Is it really important to shut off the device before using a damp cloth to clean the screen?

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
This is a OVD question, I know, but is it really important to shut off the device completely before using a damp cloth the clean the phone screen? I'm asking because I didn't completely shut it off and cleaned the screen with a damp cloth and now I worry there may be moisture damage or something. It was only lightly damp. And I only wiped the screen. How would I know if the display or device had moisture or water damage? The phone seems fine.

I know this sounds like a stupid question, but it would help ease my mind to hear your answers.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Question regarding cleaning the screen.

I have cleaned the display of all of my iOS devices with a moistened lens wipe with my phone powered on and I've yet to experience any problems.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

I use a microfibre cloth and either a small amount of tap water or a special cleaning spray (never use alcohol based liquids!). I have never turned off my devices (rMBP, iPads or iPhones). No problems here. Just be sure to moisten the cloth. If you use a spray, spray it onto the cloth, NOT the device.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site

I use a microfibre cloth and either a small amount of tap water or a special cleaning spray (never use alcohol based liquids!). I have never turned off my devices (rMBP, iPads or iPhones). No problems here. Just be sure to moisten the cloth. If you use a spray, spray it onto the cloth, NOT the device.

Yeah, I make sure to never spray directly to the screen, only on the microfiber cloth. The reason I was worried was online they say to make sure the device is turned off before cleaning it and I usually do that. It's just this once I didn't. I'm not sure how liquid could have even gotten into the device because I don't think I used it near any openings like the earpiece on top.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

I spit a little saliva on a micro fiber cloth and wipe while the screen is on. All the time and phone works fine.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site

I never turn my phone off to clean it. And I usually spray directly on it too. Never had any issues. And think of all the people who have had the wet-application screen protectors put on. They pretty liberally spray the screen for that.

Right. Again, probably didn't do any damage. It's just this thing is kinda my baby, so I want to take care of it.

trparky

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site

I have a glass screen protector on my iPhone. How do I clean it? I swipe it on my pant leg and it's clean.

robbrick

Dec 12, 2003
www.dimensiondvd.com

I have a non-alcohol glasses liquid and spray a tiny bit on a cloth and buff the finger prints off my iPhone screen. I also have a glass screen protector installed.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Use sand paper to clean it, no worries about liquid damage with that and it will remove any dirt, grime or fingerprints from the screen for sure.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site

Use sand paper to clean it, no worries about liquid damage with that and it will remove any dirt, grime or fingerprints from the screen for sure.

Me too. But I'm a bit more careful and use emery cloth.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

Do you use fine grit (300) sandpaper or the coarser 80 grit stuff?

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

I was considering a sand blaster actually...to get rid of some of the deeper fingerprints on the screen.

Yeah. The screen does get smudgy at times. I just rinse my jeans in ammonia and wipe the screen across my thigh.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site

The one time I cleaned my phone and I left it on? Total nightmare. Some moisture got inside and then I started noticing screen bleeding and shadows. Especially in corners. Freaking out, I went to the apple store. It was horrible. Something about liquid in the phone? They said they couldn't do anything.

If I were you, I'd go to the apple store and have them check it out. But don't do what I did and actually tell them what happened. Be cool. If they ask you any questions, say you don't know. Oh, and wear sunglasses. I wish I had.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal