Is Otterbox Defender what I need? (situation specific)

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Next month I'm going to be spending 1 week in the backcountry and 1 week teaching at a summer camp in dusty and sometimes wet conditions.
Right now I have an Apple silicone case which I love for everyday stuff, but I really need my phone protected next month, especially since I can't keep it inside my pack, it's a work situation, I'll be using it all the time.

What's your input?

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I have used an OtterBox Defender in some pretty rough conditions, and I've been pleased with the way it protected my phone. Also, it let me not stress so much about damaging my device.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
If you're going to be near water I would say the life proof cases are better since they are also water proof

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
If you're going to be near water I would say the life proof cases are better since they are also water proof

I'd say the Lifeproof cases are really only relevant if you're going to be ON the water...Otterbox protects the device against the types of exposure you'd find outdoors (rain, sweat, humidity, etc). That and the Lifeproof case isn't overly durable...at least it wasn't on the 5S. The case we had felt extremely flimsy, but did it's job against waterproofing the device.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I will not be ON the water, I'm not working the Aquatics dept.
But it is a big camp where I help train future camp counselors, we do lots of activities outdoors, including cooking meals, washing equipment and gear etc. So the risk of water exposure is mostly through accidental splashing.
The phone will either be clipped to my daypack shoulder strap, or in my hands, the environment there is extremely rugged, it's all rocks, dirt, sand and dust.
I'll have to use it to take notes, pics, communicate with other trainers and trainees, check emails, etc.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I will not be ON the water, I'm not working the Aquatics dept.
But it is a big camp where I help train future camp counselors, we do lots of activities outdoors, including cooking meals, washing equipment and gear etc. So the risk of water exposure is mostly through accidental splashing.
The phone will either be clipped to my daypack shoulder strap, or in my hands, the environment there is extremely rugged, it's all rocks, dirt, sand and dust.
I'll have to use it to take notes, pics, communicate with other trainers and trainees, check emails, etc.

You don't need the Lifeproof case for that type of exposure...Lifeproof is good for a singular purpose, waterproofing...so unless you were going to go out on the water or in the pool or whatever WITH your device, the Lifeproof case would be overkill for the water exposure you will potentially see, and UNDERrated for the durability you're probably going to demand of the case.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
You don't need the Lifeproof case for that type of exposure...Lifeproof is good for a singular purpose, waterproofing...so unless you were going to go out on the water or in the pool or whatever WITH your device, the Lifeproof case would be overkill for the water exposure you will potentially see, and UNDERrated for the durability you're probably going to demand of the case.

Sounds about right. Otterbox, it is! :D

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Just for the heck of it you also might want to check out griffin. There new ones have the earpiece and speaker cover so it's really dust proof. I have both and for an extremely dusty environment I like the griffin.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Just for the heck of it you also might want to check out griffin. There new ones have the earpiece and speaker cover so it's really dust proof. I have both and for an extremely dusty environment I like the griffin.

Wow I just looked at it. Beefy! I've already ordered the Otterbox but I'll keep this one in mind, thanks.

Mr.Willie

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I have an Otterbox (Camo) on an M7. It's great. OB doesn't make the Camo Defender for the +, but that wasn't my issue. My issue is I don't care for the tacky Apple logo cut it on the back. So I went with the Pelican.

Something else to consider is a BT earpiece. I need to work and talk at the same time. I use the high end Plantronics. You could use one and keep your phone put away.

🖖

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Ok, so I have the Defender on my 6 Plus.
There seems to be a tiny bit of empty space between the screen and the screen cover, which forces me to really push down to text, open apps etc.
I read somewhere that usually that stops after a few days, that the screen cover eventually clings to the screen.
Is that true?
Because right now it's pretty annoying.

jakdillard

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
Ok, so I have the Defender on my 6 Plus.
There seems to be a tiny bit of empty space between the screen and the screen cover, which forces me to really push down to text, open apps etc.
I read somewhere that usually that stops after a few days, that the screen cover eventually clings to the screen.
Is that true?
Because right now it's pretty annoying.

It would have been better to buy one from bestbuy the first batches do have a screen protector issue but the latter batches have been better the first one I had terrible new one awesome