How can I fix an iPhone time zone bug, my time changes at random?

I

iMore Question

iPhone time zone bug - time changes at random

It's happened 3-4 times - for the past few weeks the time on my iPhone (6 Plus, iOS 8.2, Sprint) has changed, seemly at random, to be an hour off. I should be using Eastern but the setting changes back one hour to the Central time zone. I can correct it by turning off/back on the "Set Automatically" switch under Date & Time, but I missed a meeting this morning and don't want it to happen again. I suppose I can try turning off "set Automatically" but that doesn't seem like a real solution. Anyone else experiencing this or have a solution?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Re: iPhone time zone bug - time changes at random

Try setting it as it should be on eastern time with automatic turned on. Then do a hard reset.
Hold the top power/sleep button and the home button at the same time until the Apple logo appears, then release.
Hope that works!

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

nonagon1

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site

Thanks, but I actually did a hard reset yesterday, and problem occurred again this morning.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

It's happened 3-4 times - for the past few weeks the time on my iPhone (6 Plus, iOS 8.2, Sprint) has changed, seemly at random, to be an hour off. I should be using Eastern but the setting changes back one hour to the Central time zone. I can correct it by turning off/back on the "Set Automatically" switch under Date & Time, but I missed a meeting this morning and don't want it to happen again. I suppose I can try turning off "set Automatically" but that doesn't seem like a real solution. Anyone else experiencing this or have a solution?

Rather than assuming a bug within iOS, I'd be far more suspicious of cell tower issues. The "set automatically" actually pulls the time from the cell tower that your phone is currently attached to. Depending on whether or not you travel out of your local time zone, or how frequently you do, I'd go with setting the time locally on the iPhone and not relying on ATT/VZW/Sprint/TMO/Other for the correct time.

The cell tower issues have been even more problematic around the time of the DST switch.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

Thanks, but I actually did a hard reset yesterday, and problem occurred again this morning.
Switch to manual time setting... you're encountering a misconfigured piece of network gear that your phone is getting faulty settings from.

zeuji

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site

I'm having this issue too, it's incredibly annoying. As for your meeting, you should have been an hour early...just sayin'.

Pale Wraith

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site

Its been several years since I've encountered this problem and it was an issue with a network server in another state. Tech support told me to turn off the automatic time setting. Check with your carrier just make sure you talk to tech support.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus