of the whole. I mentioned it because of such...

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
*Using the Collective robotic voice*

Sean, you have been outed as an Android Crusader. Resistance is futile. Admit your offense and repent or face the consequences.

*Using TV commercial voice*

Said consequences include but are not limited to being made to kneel at the altar of IOS and shed a gallon of heartfelt tears over your abject betrayal of everything holy in the world of mobile devices.
The offender shall be made to don a white shift and do penance by crawling belly first to his local Apple store and swear allegiance to the mighty Appleseed.
The offender shall smash and burn all Android devices hidden in his house and scatter the ashes at the nearest bio hazard dumping site.
The offender shall sign an affidavit promising to never even look at an Android device on pain of immediate removal of eyes and hands.

*using TV anchor voice*

This concludes this emergency broadcast. Thank you.

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
Help me understand something. You posted a picture that depicts an iPhone 6, released in 2014, as 'finally' catching up to 2012 released phone yet your "intentions were never to stir up the pot in here". Then you tell a fellow member not to bother giving you some type of a snobby answer in response to your, you guessed it, snobby answer. You are really batting a thousand here let me tell ya...

Never mind the fact that the iPad was out before lots of these other big screen mobile devices. I really hate people like this, don't you?

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Here's a comparison:
iPhone 5 released in 2012 the steps to update to iOS 8.3

1. iOS 8.3 released tap update.

Nexus 4 released in 2012 here are the steps to update to Lollipop if you couldn't wait for the OTA.

Android 5.1 Lollipop for the Nexus 4 has started rolling out a few days ago, bumping up the smartphone's Android build from LRX22C to LMY470.

This makes the Nexus 4 one of the last few Nexus devices to receive the highly anticipated major maintenance upgrade from Google, which consists of a relatively large 174 MB of files meant to address major bugs and problems found in earlier versions of Android Lollipop.

But while some users have started receiving the over-the-air (OTA) update for Android 5.1, plenty of others are still waiting for the update to arrive on their phones. That's normal, since it usually takes several days for the update to reach all devices. However, if you cannot wait any longer and would like to update your Nexus 4 now, you can flash the factory image officially released by Google on the Android developers' website.

There are several things to remember when using this method. First, the factory image will install a stock Android 5.1 on your Nexus 4 and will wipe out all files and settings you have on your device. Unlike the OTA update, which installs over the phone's current software, this method will wipe everything out. So unless you don't care for your files, make sure to make a complete backup before doing the manual install.

Second, you need to become a developer and enable USB debugging. To do this, go to Settings > About on your Nexus 4 and tap on the build number seven times. This will automatically make you a developer. Now, go back to Settings, where you'll find the new Developer options. Tap that and make sure that USB debugging and Enable OEM unlock if you are upgrading from an older version of Android Lollipop are checked.

Third, you will need to install ADB and Fastboot to your PC or Mac. These will allow you to connect your Nexus 4 to your computer via a USB cable and flash the factory image from there. To install ADB and Fastboot for Windows, download the ADB installer for Windows found on the XDA developers' forum. Once downloaded, run the file as administrator and type a Y, which stands for Yes, to install ADB and Fastboot and the related drivers.

On a Mac, the process is easier. Simply open the terminal on your Mac and paste the following code from XDA. This will easily install ADB and Fastboot system-wide without the need for messy installers.

Alternatively, you can download the Android SDK from the Android Development website and follow the instructions for installing it correctly. This will automatically install ADB and Fastboot, which are located under the Platform > Tools folder.

Fifth, the bootloader needs to be unlocked. Manually installing Android 5.1 using a locked bootloader simply will not work. Once your Nexus 4 is connected to your computer, open command prompt on Windows or terminal on Mac in the ADB folder and type adb reboot bootloader. In Fastboot, type fastboot oem unlock. You will need to follow the instructions to unlock the bootloader and erase all data.

And lastly, sideloading a 174 MB file will need a lot of resources, so make sure you have at least 80 percent of battery life to see you through the entire process.

Once that's done, you can now start flashing Android 5.1 on your Nexus 4.

Step 1: Download the ZIP file from the Android Development website. This is the official Google file that will update your Nexus 4 from Android 5.0.1 straight to Android 5.1.

Step 2: Boot your Nexus 4 into bootloader mode either by typing ./adb reboot bootloader into the command prompt or terminal or pressing the volume down and power buttons together while the phone is turned off.

Step 3: Once in bootloader mode, go to recovery mode. Press the volume down button twice and the power button once to select Recovery mode. This will show an Android icon with a red exclamation point on the screen. Hold the power button and press the volume up button. You're now in recovery mode.

Step 4: Flash the factory image. While in recovery mode, press the volume down button once to highlight apply update from ADB and select it by pressing the power button once. In command prompt or terminal, change the directory to the location of your file, then type ./adb sideload [name of OTA file].zip to start pushing the update to your Nexus 4.

Step 5: Wait for your device to finish installing Android 5.1. Once complete, your Nexus 4 will automatically restart and boot in normal mode.

Congratulations! You now have Android 5.1 installed on your Nexus 4.

Google also released the factory images for the Wi-Fi and LTE versions of the Nexus 7 2013 recently, and you can also use the method detailed above to install the updates to your tablet if waiting for the OTA seems like a lifetime to you.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

trparky

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
I know that I'm going to regret getting in on this thread but here goes...

Someone mentioned that Android is a more mature OS because it had many of the features that iOS has now way earlier than iOS had it. No, that just means that Android is more on the bleeding edge than iOS is. In some ways being on the bleeding edge with the latest and greatest of features isn't all that it's cracked up to be. You end up having bugs and software features that don't work intuitively, properly, or don't at all.

iOS is a system that's evolving slowly, adding features at a pace at which new features can be perfected and made to work intuitively.

I switched from Android to iOS a couple of months ago and at first it was a bit jarring but the UI is very easy to pick up and use. There are definitely some things that I would change about the Settings app, primarily rearranging some items and putting others under different sub-menus but that's about it. I would love to meet up with Jony Ive and give him some pointers on the little tweaks I'd like to see come to future versions of iOS.

shanghaichica

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Here's a comparison:
iPhone 5 released in 2012 the steps to update to iOS 8.3

1. iOS 8.3 released tap update.

Nexus 4 released in 2012 here are the steps to update to Lollipop if you couldn't wait for the OTA.

Android 5.1 Lollipop for the Nexus 4 has started rolling out a few days ago, bumping up the smartphone's Android build from LRX22C to LMY470.

This makes the Nexus 4 one of the last few Nexus devices to receive the highly anticipated major maintenance upgrade from Google, which consists of a relatively large 174 MB of files meant to address major bugs and problems found in earlier versions of Android Lollipop.

But while some users have started receiving the over-the-air (OTA) update for Android 5.1, plenty of others are still waiting for the update to arrive on their phones. That's normal, since it usually takes several days for the update to reach all devices. However, if you cannot wait any longer and would like to update your Nexus 4 now, you can flash the factory image officially released by Google on the Android developers' website.

There are several things to remember when using this method. First, the factory image will install a stock Android 5.1 on your Nexus 4 and will wipe out all files and settings you have on your device. Unlike the OTA update, which installs over the phone's current software, this method will wipe everything out. So unless you don't care for your files, make sure to make a complete backup before doing the manual install.

Second, you need to become a developer and enable USB debugging. To do this, go to Settings > About on your Nexus 4 and tap on the build number seven times. This will automatically make you a developer. Now, go back to Settings, where you'll find the new Developer options. Tap that and make sure that USB debugging and Enable OEM unlock if you are upgrading from an older version of Android Lollipop are checked.

Third, you will need to install ADB and Fastboot to your PC or Mac. These will allow you to connect your Nexus 4 to your computer via a USB cable and flash the factory image from there. To install ADB and Fastboot for Windows, download the ADB installer for Windows found on the XDA developers' forum. Once downloaded, run the file as administrator and type a Y, which stands for Yes, to install ADB and Fastboot and the related drivers.

On a Mac, the process is easier. Simply open the terminal on your Mac and paste the following code from XDA. This will easily install ADB and Fastboot system-wide without the need for messy installers.

Alternatively, you can download the Android SDK from the Android Development website and follow the instructions for installing it correctly. This will automatically install ADB and Fastboot, which are located under the Platform > Tools folder.

Fifth, the bootloader needs to be unlocked. Manually installing Android 5.1 using a locked bootloader simply will not work. Once your Nexus 4 is connected to your computer, open command prompt on Windows or terminal on Mac in the ADB folder and type adb reboot bootloader. In Fastboot, type fastboot oem unlock. You will need to follow the instructions to unlock the bootloader and erase all data.

And lastly, sideloading a 174 MB file will need a lot of resources, so make sure you have at least 80 percent of battery life to see you through the entire process.

Once that's done, you can now start flashing Android 5.1 on your Nexus 4.

Step 1: Download the ZIP file from the Android Development website. This is the official Google file that will update your Nexus 4 from Android 5.0.1 straight to Android 5.1.

Step 2: Boot your Nexus 4 into bootloader mode either by typing ./adb reboot bootloader into the command prompt or terminal or pressing the volume down and power buttons together while the phone is turned off.

Step 3: Once in bootloader mode, go to recovery mode. Press the volume down button twice and the power button once to select Recovery mode. This will show an Android icon with a red exclamation point on the screen. Hold the power button and press the volume up button. You're now in recovery mode.

Step 4: Flash the factory image. While in recovery mode, press the volume down button once to highlight apply update from ADB and select it by pressing the power button once. In command prompt or terminal, change the directory to the location of your file, then type ./adb sideload [name of OTA file].zip to start pushing the update to your Nexus 4.

Step 5: Wait for your device to finish installing Android 5.1. Once complete, your Nexus 4 will automatically restart and boot in normal mode.

Congratulations! You now have Android 5.1 installed on your Nexus 4.

Google also released the factory images for the Wi-Fi and LTE versions of the Nexus 7 2013 recently, and you can also use the method detailed above to install the updates to your tablet if waiting for the OTA seems like a lifetime to you.

But if you wait for the OTA update you wouldn't have to go through all of that. To be fair at least on android you have the option of flashing updates if you don't want to wait/ your device isn't being supported. I just used to wait.

nancybout

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
He said he felt it was inferior that's all my take on it ...
However we do want more than One platform and android is ok my husband prefers it.I was thinking of the galaxy note 4 but decided on the 6 plus.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
But if you wait for the OTA update you wouldn't have to go through all of that. To be fair at least on android you have the option of flashing updates if you don't want to wait/ your device isn't being supported. I just used to wait.

I know that eventually the OTA is available but on iPhone there's no rollout a update is available to all day one.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I know that eventually the OTA is available but on iPhone there's no rollout a update is available to all day one.

That's pretty much my biggest issue with Android. Even on Nexus devices, there isn't any cohesion - for example, some Nexus 6 users get the update pushed one day, and others are still a week or more later. And not all Nexus devices get it at the same time, which makes no sense to me. And then you have phones from Sammy, HTC, etc, that all have to go through their processes and are usually 6 months behind when the update was actually released. And oftentimes these updates have significant improvements in them, which can be seen with the Lollipop update (which has suffered from bad memory leaks and battery issues).

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
When I had a HTC EVO 3D I believe it took a year for it to get a OTA for Ice Cream Sandwich. By then I went back to iPhone.
A year after release the 3D was EOL.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Nothing against your opinion, I'm just curious. What about Android feels behind to u ? I own a Note 4 & in some aspects I feel Android is ahead of IOS & IOS is ahead of Android.

Tapatalk'n On The IPhone 6 Plus 

Android isn't behind ios.... Just different

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
That's pretty much my biggest issue with Android. Even on Nexus devices, there isn't any cohesion - for example, some Nexus 6 users get the update pushed one day, and others are still a week or more later. And not all Nexus devices get it at the same time, which makes no sense to me. And then you have phones from Sammy, HTC, etc, that all have to go through their processes and are usually 6 months behind when the update was actually released. And oftentimes these updates have significant improvements in them, which can be seen with the Lollipop update (which has suffered from bad memory leaks and battery issues).

So it's a bad thing to wait for updates? With them waiting for them to pass their tests it means in theory the update would less likely be broken vs if every phone updated as soon as it's released.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
So it's a bad thing to wait for updates? With them waiting for them to pass their tests it means in theory the update would less likely be broken vs if every phone updated as soon as it's released.

No, that's not the point. Sometimes these updates fix serious issues, but they can take months to get. And I'm talking about carriers holding them up. The unlocked versions will have the update, but the carrier versions won't. I understand why it takes longer, but it sucks. And you don't have that issue on iOS.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
No, that's not the point. Sometimes these updates fix serious issues, but they can take months to get. And I'm talking about carriers holding them up. The unlocked versions will have the update, but the carrier versions won't. I understand why it takes longer, but it sucks. And you don't have that issue on iOS.

Yes but let's say ios 8.4 is so buggy it bricks your iPod, iPad or iPhone. Since all ios devices can update to it at the same time you'll have a lot of bricked phones

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes but let's say ios 8.4 is so buggy it bricks your iPod, iPad or iPhone. Since all ios devices can update to it at the same time you'll have a lot of bricked phones

Sure that is a possibility, but I still prefer this method to the "I hope my phone will get the new/latest update this year" method.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods