This is a OVD question, I know, but is it really important to shut off the device completely before using a damp cloth the clean the phone screen? I'm asking because I didn't completely shut it off and cleaned the screen with a damp cloth and now I worry there may be moisture damage or something. It was only lightly damp. And I only wiped the screen. How would I know if the display or device had moisture or water damage? The phone seems fine.

I know this sounds like a stupid question, but it would help ease my mind to hear your answers.
    04-02-2015 09:41 PM
    I have cleaned the display of all of my iOS devices with a moistened lens wipe with my phone powered on and I've yet to experience any problems.
    nikkisharif and Dougie011 like this.
    04-02-2015 09:45 PM
    I use a microfibre cloth and either a small amount of tap water or a special cleaning spray (never use alcohol based liquids!). I have never turned off my devices (rMBP, iPads or iPhones). No problems here. Just be sure to moisten the cloth. If you use a spray, spray it onto the cloth, NOT the device.
    Just_Me_D and nikkisharif like this.
    04-02-2015 09:58 PM
    I use a microfibre cloth and either a small amount of tap water or a special cleaning spray (never use alcohol based liquids!). I have never turned off my devices (rMBP, iPads or iPhones). No problems here. Just be sure to moisten the cloth. If you use a spray, spray it onto the cloth, NOT the device.
    Yeah, I make sure to never spray directly to the screen, only on the microfiber cloth. The reason I was worried was online they say to make sure the device is turned off before cleaning it and I usually do that. It's just this once I didn't. I'm not sure how liquid could have even gotten into the device because I don't think I used it near any openings like the earpiece on top.
    04-02-2015 11:13 PM
    I spit a little saliva on a micro fiber cloth and wipe while the screen is on. All the time and phone works fine.
    nikkisharif, sting7k and Evilguppy like this.
    04-02-2015 11:34 PM
    I spit a little saliva on a micro fiber cloth and wipe while the screen is on. All the time and phone works fine.
    LOL
    04-02-2015 11:50 PM
    I never turn my phone off to clean it. And I usually spray directly on it too. Never had any issues. And think of all the people who have had the wet-application screen protectors put on. They pretty liberally spray the screen for that.
    04-03-2015 12:18 AM
    I never turn my phone off to clean it. And I usually spray directly on it too. Never had any issues. And think of all the people who have had the wet-application screen protectors put on. They pretty liberally spray the screen for that.
    Right. Again, probably didn't do any damage. It's just this thing is kinda my baby, so I want to take care of it.
    04-03-2015 11:38 AM
    Right. Again, probably didn't do any damage. It's just this thing is kinda my baby, so I want to take care of it.
    Ehhh, babies are pretty tough too. If you've ever been in a hospital and seen how the nurses handle the newborns vs the ginger handling of the newbie parents, you'd realize this. Babies and phones are a lot tougher than you give them credit for.
    04-03-2015 10:55 PM
    I have a glass screen protector on my iPhone. How do I clean it? I swipe it on my pant leg and it's clean.
    knotsure and Dougie011 like this.
    04-03-2015 11:49 PM
    I have a glass screen protector on my iPhone. How do I clean it? I swipe it on my pant leg and it's clean.
    Well I'm speaking more about liquid damage
    04-04-2015 01:52 AM
    I have a non-alcohol glasses liquid and spray a tiny bit on a cloth and buff the finger prints off my iPhone screen. I also have a glass screen protector installed.
    04-04-2015 02:02 PM
    Use sand paper to clean it, no worries about liquid damage with that and it will remove any dirt, grime or fingerprints from the screen for sure.
    04-04-2015 08:48 PM
    Use sand paper to clean it, no worries about liquid damage with that and it will remove any dirt, grime or fingerprints from the screen for sure.
    Me too. But I'm a bit more careful and use emery cloth.
    04-04-2015 09:09 PM
    Do you use fine grit (300) sandpaper or the coarser 80 grit stuff?
    04-04-2015 09:39 PM
    Do you use fine grit (300) sandpaper or the coarser 80 grit stuff?
    Shop Gator 3-Pack 20-Grit 4-1/2-in W x 4-1/2-in L Fiber Disc Sandpaper at Lowes.com
    04-04-2015 09:53 PM
    Might as well use the sanding machine, sissy.
    04-05-2015 01:50 PM
    Might as well use the sanding machine, sissy.
    I was considering a sand blaster actually...to get rid of some of the deeper fingerprints on the screen.
    Smply_Rckless likes this.
    04-05-2015 06:45 PM
    Ball peen hammer and cold steel chisel.
    04-05-2015 06:53 PM
    I was considering a sand blaster actually...to get rid of some of the deeper fingerprints on the screen.
    Yeah. The screen does get smudgy at times. I just rinse my jeans in ammonia and wipe the screen across my thigh.
    04-06-2015 09:28 AM
    The one time I cleaned my phone and I left it on? Total nightmare. Some moisture got inside and then I started noticing screen bleeding and shadows. Especially in corners. Freaking out, I went to the apple store. It was horrible. Something about liquid in the phone? They said they couldn't do anything.

If I were you, I'd go to the apple store and have them check it out. But don't do what I did and actually tell them what happened. Be cool. If they ask you any questions, say you don't know. Oh, and wear sunglasses. I wish I had.
    robbrick likes this.
    04-06-2015 03:46 PM
    Defiantly lie about what happen. They love that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    04-06-2015 06:05 PM
    The one time I cleaned my phone and I left it on? Total nightmare. Some moisture got inside and then I started noticing screen bleeding and shadows. Especially in corners. Freaking out, I went to the apple store. It was horrible. Something about liquid in the phone? They said they couldn't do anything.

If I were you, I'd go to the apple store and have them check it out. But don't do what I did and actually tell them what happened. Be cool. If they ask you any questions, say you don't know. Oh, and wear sunglasses. I wish I had.
    I guess the operas this and decided to post the next topic about his bleeding and shadows. I would say that your iPhone is good to go bro. Don't let anymore silly thoughts enter your mind...
    04-06-2015 10:09 PM
    I guess the OP read this and decided
    04-06-2015 10:09 PM
    There's a lot of screen cleaning kits out there, myself I have the Endust cleaning kit that has a bottle of anti-static screen cleaning gel along with a blue microfiber cloth. I use that to clean my computer monitors and TV screen.

My suggestion is to spray the gel onto the cloth, not the device. About two sprays should be enough. You don't want the cloth to be really damp, you only need enough to clean the screen with.

Endust for Electronics: 4 oz. Anti-Static Screen Cleaning Spray and Microfiber Towel Combo
    04-09-2015 03:20 PM
28 12