128gb high page faults

typhonx

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I would say apps constantly reload when I open them up. iMessage, Safari, Google hangout, words with friends. I could message someone with iMessage then lock the phone and go back and it will for a split second me on someone else then switch to the person I previously messaged. In Google hangout it will just reload the whole app when I go in it, when it may have been the last app I just used before locking the phone.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
This sounds very much like the complaints that many users have expressed with the 128GB version of the 6 Plus. You can try having it replaced, but from what I've read, the page faults are often still present, but most people don't report the issues you've listed her as things that really interrupt efficient usage of the device.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I got my 128GB replaced yesterday because of the issues the OP described. I was going from Tapatalk to iMessage and back to Tapatalk within 20 seconds and it would relaunch. It was just getting stupid and I decided to pay a visit to Apple and they replaced it. So we'll see how it turns out with this one. I didn't even bother to ask about the NAND thing because I quite frankly don't care to understand it.

I suggest you do the same, OP.

typhonx

May 11, 2013
Visit site
It drives me nuts. I try to tell others with iPhones and they have no clue what I am talking about. I probably should do what the previous guy says and try and get it replaced. But I do not have an Apple Store in my city. I would have to do over phone and they would try and trouble shoot what? The phone technically works.

dksuri

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
My device just seems to be sluggish! switching between apps just seems tho lag a lot and have issues with Safari, I always get an error saying that there was error loading the page and it needs to reload.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
My device just seems to be sluggish! switching between apps just seems tho lag a lot and have issues with Safari, I always get an error saying that there was error loading the page and it needs to reload.

That's more an OS thing. I'd restore as new if it's that bad.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Page Faults snapshot for my 128GB 6+ are shown below. I'm not too worried about it as overall my phone is working well. Yes there is some infrequent lag when switching between apps, and refreshes. Whether or not thats related to Page Faults occurring is not known.

Before I go further I'll say I'm not an expert in this space. Just putting together some concepts I've learned over the years.

A few links are below that help provide more details about Page Faults and how they fit into Virtual Memory Management. As the articles state, a Page Fault is not necessarily a bad thing - the fault process is how the VMM goes about managing access requests, retrieving or retiring memory pages, etc.

Where the concern may develop is if there are Hard Faults or Disk Thrashing (as noted in the iOS article), whereby the VMM is having to swap pages/data from hard disk more than normally expected.

As the TechNet article indicates, it fairly easy to setup Perfmon to monitor and log Page Faults and other related memory and system cache performance data. From there it can be determined if there are actually problems or just normal memory management activity. I don't know how to do this on iOS.

Paging - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

https://developer.apple.com/library...tual/ManagingMemory/Articles/AboutMemory.html

The Basics of Page Faults - Ask the Performance Team - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

Attachments

• IMG_2458.jpg
    IMG_2458.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Suggest contacting Apple Support over chat or phone. The chat option works well in my experience. Explain the symptoms you're having and the page fault observations. They can run remote diagnostics (with your permission) and see if there are any potential hardware or software problems. Might help from a peace of mind standpoint, and could save you a trip/time to an actual Apple Store or authorized support retailer/center.

Peter Ramirez1

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
So this constant app refreshing is not a normal iOS thing? Everytime time I switch from app to app I have to refresh. This is my first iPhone since the 3G, I just figured it was normal for the iPhone.

NexuaONE

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73