Lightning cable frayed

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
But have you used your phone a lot while it's charging? If so, then I don't know either. I just know both my Apple cables and my 10' monoprice cable have done the same way.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

When I was a cop, my phone was almost ALWAYS connected and charging, 8-12 hours, 4 days a week...now, if I'm in the car, it is charging, if I'm at home, it's usually loose (but charges over night on my night stand).

Like I said man, no offense, but that picture above did not come from normal usage.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
When I was a cop, my phone was almost ALWAYS connected and charging, 8-12 hours, 4 days a week...now, if I'm in the car, it is charging, if I'm at home, it's usually loose (but charges over night on my night stand).

Like I said man, no offense, but that picture above did not come from normal usage.

I'm retired and at home most of the time. I sit in my easy chair to use my phone. It's where I charge it. I have it plugged in beside my chair. I never carry the cable anywhere unless my Wife is in the hospital. It's from using my phone while charging. I do nothing else that could do that. It gets bent, pulled and twisted around. It takes several months to get that way. Maybe I'm just doing it all wrong. If I had an iP 6 or 6 Plus, I wouldn't need to charge it so much. I'm on my phone at least 15 hours a day and get about 4? sleep each night. IDK?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't know man...but that wire you pictured above looks like it's been PULLED apart. Crazy that you are very inactive with your device...I'd imagine, based on your description, that your cords would all look pristine and unused.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Very Interesting...... just before this string strung I threw away a 30 pin version of Ledsteplins' offering. I put this down to the loose and fragile rubber outer sleeve on the genuine apple cables, which if I had to hazard a guess are made that way to coil softly and reduce springiness, as I previously mentioned that was my third failed cable so I've only got one more genuine apple cable to go ! I have three non apple cables which show no signs of fraying at all (30 pin).

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
I trust the monoprice MFi certified lightning cables. The fraying issue happens to them all if you use your phone a lot while charging it. I do all the time. And I have fraying issues constantly. I've been through a lot of electrical tape.

I have 2 10' foot Monoprice cables that didn't fray, but just stopped working out of the blue. A quick email to customer service and both were replaced free of charge (no pun intended). Life time warranty I believe ...

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I have 2 10' foot Monoprice cables that didn't fray, but just stopped working out of the blue. A quick email to customer service and both were replaced free of charge (no pun intended). Life time warranty I believe ...

Odd they both quit working. How long had you had them? I used mine for 8 months before it began to fray. Then I tried to sturdy it up and made it worse. Now there's a short up where I can't reach. So if I plug it in, it goes on and off on and off. LOL I've given up on it. Did you have to return the faulty cables?

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
Odd they both quit working. How long had you had them? I used mine for 8 months before it began to fray. Then I tried to sturdy it up and made it worse. Now there's a short up where I can't reach. So if I plug it in, it goes on and off on and off. LOL I've given up on it. Did you have to return the faulty cables?

Both were hardly used, about 9 months old, and looked like new. Monoprice emailed me a prepaid shipping label that I printed out. I then mailed the cables out, about a week later new cables arrived ...

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Both were hardly used, about 9 months old, and looked like new. Monoprice emailed me a prepaid shipping label that I printed out. I then mailed the cables out, about a week later new cables arrived ...

I have had nothing but excellent customer service and an overall great experience with Monoprice and their products.

jdlnmia

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
The OEM Apple lightning cable is disgraceful. I have replaced the thing at least 2-4 times per iPhone since it came out (iPhone 5, 5S & 6 Plus)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro