Lightning cable frayed

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I got a a Zagg lighting right after the 5S came out. It stays in my truck and gets bent stuck between seat and liquid spills still holding up great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
To be honest, there's loads available on Amazon and elsewhere that purport to be MFI certified. I have one that I bought from Amazon that was allegedly MFI certified and it just does not charge my ipad to 100%. It always stops short, sometimes by seven percent and sometimes up to twenty percent. There's often no substitute for the real thing.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I trust the monoprice MFi certified lightning cables. The fraying issue happens to them all if you use your phone a lot while charging it. I do all the time. And I have fraying issues constantly. I've been through a lot of electrical tape.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I use the one from VZW. It's 6 foot and is super strong in my opinion. I really don't use my phone and charge it at the same time but the wife and kids do.

Hansana

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Take it to apple. Most of the time they will roe lace it for free. I have replaced my cable more than 3 times now.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

cornettbr

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Never knew apple would replace it... But I also never used to live near an apple store. My 5 cables were fraying so often I just bought a mophie case so I could charge with a USB.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Take it to apple. Most of the time they will roe lace it for free. I have replaced my cable more than 3 times now.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk
Closest Apple store is 80 miles away. Cost more in gas than to buy another.

hearmeoutx

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Closest Apple store is 80 miles away. Cost more in gas than to buy another.

You can contact their online support and since you do not have a local Apple Store they will ship you a new lightning cable.

Apple will replace damaged lightning cables for free. I actually have two that I need to take in to have replaced, but I figured I will take care of that when I go for my phone this week. No other company that I know of will replace a charger free of charger.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
You can contact their online support and since you do not have a local Apple Store they will ship you a new lightning cable.

Apple will replace damaged lightning cables for free. I actually have two that I need to take in to have replaced, but I figured I will take care of that when I go for my phone this week. No other company that I know of will replace a charger free of charger.

Thanks!

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
What the hell are you guys doing with your cables? I still have a cable from my freakin' iPhone 5 that still works like a charm and has been in my car for YEARS. Are you trying to use them as towing ropes or something?

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I have one frayed Apple cable and its 30 pin that either came with iPad 2 or 4S or maybe my 3GS.
The 5S was my first lighting product that cable is still good. I lose them on the road before they break or fray.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
What the hell are you guys doing with your cables? I still have a cable from my freakin' iPhone 5 that still works like a charm and has been in my car for YEARS. Are you trying to use them as towing ropes or something?
Sean, I use my phone a lot while charging it. All the movement and twisting about causes the unravel over time. I still use my iP 5, and it has to be charged 2 or 3 times a day. So we're talking about 5 hours of using the phone while it's charging each day.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Sean, I use my phone a lot while charging it. All the movement and twisting about causes the unravel over time. I still use my iP 5, and it has to be charged 2 or 3 times a day. So we're talking about 5 hours of using the phone while it's charging each day.

I'm sorry, but I still don't get it...the cord in my Jeep has been used in and out of different cars for years, used on multiple devices every time I get in the car or someone is riding with me...has seen rain, river water, mud, dirt, sand and has probably been stepped on, pulled, smashed by random stuff and another hundred things I'm not even thinking of...and it's not destroyed even a little...at worst maybe a little dirty, but still totally functional and without cosmetic damage.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry, but I still don't get it...the cord in my Jeep has been used in and out of different cars for years, used on multiple devices every time I get in the car or someone is riding with me...has seen rain, river water, mud, dirt, sand and has probably been stepped on, pulled, smashed by random stuff and another hundred things I'm not even thinking of...and it's not destroyed even a little...at worst maybe a little dirty, but still totally functional and without cosmetic damage.

But have you used your phone a lot while it's charging? If so, then I don't know either. I just know both my Apple cables and my 10' monoprice cable have done the same way.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

Agreed.

The only Apple cable that I've ever seen coming apart was the 30-pin cable that the grandkids abused continuously. I still have 30-pin cables that look brand new. I also have several lightning cables, and none of them show any signs of fraying or coming apart.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Agreed.

The only Apple cable that I've ever seen coming apart was the 30-pin cable that the grandkids abused continuously. I still have 30-pin cables that look brand new. I also have several lightning cables, and none of them show any signs of fraying or coming apart.

Do you use your phone a lot while it's charging?

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Do you use your phone a lot while it's charging?

Occasionally at home. Almost always when I'm in the car.

Sent from my mobile device via Tapatalk 3.2.1 - you know, the version BEFORE they totally borked the app.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox