Is it really safe to use Apple pay to buy stuff with nfc or not worth the risk ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    03-15-2015 10:47 PM
    That's up to you if you don't think it is safe. If you don't think it is safe, then using your debit or credit card itself won't be safe for you as well. If you are worried about Apple pay, then just use cash

03-15-2015 10:53 PM
    That's up to you if you don't think it is safe. If you don't think it is safe, then using your debit or credit card itself won't be safe for you as well. If you are worried about Apple pay, then just use cash

Well an article says it can be hacked or something .... You can't exactly hack a credit card itself.

03-15-2015 11:20 PM
    Well an article says it can be hacked or something .... You can't exactly hack a credit card itself.

You would probably have more issues with credit card scanners than actual somebody hacking your iPhone
    03-15-2015 11:21 PM

Pay hasn't been hacked. Pathetic verification process by banks have allowed stolen credit/debit cards to be verified and added.
    Les74 and sting7k like this.
    03-16-2015 12:09 AM
    FUD
    03-16-2015 12:16 AM
    Pay hasn't been hacked. Pathetic verification process by banks have allowed stolen credit/debit cards to be verified and added.
    Ah. I just been skimming those articles since while I had an interest in the iPhone for months I never viewed Apple pay as a must have feature . Android had it for years and I never bothered with it . Good to know it doesn't seem as bad as those articles

03-16-2015 12:18 AM
    I almost get murdered every time I use it so I stopped...now when I DON'T use it, I almost get murdered. Lose/Lose.
    Les74 and JWButler14 like this.
    03-16-2015 12:45 PM
    I almost get murdered every time I use it so I stopped...now when I DON'T use it, I almost get murdered. Lose/Lose.
    You should probably relocate.
    03-16-2015 02:38 PM
    You should probably relocate.
    Relocated...got murdered. Moved back...got murdered again.
    Les74, JWButler14 and qbnkelt like this.
    03-16-2015 06:13 PM
    Relocated...got murdered. Moved back...got murdered again.
    Dammit!
    03-16-2015 11:08 PM
    McDonald's?
    03-16-2015 11:20 PM
    McDonald's?
    Taco Bell.
    03-17-2015 01:04 AM
    Taco Bell.
    That is your problem.
    03-17-2015 05:39 AM
    That is your problem.
    I don't see it as a problem at all...most times...it's more of a solution.
    JWButler14 likes this.
    03-17-2015 08:49 AM
    OK I've been using Apple Pay since launch. I haven't been murdered yet like Sean has. And my bank account hasnt been cleaned.
    This is just FUD that competing dying platforms like to proliferate to try to make themselves look good.

Sent from my gorgeous sexy white BEAST of a Note 4 ❤
    Not Quite Right likes this.
    03-17-2015 09:12 AM
    It's the whole purpose of it's conception, to be safe to use ...
    03-17-2015 11:05 AM
    With Apple Pay, instead of using your actual credit and debit card numbers when you add your card to Passbook, a unique Device Account Number is assigned, encrypted, and securely stored in the Secure Element, a dedicated chip in iPhone. These numbers are never stored on Apple servers. And when you make a purchase, the Device Account Number, along with a transaction-specific dynamic security code, is used to process your payment. So your actual credit or debit card numbers are never shared by Apple with merchants or transmitted with payment.
    03-17-2015 06:18 PM
    It's sort of like using a One-Time Credit Card. Apple Pay creates a virtual card of sorts for the purpose of that one purchase so even if the merchant's systems were hacked, like what happened to Home Depot, what the criminals have after you use Apple Pay is worth absolutely nothing.

The process is sometimes referred to as Payment Tokenization. Tokenization is a method for protecting card data by substituting a card's Primary Account Number (PAN) with a unique, randomly generated sequence of numbers, alphanumeric characters, or a combination of a truncated PAN and a random alphanumeric sequence.

So Apple Pay is secure. I would go so far as to say that it's ten-times more secure than using your actual credit card.
    qbnkelt likes this.
    03-17-2015 06:24 PM
    It's sort of like using a One-Time Credit Card. Apple Pay creates a virtual card of sorts for the purpose of that one purchase so even if the merchant's systems were hacked, like what happened to Home Depot, what the criminals have after you use Apple Pay is worth absolutely nothing.

The process is sometimes referred to as Payment Tokenization. Tokenization is a method for protecting card data by substituting a card's Primary Account Number (PAN) with a unique, randomly generated sequence of numbers, alphanumeric characters, or a combination of a truncated PAN and a random alphanumeric sequence.

So Apple Pay is secure. I would go so far as to say that it's ten-times more secure than using your actual credit card.
    Yes on that front but if you read the reports they say otherwise which is why I am asking

03-18-2015 10:40 AM
    I think the fraud situation lies in that you can steal someone's physical card or card information and add it to your Apple Pay.
    I believe it's some banks verification that's at issue.
    I don't believe someone can steal your info from Apple Pay.
    I'm pretty sure I used my banking passwords to add my cards to Apple Pay.
    There's a article on it in the iMore news section check it out.

Closingracer likes this.
    03-18-2015 11:33 AM
    Yes on that front but if you read the reports they say otherwise which is why I am asking

Just reading your responses in this thread...it's clear to me that no amount of discussion is going to convince you of what you've already decided is reality in your own head. Thankfully the real world of using Apple Pay doesn't function like you're so paranoid of, but if you'd rather choose to not use it based on your assumptions and what you've read online, you knock yourself out...

A bit of a suggestion though, since you're so invested in this online mumbo jumbo about Apple Pay being dangerous to use...you should probably refrain from driving a car, eating meat, going out in the sun and drinking bottled water...

Oh, and you should probably sell your iPhone and just go back to using a land line...because you're probably getting chernobyl levels of radiation.

Aluminum foil is probably on sale at your local grocer too...stock up!
    03-18-2015 12:14 PM
    Apple has had my banking info since 2001 that's 14 years never a issue.

03-18-2015 01:07 PM
    Is it really safe to use Apple pay to buy stuff with nfc or not worth the risk ?

Its safer than a dining establishment where the waitron takes your card... heads off to who knows where in the place to return with the slip for you to sign...
    BreakingKayfabe likes this.
    03-18-2015 01:09 PM
    Just reading your responses in this thread...it's clear to me that no amount of discussion is going to convince you of what you've already decided is reality in your own head. Thankfully the real world of using Apple Pay doesn't function like you're so paranoid of, but if you'd rather choose to not use it based on your assumptions and what you've read online, you knock yourself out...

A bit of a suggestion though, since you're so invested in this online mumbo jumbo about Apple Pay being dangerous to use...you should probably refrain from driving a car, eating meat, going out in the sun and drinking bottled water...

Oh, and you should probably sell your iPhone and just go back to using a land line...because you're probably getting chernobyl levels of radiation.

Aluminum foil is probably on sale at your local grocer too...stock up!

Err what ? It's a question genius .....I'm just going to ignore you from now on .... So all these articles are liars ? It's a question. I've been using Apple Pay ...just bought my leather case at the Apple Store with it .

Also I skimmed the articles in question on Engadget since I didn't own an iPhone at the time . Read like the first paragraph and that's it . You're the one making assumptions .....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    03-18-2015 02:38 PM
30 12