[Opinion] The 6 Plus has really turned me into a screen/display snob

Status
Not open for further replies.

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
Uh what? You do realize OLED screens' aren't "saturated". It's poor color management of the wide color gamut OLED screens have(color management is largely OS based).

In any case Samsung's Samoled (note 4 and likely S6) have settings that make it the most accurate color reproduction of any mobile display. Mixed with infinite contrast, wider viewing angles per brightness loss ratios, etc.

The Iphone 6 plus screen is decades behind it.

Not an android homer!!!!

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I agree with you. The iPhone 6 plus screen is phenomenal. I know it's the not best on paper compared to other android devices but seeing is believing.

Sent from my iPhone 6 plus using Tapatalk

shanghaichica

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
The note 4 has a better screen, however the 6 plus has a damn good display in its own right. Plus most of the apps are scaled and optimised for the 6 plus so content tends to look better on the 6 plus than the note 4 (I have both).

I'd say places where the note 4 wins are watching YouTube videos due to the higher resolution and looking at pictures and reading comics.

The 6 plus wins in everything else due to better app optimisation. Even watching Netflix is better on the iPhone because it streams at 1080p whereas it does not steam in HD on the note 4. I live in the UK and use the sky go app (cable). Video quality is better on the 6 plus than the note 4.

I've been using Samsung's super Amoled HD displays for a few years (note 1, S4, note 3, S5, note 4) and they are excellent. One of the reasons why I returned my iPhone 5S was because I was disappointed in the screen quality. The 6 plus more than satisfies me in terms of screen quality. It really is s nice panel. My last phone was an samsung Galaxy S5. When I got my 6 plus I was convinced that it's display could not beat a Samsung super Amoled HD display. However I was pleasantly surprised as the display on my 6 plus is better than the display on my S5 was.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
The note 4 has a better screen, however the 6 plus has a damn good display in its own right. Plus most of the apps are scaled and optimised for the 6 plus so content tends to look better on the 6 plus than the note 4 (I have both).

I'd say places where the note 4 wins are watching YouTube videos due to the higher resolution and looking at pictures and reading comics.

The 6 plus wins in everything else due to better app optimisation. Even watching Netflix is better on the iPhone because it streams at 1080p whereas it does not steam in HD on the note 4. I live in the UK and use the sky go app (cable). Video quality is better on the 6 plus than the note 4.

I've been using Samsung's super Amoled HD displays for a few years (note 1, S4, note 3, S5, note 4) and they are excellent. One of the reasons why I returned my iPhone 5S was because I was disappointed in the screen quality. The 6 plus more than satisfies me in terms of screen quality. It really is s nice panel. My last phone was an samsung Galaxy S5. When I got my 6 plus I was convinced that it's display could not beat a Samsung super Amoled HD display. However I was pleasantly surprised as the display on my 6 plus is better than the display on my S5 was.

The note 4 streams Netflix in HD .... Watching it side by side the Note 4 wins imo. At least this is what I notice. I don't watch Netflix often and I pay for it mostly for my 3 year old niece but I usually watch movies on Amazon or shows on Hulu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shanghaichica

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
The note 4 streams Netflix in HD .... Watching it side by side the Note 4 wins imo. At least this is what I notice. I don't watch Netflix often and I pay for it mostly for my 3 year old niece but I usually watch movies on Amazon or shows on Hulu

My note 4 doesn't stream Netflix in HD???

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
iMore will never gain a broad audience or an honest user base if you continue to ignore reality. The iPhone 6+ screen is fine but far behind the leaders in display. It is what it is and reality can be tough to accept at times.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Well, my take on the Plus is this:
(keep in mind that as a screaming techtard, I might not be phrasing my findings correctly but I'll try)

I've had the Note 3. Back then I found the display amazing.
I've had the 6. Can't find anything wrong with it except MY goofy eyesight demanded the Plus.
So today, I got the Plus and...

THIS IS THE TOP OF MOUNT PHONORAMA, PERIOD.

Maybe it's the color saturation level, maybe it's the higher resolution, maybe it's more, maybe it's something else entirely different but holy geez, people, what a treat for wonky middle aged eyes, are you kidding me?!?!
The Plus display is superb!
I can read emails on it without my reading glasses, do you know how long it's been since I could do that?
All my social media, texting, browsing the internet, heck, posting and reading here, all this without squinting, without my reading glasses, zero eye fatigue or strain, it's awesome!

So I won't deny that Samsung makes very nice displays, but nothing, nothing, NOTHING even comes close to the ease and clarity I've been experiencing with the Plus.

Consider me forever spoiled rotten and proud of it, hehehe... :biggrin:

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Well, my take on the Plus is this:
(keep in mind that as a screaming techtard, I might not be phrasing my findings correctly but I'll try)

I've had the Note 3. Back then I found the display amazing.
I've had the 6. Can't find anything wrong with it except MY goofy eyesight demanded the Plus.
So today, I got the Plus and...

THIS IS THE TOP OF MOUNT PHONORAMA, PERIOD.

Maybe it's the color saturation level, maybe it's the higher resolution, maybe it's more, maybe it's something else entirely different but holy geez, people, what a treat for wonky middle aged eyes, are you kidding me?!?!
The Plus display is superb!
I can read emails on it without my reading glasses, do you know how long it's been since I could do that?
All my social media, texting, browsing the internet, heck, posting and reading here, all this without squinting, without my reading glasses, zero eye fatigue or strain, it's awesome!

So I won't deny that Samsung makes very nice displays, but nothing, nothing, NOTHING even comes close to the ease and clarity I've been experiencing with the Plus.

Consider me forever spoiled rotten and proud of it, hehehe... :biggrin:

Err what ? How would the 6 plus help you but not the note 3 ? Both have the same exact resolution and the only differences is slight over saturation and display type. With emails the viewing should be the same considering they are both around the 5.5 inch screen type with the note 3 0.2 inches bigger.

The iPhone 6 plus is Fantastic but it's not the best imo. 2K or QHD screens on a phone is a gimmick imo that really can't see a huge difference to consider it a selling point imo but the Note 4 screen is fantastic and from what I've read of S6 it's even better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Err what ? How would the 6 plus help you but not the note 3 ? Both have the same exact resolution and the only differences is slight over saturation and display type. With emails the viewing should be the same considering they are both around the 5.5 inch screen type with the note 3 0.2 inches bigger.

The iPhone 6 plus is Fantastic but it's not the best imo. 2K or QHD screens on a phone is a gimmick imo that really can't see a huge difference to consider it a selling point imo but the Note 4 screen is fantastic and from what I've read of S6 it's even better.

I have no idea, like I said, I'm not tech savvy enough to figure it out. For all I know it could be the type of screen or light or glass, the way it's put together, I don't know. But my eyes detect a clarity in the 6 Plus that wasn't there in the Note 3, for whatever reason. And what my eyes like, my eyes get, it's as simple as that.

shanghaichica

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site

Just because 2 screens have the same resolution it doesn't mean that they will be of the same quality. My boyfriend has the note 3 (my old phone). The display on my 6 plus is better. The colours are better and things look crisper and sharper. Also with regard to emails. The rendering I a better on the iPhone and thus they look better. On the note 3, using the stock app emails are not scaled to for the screen so I would have to zoom out to get a good fit to the screen.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
iMore will never gain a broad audience or an honest user base if you continue to ignore reality. The iPhone 6+ screen is fine but far behind the leaders in display. It is what it is and reality can be tough to accept at times.

What do I care what audience iMore gets? You make it sound like I'm being paid here. I don't care.

Nothing is more honest than an opinion. I went as far as attaching the word 'opinion' to the title. I went out of my way to make sure I didn't present any of what I said as a fact. Apparently that still wasn't good enough for you. Perhaps a cyber slap in the face would have gotten the opinion point across.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Just because 2 screens have the same resolution it doesn't mean that they will be of the same quality. My boyfriend has the note 3 (my old phone). The display on my 6 plus is better. The colours are better and things look crisper and sharper. Also with regard to emails. The rendering I a better on the iPhone and thus they look better. On the note 3, using the stock app emails are not scaled to for the screen so I would have to zoom out to get a good fit to the screen.

The stock email client is horrible. I used Gmail which recently allowed the use of other email as well which is pretty good . Never had an issue with a good fit even with the stock client though so idk what your talking but for me it was fine.

The note 3 screen is still better with better crisper colors and sharper blacks. AMOLED > LCD imo but all that being said it isn't a selling point and the LCD screen Apple uses is still great in its own right. I would love an AMOLED screen on an iPhone but that will never happen.

shanghaichica

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Yes gmail is fine. Everything renders properly in there. I tried out the new gmail app and added my non gmail email accounts to it but I wasn't able to attach from all the sources I could in stock email so reverted back to using stock for non gmail accounts and gmail for my google mail.

Maybe it's the way I set up the stock email or my email client (aol) that causes the rendering issues.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

The user base is plenty honest...and Mobile Nations negates the need for iMore to gain a broad audience, since it's a focused sub of a bigger group. Thanks for playing though...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2