Swapped phones for a day to feel each ecosystem from iOS to Android

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
What's good people....
So yesterday my brother wanted to feel how the iPhone is since he has never used one so we made a deal to swap each other's phone ( iPhone 6plus and Samsung Galaxy s6 edge) for a day and see how each ecosystems holds up.

So my first impressions were , interesting design. I kinda liked the feel and materials they used.... Reminded me a lot of the iPhone 4 with glass front and back. ... Samsung did a good job there, upgrading from plastic, some may disagree but I think it was a bold move.
Looking closer at the device and the edges, I noticed the bend is pretty noticeable and appealing, I played with the the feature that lets the edges of the phone light up depending on the contact you assign and which colour, pretty neat feature.

The guerrilla glass Samsung used in the edge is proven to take heavy damage without braking so that's one tick in my books as well.
So the design is cool, what else did I like about the phone? The camera was good, very saturated and made colours look brighter and fictional in a sense. Did I like that? Not really, I'm used to real colours that the eye may see like how the iPhone 6plus displays the photos......
The screen and display is hands down amazing wow..... That's the first thing that I noticed and was kind of jealous lol.
The 1080p screen on my 6plus is beautiful , but the screen on that phone is crazy.... Very vibrant, crisp and super duper sharp. A big plus in my books.....

So enough about aesthetics, the new touch wiz I used for a day was still lacking stability and the experience with the software was a headache. I found it difficult to find certain menus where in iOS everything is just there and works seamlessly....

The battery life was atrocious, we swapped phones at appropriately 10am with 100% charged on both, by 3pm the phone was on 17% with light use, just Facebook, Instagram and a few calls testing out the speaker quality etc.
I noticed the app quality compared to iOS isn't close, especially gaming.... A few stutters there and then but it wasn't that bad.

This morning where I saw my brother I informed him  is the only device I'm truly content with regardless of specs, features and crazy design aesthetics.
It just works right. I kinda missed my phone by the end of the day lol.....
Using the Samsung Galaxy s6 edge made me realise although it may have great features and a few innovative gestures and technologies like fast charge etc, there is just something missing... I call it iOS ..... Simplicity that's refined so well it's enjoyable.

His response from using my 6plus for a day was generally surprising.... He actually liked it.... He has always been against  but appreciated the refinements and simplicity the 6plus had.
He also applauded the battery life he experienced, when I picked it up it was on 36% with heavy usage .
I had to charge his galaxy s6 edge twice........

Anyhow, just thought I should share my story....
Church.......

Sent from my iPhone 6plus using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Shahzad Ghani

Jun 28, 2014
Visit site
interesting.. i agree to that. galaxy s6 or edge: putting heavy specs on an android would always result in that no matter what they do.
battery still sucks in stand by time and usage time compare to iphone particularly iphone 6 plus. i like my ip 6 battery but i love the crazy battery of iphone 6 plus and about to get iphone 6 plus by selling my iphone 6...
i compared note 4 QHD display with iphone 6 on other day by playing same video on both... i liked the details, brightness and sharpness on iphone better ... note 4 was little dark in particular details like " face tones"

samsung puts some cool features like ir blaster, fast charging but always ends up copying apple philosophy and even doing that in poor manners. they are not doing their own thing which would be perfect for competition.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
The S6 and S6 edge are no doubt the best looking Samsung devices made. And the S6 is getting very positive impressions.

I still like iPhones better, but I'd definitely get the S6 otherwise.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for sharing your experience with us, sir, and I'm glad your brother enjoyed using your iPhone 6 Plus. Is he considering getting one now that he has given it a try?

flybub

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for sharing. There are probably a few on here who go back and forth between the two platforms and I'm one of them. I use my 6 plus for a week or so then I switch to my droid turbo. I love the smoothness of iOS, but I also love the capabilities of android. I don't want to lock myself into apples ecosystem completely and that is one reason I won't make the switch for good. I do have a 2014 MacBook Pro my wife got me but since going back to college it is primarily a windows based school and all my homework needs to be done in Office 2103 and I'm also doing work in Visual Studio so I spend majority of my time on my windows laptop. The MacBook sits on my desk and hasn't seen much activity since thanksgiving last year. The Apple updates cannot be beat however. iOS 8.4 is now being sent to developers, while my droid turbo hasn't sniffed lollipop yet and it has been a year. Both have their advantages and disadvantages so I will continue to use both.

Thanks again for your experience

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
"So enough about aesthetics, the new touch wiz I used for a day was still lacking stability and the experience with the software was a headache. I found it difficult to find certain menus where in iOS everything is just there and works seamlessly...."

This is why I avoid Samsung in particular. And I'm not a fan of Android either, but the LG G3 I had for a couple of months was . . . well, okay.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
"So enough about aesthetics, the new touch wiz I used for a day was still lacking stability and the experience with the software was a headache. I found it difficult to find certain menus where in iOS everything is just there and works seamlessly...."

This is why I avoid Samsung in particular. And I'm not a fan of Android either, but the LG G3 I had for a couple of months was . . . well, okay.

Honestly the only good android skins are HTC, LG, and SONY. Stock android or Motorola is ideal though.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm a big advocate for giving everything a try. Why not?

It's experience that'll help you broaden your perspective or make you love what you have more.

Considering I used to be an advocate for Android, the day I started using my 5c, my world opened up.

Since then I've owned many devices and I'm enjoying all the experiencing that I can.

21stNow

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
So enough about aesthetics, the new touch wiz I used for a day was still lacking stability and the experience with the software was a headache. I found it difficult to find certain menus where in iOS everything is just there and works seamlessly....

I think that the ease of use of the menus depends on what you are used to. You are used to iOS and find Android menus confusing while I am used to Android and find iOS menus confusing. To be honest, Windows Phone and BlackBerry 10 beat both Android and iOS in the menu-sensibility department, in my opinion.

There are other points that I disagree with in your assessment (both good and bad about either OS), but I think that those come down more to personal preferences and how we actually use our phones.

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I think that the ease of use of the menus depends on what you are used to. You are used to iOS and find Android menus confusing while I am used to Android and find iOS menus confusing. To be honest, Windows Phone and BlackBerry 10 beat both Android and iOS in the menu-sensibility department, in my opinion.

There are other points that I disagree with in your assessment (both good and bad about either OS), but I think that those come down more to personal preferences and how we actually use our phones.

Fair enough. Maybe I'll have another day with his devices. He has a lot of android phones so I'll have a more accurate review . But I think I'll be staying with iOS for life.

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm a big advocate for giving everything a try. Why not?

It's experience that'll help you broaden your perspective or make you love what you have more.

Considering I used to be an advocate for Android, the day I started using my 5c, my world opened up.

Since then I've owned many devices and I'm enjoying all the experiencing that I can.

Agreed. Opening your mind to multiple ecosystems in technology definitely makes you love your device even more. I noticed this after using his phone for the day although I was stunned by the features on the edge....I guess when you are used to something and familiar to it, changing devices is a bit of a mission...

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I would have expected the battery to last longer than it did. That's interesting.

I was pretty surprised to how bad the battery life was ..... I made sure all of my apps were closed( something I don't need to do on iOS ) and some of the cool features like smart stay off to preserve battery. I even uploaded a widget that shows the ram usage , battery and overall diagnostic test of the system and I saw the ram that was used when all applications were closed, was over 80%. I recall the Samsung Galaxy s6 has 3gb of ram , I was shocked to how much is needed to run its OS when all apps are closed compared to  with just 1 gb of ram which runs so much smoother.
This fact alone made me miss my iPhone.....

Beyond Fire

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
The S6 and S6 edge are no doubt the best looking Samsung devices made. And the S6 is getting very positive impressions.

I still like iPhones better, but I'd definitely get the S6 otherwise.

It's only a matter of time before you make a thread asking if you should keep your iPhone or get an S6.

Sent from my Golden Apple Six

shanghaichica

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I've not used the S6 but recently had a note 4 that I used for a couple of weeks with my iPhone 6 plus. I had a similar experience to the OP. I also wanted to add that as I charge my iPhone with my iPad charger it takes about the same amount of time to charge as the note 4 with its fast charging.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Doesn't iPhones use gorilla glass as well but isn't advertised as such ? I think I remember them ( Corning ) saying Apple was one though not publicly advertising it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I was pretty surprised to how bad the battery life was ..... I made sure all of my apps were closed( something I don't need to do on iOS ) and some of the cool features like smart stay off to preserve battery. I even uploaded a widget that shows the ram usage , battery and overall diagnostic test of the system and I saw the ram that was used when all applications were closed, was over 80%. I recall the Samsung Galaxy s6 has 3gb of ram , I was shocked to how much is needed to run its OS when all apps are closed compared to  with just 1 gb of ram which runs so much smoother.
This fact alone made me miss my iPhone.....

I've been a long time Android user and never had it that bad with the S series with my S2, S3 and S4 and Note series with the 3 and 4. Battery life wasn't the greatest but it was better then what you experienced.

Android uses a lot of ram no matter how much you have so I wouldn't worry about it because it's smart enough to know where to allocate its usage

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711