[Opinion] The 6 Plus has really turned me into a screen/display snob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Didn't you just get a iPhone 6? Why get a device that has a screen decades behind the Note 4.

I prefer the note 4 screen but it's far from being decades ahead like he wants to proclaim.....

People want to claim it's over saturated but it really isn't since you the user can simply change the settings with a few different settings

e1891604e20987d039c2ccdb372e925f.jpg

8a2d8f7b472b8f4c6edd3a856f698ba3.jpg

I find the blues to be better on the note 4 but that might just be me being used to it for years. Side by side I prefer the note 4 but using the iPhone 6 plus for the past 2 weeks I don't really miss the Note 4 screen.

Putting it on Basic mode on the Note 4 will change the screen to be less saturated so if it's a bit to much for you still you can change it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
The only Samsung displays I have experience with are the S4 and S5 my sister had them. Just from memory I seem to like the S4 display better than the S5.

asanatheist

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
LOL! You trolls are all the same...sensationalistic comments where you represent your opinion as fact. Did you forget where you are? Maybe crawl back to your little hole on AC where you guys can all circle jerk about how incredibly "beyond" your little Android phones are compare to the iPhone.

It's always hilarious to me as I check out the other forums to see very little in the way of trolling over there from iPhone users (if any at all)...you guys must be bored out of your minds with these products to sit around trolling iMore. If you all spent half the time discussing those devices that you do spewing opinionated and pitiful drivel over here...you'd probably max out the bandwidth of the servers for mobile nations.

I'm a troll because I am educated about panels have owned both phones and use monitors for professional use so I know a thing or two about it?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm a troll because I am educated about panels have owned both phones and use monitors for professional use so I know a thing or two about it?

Nah, you're a troll because you can't help yourself from taking the little pot shots at the device (like calling it "decades behind"), which negates any ACTUAL technical prowess you may have about the products or hardware...essentially, your knowledge is overshadowed by your trollish drivel.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Message to those of you who frequent other MN sites, but occasionally visit iMore.

First of all, welcome. Those of us who frequent the iMore forums consider ourselves everyday people who share an affinity for Apple products and services. We don’t view them or Apple as being perfect, but we do think that they are perfect for “us”. Despite what certain outsiders may think, we don’t hold any ill-feelings toward people who prefer non-Apple products and services. We really don’t. We promote the idea of using the products that are best for “you". Having said that, we do take offense to those who enter iMore, knowing that it's an Apple-centric forum, and begin trashing the things we enjoy. Don’t misunderstand me. We do not care that you dislike, despise, or vehemently hate Apple products and services. That’s your prerogative. With that in mind, we simply find it totally disrespectful to do so in what we consider to be our own backyard, so to speak. You, too, would feel disrespected if someone did that in your back yard, and you know it. Therefore, when certain comments you make are met with less than favorable replies, take a moment to remind yourself whose backyard you’re in, and make the necessary adjustments in an attempt to be respectful. Furthermore, understand that some opinions are un-welcomed under certain circumstances. If you want proof of that, just take a look at the societal issues that permeate the news these days. Anyway, I hope these words of wisdom will help you have a pleasant forum experience here at iMore. Take care.

Last edited:

asanatheist

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
Message to those of you who frequent other MN sites, but occasionally visit iMore.

First of all, welcome. Those of us who frequent the iMore forums consider ourselves everyday people who share an affinity for Apple products and services. We don?t view them or Apple as being perfect, but we do think that they are perfect for ?us?. Despite what certain outsiders may think, we don?t hold any ill-feelings toward people who prefer non-Apple products and services. We really don?t. We promote the idea of using the products that are best for ?you". Having said that, we do take offense to those who enter iMore, knowing that it's an Apple-centric forum, and begin trashing the things we enjoy. Don?t misunderstand me. We do not care that you dislike, despise, or vehemently hate Apple products and services. That?s your prerogative. With that in mind, we simply find it totally disrespectful to do so in what we consider to be our own backyard, so to speak. You, too, would feel disrespected if someone did that in your back yard, and you know it. Therefore, when certain comments you make are met with less than favorable replies, take a moment to remind yourself whose backyard you?re in, and make the necessary adjustments in an attempt to be respectful. Furthermore, understand that some opinions are un-welcomed under certain circumstances. If you want proof of that, just take a look at the societal issues that permeate the news these days. Anyway, I hope these words of wisdom will help you have a pleasant forum experience here at iMore. Take care.

I was going to actually not respond to the guy who called me a troll, and overreacted to my post.

So let me set this straight:
1. I posted that LCD technology (which is what the iPhone 6 uses) are decades behind SAMOLED. Did I even once say it was a bad screen? No. Both phones house easily the two best LCDs available in smartphones. (FYI LCD technology is very old, and very few advancements have been made. Most of the advancements are for cost reduction, not for the quality of panels. (extremely high quality panels, cost the same and are of similar performance to panels from a decade ago).
2. Posted that Note 4's screen was shown to be the most accurate color reproducing screen which is based on measurements via spectroradiometers, as well as controlled variable conditions (lighting in environment, angles, etc). I am afraid for past 3 years, SAMOLED screens have been taking the crown as best displays for mobile phones.
3. Posted why screens may seem saturated which is just poor color management in part of the OS (which Samsung has corrected since the S4 to deadly accuracy on certain a particular screen mode). This is not opinion it's the color management (sRGB vs Adobe RGB gamuts). That's why in applications such as photoshop, or premiere wide color gamut screens (AMOLED for example, or RGB backlit IPS panels) will be most accurate. While outside of those applications while using sRGB gamut, it is shown as saturated.
4. Wider viewing angles with less loss of brightness

I am called a troll for this, over one post which contained factual information, can someone point out where an opinion is this post is? It seems this guy overreacted to my post.

Uh what? You do realize OLED screens' aren't "saturated". It's poor color management of the wide color gamut OLED screens have(color management is largely OS based).

In any case Samsung's Samoled (note 4 and likely S6) have settings that make it the most accurate color reproduction of any mobile display. Mixed with infinite contrast, wider viewing angles per brightness loss ratios, etc.

The Iphone 6 plus screen is decades behind it.

Anyways to conclude: There's a reason why an iPhone 6 is in my pocket, and it isn't because of the screen.

Some info:
Galaxy Note 4 and Note Edge OLED Display Technology Shoot-Out
TFT Central - LCD Monitor Information, Reviews, Guides and News
Let me know if you need other sources.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I was going to actually not respond to the guy who called me a troll, and overreacted to my post.

So let me set this straight:
1. I posted that LCD technology (which is what the iPhone 6 uses) are decades behind SAMOLED. Did I even once say it was a bad screen? No. Both phones house easily the two best LCDs available in smartphones. (FYI LCD technology is very old, and very few advancements have been made. Most of the advancements are for cost reduction, not for the quality of panels. (extremely high quality panels, cost the same and are of similar performance to panels from a decade ago).
2. Posted that Note 4's screen was shown to be the most accurate color reproducing screen which is based on measurements via spectroradiometers, as well as controlled variable conditions (lighting in environment, angles, etc). I am afraid for past 3 years, SAMOLED screens have been taking the crown as best displays for mobile phones.
3. Posted why screens may seem saturated which is just poor color management in part of the OS (which Samsung has corrected since the S4 to deadly accuracy on certain a particular screen mode). This is not opinion it's the color management (sRGB vs Adobe RGB gamuts). That's why in applications such as photoshop, or premiere wide color gamut screens (AMOLED for example, or RGB backlit IPS panels) will be most accurate. While outside of those applications while using sRGB gamut, it is shown as saturated.
4. Wider viewing angles with less loss of brightness

I am called a troll for this, over one post which contained factual information, can someone point out where an opinion is this post is? It seems this guy overreacted to my post.

Anyways to conclude: There's a reason why an iPhone 6 is in my pocket, and it isn't because of the screen.

Some info:
Galaxy Note 4 and Note Edge OLED Display Technology Shoot-Out
TFT Central - LCD Monitor Information, Reviews, Guides and News
Let me know if you need other sources.

Clearly, you ignored the contents of my post and instead opted to strongly reiterate your stance regarding the iPhone's screen, and as factual as it may be, it is arguably inappropriate to focus so much attention to it as if everyone here cares when, in fact, we don't. Furthermore, that desire to reiterate, at least in my opinion, gives credence to the opinions of those who view you in a negative light. You have an iPhone 6. Good for you. You don't like its screen in comparison to Samsung's. No problem. We get it. Having said that, now what? Are you going to reiterate it again and again and again and again or will you be content with the fact that you stated your views and others stated theirs?

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
One thing that I got from displaymate was this.
iPhone 4: Their most famous and aggressive innovation came with the introduction of the Retina display in 2010 for the iPhone 4, where Apple doubled the pixel resolution and Pixels Per Inch (ppi) up to where the screen appeared perfectly sharp for normal 20/20 Vision at typical Smartphone viewing distances of 10.5 inches or more. It was a brilliant technical and marketing innovation, and the competition was left in the dust?

Now according to displaymate this was a technical innovation that occurred in 2010. It's now 2015 5 years.
iPhone 4S,5,5S the technical advances slowed and the competition advanced.
iPhone 6 Plus 2014 they enhanced the display.
So in 2010 iPhone 4 is a display innovation
In 2014 iPhone 6 Plus is enhanced.
I don't see how this adds up to be decades behind. A few years maybe from a technical stand point but not decades.
I read that a Apple display is 45% percent more power efficient with a white background like texting which makes sense to use because most users probably are texting and using Facebook than doing professional photo editing but yet they do use iPhone for pro photography and pro video.

If you know anything about Apple they strive for power efficiency which is why I've been reading the Galaxy S6 battery life is less than desirable.

Technically does Apple need the need the most technically advanced display? No.
Do they need it to look good? Yes. And it does and the 6 Plus is very power efficient.
Display looks great and great battery life.
That's all folks.

Last edited:

asanatheist

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
Clearly, you ignored the contents of my post and instead opted to strongly reiterate your stance regarding the iPhone's screen, and as factual as it may be, it is arguably inappropriate to focus so much attention to it as if everyone here cares when, in fact, we don't. Furthermore, that desire to reiterate, at least in my opinion, gives credence to the opinions of those who view you in a negative light. You have an iPhone 6. Good for you. You don't like its screen in comparison to Samsung's. No problem. We get it. Having said that, now what? Are you going to reiterate it again and again and again and again or will you be content with the fact that you stated your views and others stated theirs?

Got it! Missed your point. This second post really brought it to light.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
One thing that I got from displaymate was this.
iPhone 4: Their most famous and aggressive innovation came with the introduction of the Retina display in 2010 for the iPhone 4, where Apple doubled the pixel resolution and Pixels Per Inch (ppi) up to where the screen appeared perfectly sharp for normal 20/20 Vision at typical Smartphone viewing distances of 10.5 inches or more. It was a brilliant technical and marketing innovation, and the competition was left in the dust?

Now according to displaymate this was a technical innovation that occurred in 2010. It's now 2015 5 years.
iPhone 4S,5,5S the technical advances slowed and the competition advanced.
iPhone 6 Plus 2014 they enhanced the display.
So in 2010 iPhone 4 is a display innovation
In 2014 iPhone 6 Plus is enhanced.
I don't see how this adds up to be decades behind. A few years maybe from a technical stand point but not decades.
I read that a Apple display is 45% percent more power efficient with a white background like texting which makes sense to use because most users probably are texting and using Facebook than doing professional photo editing but yet they do use iPhone for pro photography and pro video.

If you know anything about Apple they strive for power efficiency which is why I've been reading the Galaxy S6 battery life is less than desirable.

Technically does Apple need the need the most technically advanced display? No.
Do they need it to look good? Yes. And it does and the 6 Plus is very power efficient.
Display looks and great battery life.
That's all folks.

I agree with that but OP wants to say the iPhone screen is the best which I think it isn't. It is a fantastic display but imo the note 4 has better colors ( imo) , better viewing angles ( technically it does but practical use no difference ), and better blacks ( LCD can't reach it because of the technology itself). That being said the better battery life of the iPhone 6 plus, still great colors , really great blacks for lcd and great viewing angles I'll take the 6 plus for everyday use. I would love Apple to use AMOLED screens but the LCD screens they (Apple) use is still great

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

First of all, welcome. Those of us who frequent the iMore forums consider ourselves everyday people who share an affinity for Apple products and services. We don’t view them or Apple as being perfect, but we do think that they are perfect for “us”. Despite what certain outsiders may think, we don’t hold any ill-feelings toward people who prefer non-Apple products and services. We really don’t. We promote the idea of using the products that are best for “you". Having said that, we do take offense to those who enter iMore, knowing that it's an Apple-centric forum, and begin trashing the things we enjoy. Don’t misunderstand me. We do not care that you dislike, despise, or vehemently hate Apple products and services. That’s your prerogative. With that in mind, we simply find it totally disrespectful to do so in what we consider to be our own backyard, so to speak. You, too, would feel disrespected if someone did that in your back yard, and you know it. Therefore, when certain comments you make are met with less than favorable replies, take a moment to remind yourself whose backyard you’re in, and make the necessary adjustments in an attempt to be respectful. Furthermore, understand that some opinions are un-welcomed under certain circumstances. If you want proof of that, just take a look at the societal issues that permeate the news these days. Anyway, I hope these words of wisdom will help you have a pleasant forum experience here at iMore. Take care.

D, this is so eloquently and intelligently written. Well done friend! I only wish it could become the welcome mat to each of the sub-forums, as it will ultimately get buried in this thread when instead, it should be at the forefront of every twist and turn for visitors, and current members, to read. Thank you for sharing!!

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
D, this is so eloquently and intelligently written. Well done friend! I only wish it could become the welcome mat to each of the sub-forums, as it will ultimately get buried in this thread when instead, it should be at the forefront of every twist and turn for visitors, and current members, to read. Thank you for sharing!!

Thank you, sir. I really appreciate it...;)

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
My fault for starting this thread without considering our annoying little step brothers over at Android Central.

Nah, it's not your fault they're so bored with their "preferred" devices they come over here to vomit excrement about the iPhone because it's the only interesting thing they have to talk about at the time.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I appreciate the kind words, Sean. Thank you. By the way, I just finished watching 30 For 30: The U Part 2 .....again.......I wonder when they'll make one for GaTech?...(laughing)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro