You probably did not buy the unlocked version, but rather the AT&T version, which paying full price or not, is locked to AT&T's network.
    This is FALSE. Full price from Apple comes unlocked. Doesn't matter if the intended use was for Att.
    04-24-2015 12:13 AM
    This is FALSE. Full price from Apple comes unlocked. Doesn't matter if the intended use was for Att.
    Did this stop with the iPhone 6/6 Plus? Because I've always had to manually have my iPhone's unlocked after the fact with AT&T for years now.
    04-24-2015 12:16 AM
    Did this stop with the iPhone 6/6 Plus? Because I've always had to manually have my iPhone's unlocked after the fact with AT&T for years now.
    It's been the case for me since the 5. I got the 5 on launch day when they weren't offering the unlocked version. I paid full price for use on AT&T and it was unlocked. The 5S I bought subsidized, so no. And the 6 Plus I have now was a launch day device that I pre-ordered for AT&T and paid full price for. Unlocked.

The one thing all these things have in common: I made the purchase through Apple and not through AT&T.

Did you pay full price for your Plus you have now through Apple?
    04-24-2015 12:27 AM
    It's been the case for me since the 5. I got the 5 on launch day when they weren't offering the unlocked version. I paid full price for use on AT&T and it was unlocked. The 5S I bought subsidized, so no. And the 6 Plus I have now was a launch day device that I pre-ordered for AT&T and paid full price for. Unlocked.

The one thing all these things have in common: I made the purchase through Apple and not through AT&T.

Did you pay full price for your Plus you have now through Apple?
    Yup...iPhone 5, 5S and 6Plus all bought full retail through Apple...and none of them came unlocked, I had to contact AT&T to have the 5 and the 5S unlocked, and the 6 Plus I haven't bothered (since I use AT&T regardless), but I assumed it was the same.
    04-24-2015 12:33 AM
    Yup...iPhone 5, 5S and 6Plus all bought full retail through Apple...and NONE of them came unlocked, I had to contact AT&T to have the 5 and the 5S unlocked, and the 6 Plus I haven't bothered, but I assumed it was the same.
    Your phone is unlocked. I guarantee you that.
    04-24-2015 12:34 AM
    It's unlocked. Just restore on iTunes like Sean said and you'll see the message.
    What do you mean by restore??? Like back it up and restore as new or what???
    04-24-2015 12:36 AM
    What do you mean by restore??? Like back it up and restore as new or what???
    Back it up on iTunes, restore and you'll see the unlocked message when it finishes restoring. Then you can go ahead and restore your backup.
    04-24-2015 12:39 AM
    Your phone is unlocked. I guarantee you that.
    I'm sure you're right, not worried about it since I don't plan to leave AT&T before the next iPhone comes out...I'll check it then, lol!
    04-24-2015 12:41 AM
    Back it up on iTunes, restore and you'll see the unlocked message when it finishes restoring. Then you can go ahead and restore your backup.
    Damn that's going to take along time. LOL!!!
    04-24-2015 12:43 AM
    Damn that's going to take along time. LOL!!!
    I'm sure you can just pop in a working T-Mobile sim in it right now and it'll be fine.
    WildCatStud333 likes this.
    04-24-2015 12:45 AM
    I'm sure you're right, not worried about it since I don't plan to leave AT&T before the next iPhone comes out...I'll check it then, lol!
    I ain't leaving either. I practically have unlimited data for 2 lines for $105 and their service only gets better.
    04-24-2015 12:46 AM
    I'm sure you can just pop in a working T-Mobile sim in it right now and it'll be fine.
    I think I'll try that before I back up restore restore from back up. Thanks I appreciate everyone's help.
    04-24-2015 12:48 AM
    All iPhones bought through Tmobile came factory unlocked...as were Verizon devices i believe (if I remember correctly).
    I bought mine outright through T-Mobile and had to call to get it unlocked. Because I paid for the phone in full on purchase, I did';t have to wait the 40 days to get it unlocked. My phone was unlocked the same day I called and I got the email saying it was unlocked about three hours after calling. I verified the phone was locked the day I got it by inserting a AT&T sim. It said the sim was invalid.

Once the phone was unlocked, all I had to do was insert the AT&T sim, enter my iCloud email and password and it began working.

To get the unlocked version from the start, you have to buy it from Apple. T-Mobiles iPhones are all locked if bought from T-Mobile.
    04-24-2015 03:11 AM
    Bottom line is if you bought it direct from the Apple Store and paid full retail, it should be unlocked.

I have always bought my T Mobile iPhones directly from the Apple Store and every one has been factory unlocked for any GSM network. But, they will not work on Verizon.
    04-24-2015 05:02 AM
    But, they will not work on Verizon.
    The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus will.
    04-24-2015 10:08 AM
    I actually bought an unlocked iPhone 6 for T-Mobile, AT&T and Verizon. I was able to activate it for my dad on Sprint.

A1549
    04-24-2015 10:33 AM
    This must have been A1549 CDMA (world phone model)

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk
    04-24-2015 12:35 PM
    I didn't know if Apple Store reps would actually pull an unlocked phone out of stock if you came in asking for, say, an iPhone 6 Plus on AT&T and decided to buy it outright. It does make sense they 'should' sell that version. If you buy it outright from AT&T, then it would still be locked upon purchase, correct?

04-24-2015 12:38 PM
    I didn't know if Apple Store reps would actually pull an unlocked phone out of stock if you came in asking for, say, an iPhone 6 Plus on AT&T and decided to buy it outright. It does make sense they 'should' sell that version. If you buy it outright from AT&T, then it would still be locked upon purchase, correct?

If you buy it outright from AT&T, yeah. Those are the carriers for you lol
    robbrick likes this.
    04-24-2015 02:05 PM
    You can contact Apple support to get your iPhone SIM lock status, some staff will give you that detail but sometimes not.
    Just contacted Apple support. My iPhone is unlocked.
    04-24-2015 03:50 PM
    Got my girl off my plan cuz we're not together anymore. Got the promotional individual 15GB plan from AT&T. Still thinking about switching to T-Mobile to try it out cuz I want unlimited. If I don't like it I can switch back to AT&T cuz I won't be under contract and I'll be using my iPhone
    Closingracer likes this.
    04-24-2015 05:17 PM
    Yes you do. As Sean said:

You probably did not buy the unlocked version, but rather the AT&T version, which paying full price or not, is locked to AT&T's network. Call AT&T and ask them to unlock your phone and make sure your bill is paid up-to-date.

Since you bought the phone outright, you are probably not under contract with AT&T so they shouldn't hassle you at all.
    No I don't believe so ....remember seeing a video about this on technobuffalo. If you bought any iPhone 6 or 6 plus directly at the Apple Store and paid full price the phone is unlocked already.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    04-24-2015 06:41 PM
    Got my girl off my plan cuz we're not together anymore. Got the promotional individual 15GB plan from AT&T. Still thinking about switching to T-Mobile to try it out cuz I want unlimited. If I don't like it I can switch back to AT&T cuz I won't be under contract and I'll be using my iPhone
    Test drive t-Mobile first with test drive. They charge your card for the price of the phone but only a hold so make sure you have the funds there and they let you try out their network for a week with an iPhone 5S

WildCatStud333 likes this.
    04-24-2015 06:42 PM
    Test drive t-Mobile first with test drive. They charge your card for the price of the phone but only a hold so make sure you have the funds there and they let you try out their network for a week with an iPhone 5S

I switched to T-Mobile. My iPhone is unlocked. Switched Sims. Have unlimited everything now. Once I go back to work Monday and see how the service is there. I'll make my mind up. I can switch back to AT&T anytime. No contracts no device payments.
    04-24-2015 07:11 PM
    I switched to T-Mobile. My iPhone is unlocked. Switched Sims. Have unlimited everything now. Once I go back to work Monday and see how the service is there. I'll make my mind up. I can switch back to AT&T anytime. No contracts no device payments.
    Personally I would of test drived t-mobile first since I find switching a pain in the *** and I've done it 3 times in the past year or so

04-24-2015 07:24 PM
52 123