Just ditched the Galaxy S5 for the 6 Plus

wellsmanfu

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
I couldn't be happier. After the lollipop update my S5 was horrible. I don't mind software changes as long as they don't break things, and that pretty much broke the phone.

I'm loving this thing so far. I'm getting my apps installed and the phone all setup. Does anyone have any tips for things to do with the 6 Plus? I know smartphones pretty and am learning about this one right now, but I'm always looking for tips about apps, settings or just cool stuff people may not realize the phone can do.

wellsmanfu

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Thank you and I have been. There's just so much to get used to that I figured I'd ask for help and learn/read on my own at the same time.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to our little community, and hopefully, you'll become a valuable member here at iMore.

shief24

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
I liked the galaxy s3 after using an iPhone 4. I felt like I had a crazy amount of freedom and then I realized its cool for a while but gets played out quickly. I think people flock to samsung/android just for customization and 'features' when they are really just fads.

chrisforpm

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I liked the galaxy s3 after using an iPhone 4. I felt like I had a crazy amount of freedom and then I realized its cool for a while but gets played out quickly. I think people flock to samsung/android just for customization and 'features' when they are really just fads.

Agreed. I bought a Nexus 6 to get a taste of android. It was fun for the first few weeks but I got bored. I'm now selling it. Thankfully I kept my iPhone 6+ as my daily driver.

geekymcfly

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
I couldn't be happier. After the lollipop update my S5 was horrible. I don't mind software changes as long as they don't break things, and that pretty much broke the phone.

I'm loving this thing so far. I'm getting my apps installed and the phone all setup. Does anyone have any tips for things to do with the 6 Plus? I know smartphones pretty and am learning about this one right now, but I'm always looking for tips about apps, settings or just cool stuff people may not realize the phone can do.

you might want to check out The Sweet Setup ? We recommend the best apps for iPhone, iPad, and Mac has some sweet recommendations.

melbsteve

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
I have no idea why people flock to Samsung. You made a wise decision.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Marketing, that's literally all it is. Samsung has poured a crazy amount into it, and I don't even blame people for falling for it. It's just how we tick.
Anyway, congrats on your iPhone :) . there's basically too many top shelf apps to single out one, but I'm going to mention two regardless. It youre into tracking health and a heavy coffee drinker, try out UP coffee, beautifully designed and quite useful. And I love my Zite. It's how I read news every day, tailored to my interests. Give them a try, I'd recommend both.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Marketing, that's literally all it is. Samsung has poured a crazy amount into it, and I don't even blame people for falling for it. It's just how we tick.

You say this as if there is nothing tangible to actually enjoy about the hardware itself from Samsung once you have it in hand...their products are fine for the right person. Nice feature sets, wide spectrum of sizes, the Note has incredible battery life and the Galaxy S series of phones is constantly in close competition with the iPhone in terms of performance and ability.

I'm obviously an iPhone proponent, but let's not over generalize the fact that Samsung makes some handsome products. Their marketing isn't the ONLY reason they are one of the top smart phone manufacturers in the world.

melbsteve

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
You say this as if there is nothing tangible to actually enjoy about the hardware itself from Samsung once you have it in hand...their products are fine for the right person. Nice feature sets, wide spectrum of sizes, the Note has incredible battery life and the Galaxy S series of phones is constantly in close competition with the iPhone in terms of performance and ability.

I'm obviously an iPhone proponent, but let's not over generalize the fact that Samsung makes some handsome products. Their marketing isn't the ONLY reason they are one of the top smart phone manufacturers in the world.

let me put it this way; I believe that if any other smartphone company had pockets this deep and splashed out as much money on marketing as Samsung, that said company would enjoy the same market share (or more) than Samsung does today. No one does it obviously, but I think if anyone spent the same insane amount of money on product placements, endorsements, ubiquitous ads, all sorts of campaigns, anti apple digs and so on, they would be today's Samsung. And that does not necessarily speak for their products in my opinion.

I give them credit for the Note, which is a handy and smart product, but not necessarily the one device that has catapulted them to the position they are in now, or better were in about a year ago. We're probably going off topic though, Sean. ;)

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
let me put it this way; I believe that if any other smartphone company had pockets this deep and splashed out as much money on marketing as Samsung, that said company would enjoy the same market share (or more) than Samsung does today. No one does it obviously, but I think if anyone spent the same insane amount of money on product placements, endorsements, ubiquitous ads, all sorts of campaigns, anti apple digs and so on, they would be today's Samsung. And that does not necessarily speak for their products in my opinion.

I give them credit for the Note, which is a handy and smart product, but not necessarily the one device that has catapulted them to the position they are in now, or better were in about a year ago. We're probably going off topic though, Sean. ;)

I just don't feel it's fair to assign the hardware's success solely on the marketing...lots of products over the years have been marketed heavily but were actually complete junk, so they die off quickly...Samsung has some longevity going for it now with the Galaxy brand.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site

That's what happened to me with the Note 3 and the Kitkat update. Welcome to the dark side... We have no problems, hehehe...

shanghaichica

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
So I bought a note 4 last week. My intention was to keep it as a second device alongside my 6 plus which would remain as my daily driver. However after using it for a week or so I've decided to return it. It does nothing that my 6 plus can't (of interest to me). It doesn't fit in with my established ecosystem (MacBook Air, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3, Apple TV). The battery life is rubbish. Obviously I knew from the start that it wouldn't come close to matching my 6 plus, but it just drains like crazy. I've done a factory reset and it hasn't changed anything. I'm not trouble shooting anymore as I don't see why I should have to, especially when I have a perfectly fine 6 plus. I'm also not going to wait for lollipop. I know how android updates work (slow) but again I don't see why I should have to settle for that. Build quality is improved compared to previous Galaxy devices I've owned but it still doesn't compare to my 6 plus. My 6 plus is also a lot lighter and feels much better in the hand.

So the note goes back.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I have no idea why people flock to Samsung. You made a wise decision.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Because Samsung = Android for a lot of people. If you haven't noticed who shows a lot of ads in the android world? Samsung does by quite a lot and with it's marketing Samsung is what the 2nd most in sales currently in phones behind Apple?

For the Average Joe who just wants a phone to use Chrome or whatever browser they choose ( Safari if your using an iPhone probably ) , Listen to music , maps , calender and etc Samsung phones and iPhones are the same thing. Price , Size up until recently, what's consider cool or uncool , whats the form factor you prefer and what ultimately sells you on whatever device with advertising.

Samsung up until recently had the advantage of expandable storage options and removable battery which for some people want just because people might travel and just prefer carrying extra batteries. Some people want that Micro SD card and not pay the premium Apple charges for more memory which is $100 more for double the memory of the previous SKU.

When you get down to it why do you buy iPhones, Why does that guy buy nexus , and so on?

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site

Eh while Marketing is a very BIG reason why they are one of the companies on Top there is other reasons like OS and etc. I tried Vanilla Android but find it lacking while I loved my Note 4, Note 3, S4,S3 and S2. Granted I would of been very happy getting an Note 4 when i recently changed to Sprint. That being said I got an iPhone 6 Plus because I felt i rather have the better battery life, and the same ecosystem for my mobile devices since I already own an iPad Air 2.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW