Just ditched the Galaxy S5 for the 6 Plus

melbsteve

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
I just don't feel it's fair to assign the hardware's success solely on the marketing...lots of products over the years have been marketed heavily but were actually complete junk, so they die off quickly...Samsung has some longevity going for it now with the Galaxy brand.

I'm with you on the Galaxy brand, that was a smart decision which has paid off. But again, that falls under marketing doesn't it. And as you said, there has been a lot of junk and yet people flocked to it because as we all know the not so tech savvy people will often pick the phone they have simply been subjected to most often.

Full disclosure, apart from once or twice in a phone shop and the S4 Mini, which my brother used to carry around for work reasons, I have not had much contact with Samsung phones, so I acknowledge that I might not be the best person to make these claims (so tell me if I'm wrong). But when I think of all sorts of reviews, the majority of them were not exactly gushing over the S5, S4, and so on (I exclude the Note series from this). Therefore to me it seems more like Samsung are starting to produce hardware that's worthy of praise just now (S6/S6 Edge), but funnily are in a position that suggests they've been doing it for years. That I attribute to marketing.

shanghaichica

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm with you on the Galaxy brand, that was a smart decision which has paid off. But again, that falls under marketing doesn't it. And as you said, there has been a lot of junk and yet people flocked to it because as we all know the not so tech savvy people will often pick the phone they have simply been subjected to most often.

Full disclosure, apart from once or twice in a phone shop and the S4 Mini, which my brother used to carry around for work reasons, I have not had much contact with Samsung phones, so I acknowledge that I might not be the best person to make these claims (so tell me if I'm wrong). But when I think of all sorts of reviews, the majority of them were not exactly gushing over the S5, S4, and so on (I exclude the Note series from this). Therefore to me it seems more like Samsung are starting to produce hardware that's worthy of praise just now (S6/S6 Edge), but funnily are in a position that suggests they've been doing it for years. That I attribute to marketing.

Well the S3 was well received by the critics and the general public. It seems that they lost their way work the S4 and S5. However as you point out they seem to be back on track with the S6/S6 edge.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm with you on the Galaxy brand, that was a smart decision which has paid off. But again, that falls under marketing doesn't it.

Maybe initially, but that would account for ANY new device. I do not feel the Galaxy line of smart phones is as popular as it is now simply because of marketing.

melbsteve

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
Maybe initially, but that would account for ANY new device. I do not feel the Galaxy line of smart phones is as popular as it is now simply because of marketing.

I think they did really well roping people in when the iPhone hype sort of was wearing off a little. Back then they did a terrific job making potential customers think "it's either iPhone or Samsung Galaxy" (the next big thing). No one else really chimed in and those two fractions started growing and Samsung made sure there's no love lost between them.

If the S3 at the time really was on a par with the iPhone and all those bold Samsung claims were justified, my bad. My suspicion would have been that as with Touch ID lately (S5) they made sure they had all these fancy features on paper, boasted them big time (leads us back to marketing) but in reality they were clunky at best. :raised-eyebrow:

John Crist

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
People flock to Samsung so they can call iPhone users the sheep.

And yet that's... exactly what they do, too; Sheep-life behavior. Funny seeing the pot call the kettle black (or white, depending on your chassis color).

At the end of the day, a device is a device. You choose the tool that works best for you. iPhones work best for x demographic, Android phones work for y demographic. BlackBerries work for z demographic, which I just happen to be part of. Does it make anyone particularly right or wrong? No. Is any one device better than the other? No.

3GB of RAM >/= 1GB of RAM when dealing with optimized software, such as iOS or BB10.

EDIT: I'm not 100% sure why my global posts number isn't showing up.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I think they did really well roping people in when the iPhone hype sort of was wearing off a little. Back then they did a terrific job making potential customers think "it's either iPhone or Samsung Galaxy" (the next big thing). No one else really chimed in and those two fractions started growing and Samsung made sure there's no love lost between them.

If the S3 at the time really was on a par with the iPhone and all those bold Samsung claims were justified, my bad. My suspicion would have been that as with Touch ID lately (S5) they made sure they had all these fancy features on paper, boasted them big time (leads us back to marketing) but in reality they were clunky at best. :raised-eyebrow:

Eh it wasn't really clunky imo....they just decided to throw everything but the kitchen sink at their customers and hope they will use some of it. Honestly I loved the IR blaster on the phones and I liked some of he other features like multi window and some other small stuff. With the S6 though they are still throwing everything but the kitchen sink but it's turned off by default or just not there any more. People want to clamor on bloatware but every phone or pc is going to have it to an extent. PC's will always have it unless you buy the signature edition at Microsoft stores and even then I might say there is still bloat on it but haven't seen all of the apps on those computers to tell you. Iphones have bloatware that can't be deleted. Macs I haven't used in like forever but I can say it hays iTunes which I would consider bloatware since I don't want it lol. Even nexus devices has apps that can't be deleted and as such is bloatware.

From reviews so far the s6 is blazing fast with battery life issues but otherwise a great phone.

Samsung does want to call iPhone users wall huggers but with my experience with iphones has been different. I had a iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 and now iPhone 6 plus and never really had to worry about battery life

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

21stNow

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Marketing, that's literally all it is. Samsung has poured a crazy amount into it, and I don't even blame people for falling for it. It's just how we tick.

The same could be said for iPhone users, though it would be equally as inaccurate as the original statement. People have different preferences and needs for their smartphones. Different OEMs can satisfy those needs. I don't know why it is hard to believe, but there are actually satisfied Galaxy S line customers just like there are satisfied iPhone customers.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
The same could be said for iPhone users, though it would be equally as inaccurate as the original statement. People have different preferences and needs for their smartphones. Different OEMs can satisfy those needs. I don't know why it is hard to believe, but there are actually satisfied Galaxy S line customers just like there are satisfied iPhone customers.

I love Samsung devices. I loved the Note 4. Battery life issues and wanting to try an iPhone again is one of the few reasons why I got an iPhone but Samsung phones are just as good and so are HTC and etc

melbsteve

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site

I'm just going to quote this link here
Samsung's $14bn is 'Biggest Marketing Budget in History'

The South Korean company is expected to spend around $14 billion (?8.5bn, ?10.3bn) on marketing and promotion of its products in 2013, which is the biggest (as a percentage of its total revenue) advertising budget of any company - ever.
According to data from Thomson Reuters, Samsung will spend 5.4% of its annual revenue on advertising and promotion, more than any other of the world's top 20 companies by sales.
To put it in context, all we need to do is look at Samsung big rival in the smartphone and tablet market - Apple.
The Cupertino company, which is among the most valuable in the world, spends just 0.6% of its revenue on advertising, preferring to use brand loyalty to build sales. This equates to just over $1bn according to data from Asymco.

now, I do know that these are 2013 numbers and that Apple has lifted their game in 2014 and attempts to close that gap. But 2012/2013 are arguably the years where Samsung's market share went through the roof... and $14billion to $1billion is quite a statement. In those years Apple's expenditures have been a fraction of what Samsung pulled off. Not saying Apple does not market their products, but it's certainly not as 'in your face' as what Samsung has been doing. That's all I'm trying to argue.

shanghaichica

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site

I agree. I was once a very satisfied Samsung customer. I still think their phones are good they just aren't for me anymore.

21stNow

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm just going to quote this link here
Samsung's $14bn is 'Biggest Marketing Budget in History'

The South Korean company is expected to spend around $14 billion (?8.5bn, €10.3bn) on marketing and promotion of its products in 2013, which is the biggest (as a percentage of its total revenue) advertising budget of any company - ever.
According to data from Thomson Reuters, Samsung will spend 5.4% of its annual revenue on advertising and promotion, more than any other of the world's top 20 companies by sales.
To put it in context, all we need to do is look at Samsung big rival in the smartphone and tablet market - Apple.
The Cupertino company, which is among the most valuable in the world, spends just 0.6% of its revenue on advertising, preferring to use brand loyalty to build sales. This equates to just over $1bn according to data from Asymco.

now, I do know that these are 2013 numbers and that Apple has lifted their game in 2014 and attempts to close that gap. But 2012/2013 are arguably the years where Samsung's market share went through the roof... and $14billion to $1billion is quite a statement. In those years Apple's expenditures have been a fraction of what Samsung pulled off. Not saying Apple does not market their products, but it's certainly not as 'in your face' as what Samsung has been doing. That's all I'm trying to argue.

I don't deny that either company has spent a lot of money on marketing. My post was to address the statement that you made: "Marketing, that's literally all it is." (emphasis mine). Marketing did help to propel the Galaxy S and the iPhone into the marketplace, but marketing is not the only reason that those products stay there.

meanllama

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
I just came back to Apple from the Galaxy s5. I have been an Apple fan since the original iPhone came out. Early last year, I made the stupid decision to go for the bigger screen and move to Android. I was lulled by the high screen resolutions, pixels, graphics, customizability ....blah blah. The phone was pretty cool in the beginning. However, the hype of the new "features" and "gimmicks" wore off quickly. Those new things I thought were cool to have only worked half the time and I never ended up using them much anyway. Unless I rooted my phone, I was unable to get that bloatware off. In the end, all it did was slow down my device considerably.

4 months into the phone I was FINALLY able to update to Lollipop. Weeks after the update, it was increasingly becoming difficult to make phone calls or text. The phone would freeze, lock up, and force close in the middle of typing or reading.

As the frustration continued, I decided to wipe my device and start over fresh. That lasted 4 days. Then it was back to the freezing, locking up, and force closing.

I was fed up. I went to Best Buy and forked over the extra money to become eligible to get the new 6+. My wife and I switched to Apple and I have never looked back. I missed the usability, simplicity, and using something that "just worked".

Bottom line is I made a mistake I will never make again. Apple all the way.

trparky

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
In some ways I kind of wish that I kept my old Note 3 for a little bit longer and waited until the iPhone 6s or iPhone 7 came out simply because of newer hardware considering that the new iPhone is just a couple of months away. But there's other parts of me that simply don't care. Yes, I could have waited until the new version of the iPhone came out and then changed over but then I could have been in the Lollipop mess that a lot of Android users are in right now.

Does that mean I'm not happy with my iPhone 6 Plus? No, not at all. I couldn't be happier with it. I use it, I don't fight with it.

As syspry said in a prior post, the quality of Google's code has been in a steady decline ever since KitKat came out. I'd have to agree with that. And from what I have heard Lollipop is garbage.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
In some ways I kind of wish that I kept my old Note 3 for a little bit longer and waited until the iPhone 6s or iPhone 7 came out simply because of newer hardware considering that the new iPhone is just a couple of months away. But there's other parts of me that simply don't care. Yes, I could have waited until the new version of the iPhone came out and then changed over but then I could have been in the Lollipop mess that a lot of Android users are in right now.

Does that mean I'm not happy with my iPhone 6 Plus? No, not at all. I couldn't be happier with it. I use it, I don't fight with it.

As syspry said in a prior post, the quality of Google's code has been in a steady decline ever since KitKat came out. I'd have to agree with that. And from what I have heard Lollipop is garbage.

I liked lollipop . I installed it on the note 4 i still have waiting on Verizon mailing me my bill so I can send that to sprint so they can give me the gift card for the payment of the finance charge on the note 4 on Verizon.

Updating as soon as possible isn't always the smart thing . iOS 8.3 screwed up Touch ID for me on my iPad Air 2 on purchasing apps

trparky

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
Who's saying that Apple products are without issues? I certainly did not say such a thing.

However, I did say that Android seems to have more than their fair share of issues. It could very well be because the OEMs can't write good software to save their lives and that in the process of modifying Android to suit their needs they end up destroying it in the process. It's like the OEMs are shoving Android through a meat grinder and what comes out doesn't look so pretty.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh