iPhone 6 Plus bent.... Now what?

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Why does everyone jump on someone and try breaking down the meaning behind every word to find some fault in their logic on here? This is like a damn sewing circle sometimes. If someone is having a problem with their phone they are having a problem and sometimes sign up for their first time ever to a forum looking for help or advice. if you're tired of reading the same posts don't click on it. I personally come to forums because a lot of times people have some good stuff to say but I must point out that the imore forums have about the most bitter and defensive group of people I have ever seen.

Very well said. I agree.

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
No one is blindly defending any corporation.
My point was that anything any phone will bend or break.
You said iPhone has a bending problem. It doesn't. It will bend like anything else and like many other phones that will bend if pressure is applied.

You said name another phone in history that has bending problem. I gave you 4 examples of phones that have bent or even swelled.

Careful, the Sony Xperia Z3 can also bend in your jeans like an iPhone 6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You did give a good example with Sony and I would tell the Sony owners the same thing. Return it and always expect better when you pay so much.

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure why it is so important to make these phones as thin as possible that they'd bend easier than phones of the past 2 years or so. I wonder if there was some market research that Apple did that said many felt phones were to thick and too heavy.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I'm not sure why it is so important to make these phones as thin as possible that they'd bend easier than phones of the past 2 years or so. I wonder if there was some market research that Apple did that said many felt phones were to thick and too heavy.

I bet they did do their research. You have to remember that these guys must have hundreds of different prototypes between the products in their product line.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Why does everyone jump on someone and try breaking down the meaning behind every word to find some fault in their logic on here?
"Everyone"? I'd argue that not even "most" members here do that.
This is like a damn sewing circle sometimes.
meh
If someone is having a problem with their phone they are having a problem and sometimes sign up for their first time ever to a forum looking for help or advice.
I agree, and they often find that help and advice right here at iMore.
if you're tired of reading the same posts don't click on it.
No arguments here.
I personally come to forums because a lot of times people have some good stuff to say but I must point out that the imore forums have about the most bitter and defensive group of people I have ever seen.
I disagree. A majority of the membership here are extremely helpful, and their helpful posts are plentiful. Having said that, many of our members are not the silent type who stand by and just take what is posted. Many of us, will indeed post an opinion and/or a rebuttal to something we find odd, untrue and/or trollish, and there's nothing wrong with that, but somehow, there's an attitude among some people in which doing so or having an alternate view is demeaning, bullish, offensive, and as you've put it, trying to break down every word to find fault. This forum is for members, not just for certain members.

Last edited:

adrianeddington

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I'm not a frequent visitor of the imore forums, but in my limited interactions here I agree that the overall experience has been farely positive...this post included.

I get that certain things that are posted online will be met with a degree of skepticism, perhaps rightfully so...especially from newbies. From past experiences I know it's a pointless act to try and convince a complete stranger to have faith that what you say is true, so I don't bother with those type of comments.

Anyhow, I have an appointment at the Apple Store tonight so we'll see what happens. I'm fully prepared to pay for a replacement phone since I'm absolutely [key word] responsible [key word] for what happened to my current phone.

Many years ago I had a somewhat similar situation occur with a pair of Nike shoes. It was a new model for their basketball line, first time ever I think using full-length Air Max cushioning. Now this was back when I played basketball daily for hours on end...lots of running, jumping, cutting, etc but things that are perfectly normal on the basketball court. So one day, I was playing in the shoes and had just completed a slam dunk when I landed and heard a loud pop...the air bubble had burst. When this happened the shoes were only about a month or two old. Maybe it was how often I wore the shoes, how fast I ran or jumped that caused the damage I don't know. Called NIKE, informed them what happened they inspected the shoes and sent me a voucher which I used to buy a pair of shoes that had a different type of cushioning because I decided that maybe that model just wasn't a good fit for me and my style of game.

Maybe I end up feeling more comfortable with a different device, I don't know. I just want to be able to use/carry my phone around with no worries.

Here's a pic of those shoes from my story. Didn't buy them for the looks, but they were mighty comfy while they lasted iMoreAppImg_20150226_120957.jpg

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm not a frequent visitor of the imore forums, but in my limited interactions here I agree that the overall experience has been farely positive...this post included.

I get that certain things that are posted online will be met with a degree of skepticism, perhaps rightfully so...especially from newbies. From past experiences I know it's a pointless act to try and convince a complete stranger to have faith that what you say is true, so I don't bother with those type of comments.

Anyhow, I have an appointment at the Apple Store tonight so we'll see what happens. I'm fully prepared to pay for a replacement phone since I'm absolutely [key word] responsible [key word] for what happened to my current phone.

Many years ago I had a somewhat similar situation occur with a pair of Nike shoes. It was a new model for their basketball line, first time ever I think using full-length Air Max cushioning. Now this was back when I played basketball daily for hours on end...lots of running, jumping, cutting, etc but things that are perfectly normal on the basketball court. So one day, I was playing in the shoes and had just completed a slam dunk when I landed and heard a loud pop...the air bubble had burst. When this happened the shoes were only about a month or two old. Maybe it was how often I wore the shoes, how fast I ran or jumped that caused the damage I don't know. Called NIKE, informed them what happened they inspected the shoes and sent me a voucher which I used to buy a pair of shoes that had a different type of cushioning because I decided that maybe that model just wasn't a good fit for me and my style of game.

Maybe I end up feeling more comfortable with a different device, I don't know. I just want to be able to use/carry my phone around with no worries.

Here's a pic of those shoes from my story. Didn't buy them for the looks, but they were mighty comfy while they lasted View attachment 78009

I totally get what you're saying, but it still doesn't mean that the shoe was defective nor was the shoe damaged until you damaged them, albeit unintentionally. Granted, there is an expectation that something should perform admirably under certain conditions, I get it. Having said that, big companies who create a product for $10 (for example's sake) and sell that same product for $210 will almost always replace said product without a fuss. Not because of a defect, but because it benefits them in the long run because you, as a buying customer, will remember the incident and the rendered service. Furthermore, they're not losing any money with the replacement. Anyway, good luck to you with regard to your iPhone.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Y'all are thick in the magic. I get liking a device. But the defense of clear issues that could use improvement is unfortunate.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

There is no "clear issue"...but this coming from you is not surprising at all. You seem to chime in to stir up dust most times.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Why does everyone jump on someone and try breaking down the meaning behind every word to find some fault in their logic on here? This is like a damn sewing circle sometimes. If someone is having a problem with their phone they are having a problem and sometimes sign up for their first time ever to a forum looking for help or advice. if you're tired of reading the same posts don't click on it. I personally come to forums because a lot of times people have some good stuff to say but I must point out that the imore forums have about the most bitter and defensive group of people I have ever seen.

Nobody is forcing you to stay in our "sewing circle"...the beauty of a forum like this. In the same fashion you suggested people don't click on threads they are tired of reading, I suggest you move past posts you're tired of reading as well...you know, taking some of your own medicine so to speak.

The problem here is that week in and week out we have someone somewhere that complains about the bending of an iPhone. Now to be honest, OP has been rather civil and very understanding of the responses here, so all in all, there's really no issue with him at all...but you little forum heroes that try and show up to "fight for justice" are so absolutely hilarious in retrospect.

This is a smart phone that is large in size that has a metal chassis that can bend under certain circumstances...in the same way the hood on my car is made of metal and will bend under certain circumstances. If I sat on my hood and it bent, should I complain to the manufacturer that the car should have been made better? They'd laugh all the way to the door as it shut in my face...and for good reason, because the hood bent due to my activities, not because it is a malleable item in certain situations.

Apple just happens to be an amazing customer service focused company so they strive to make people happy, even if it costs them a buck...thank god for that because it makes getting service on our devices very easy.

Yet for some reason the lot of you here with your forum hero capes on want people to just sit back and say "Oh man! That sucks! Apple should do better!" What's next? People dropping their phones and your crew demanding the same kind of response? What about throwing it into the ocean? "OH man! Apple should have known!"

Give me a break.

adrianeddington

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I totally get what you're saying, but it still doesn't mean that the shoe was defective nor was the shoe damaged until you damaged them, albeit unintentionally. Granted, there is an expectation that something should perform admirably under certain conditions, I get it. Having said that, big companies who create a product for $10 (for example's sake) and sell that same product for $210 will almost always replace said product without a fuss. Not because of a defect, but because it benefits them in the long run because you, as a buying customer, will remember the incident and the rendered service. Furthermore, they're not losing any money with the replacement. Anyway, good luck to you with regard to your iPhone.

This is true. I really don't believe that the iPhone 6 Plus has a flawed design, or that I received a defective unit. Pretty certain that I never used those exact words, but I get that perhaps some people may come to that conclusion from my posts so let me set that record straight and state that I don't believe that to be the case.

I included "now what" in my thread title because I'm not sure what to do next. For example, the phone is fully functional so I probably could avoid taking it back to Apple and just continue using it as is. I could take it back to Apple for a replacement (paid or free) and just be even more careful next time. I could buy a more protective case like an Otterbox defender or just sell the phone and downgrade back to my old i5.

The only time I knowingly damaged any iPhone was when I dropped my 4S and broke the screen. Was very upset with MYSELF for being so careless, but at the same time I had no problem paying for $250 for a replacement unit because it was total negligence on my part. I learned my lesson the hard way and ever since I've been overly protective of all my phones that's why this situation has been so frustrating. I honestly feel pretty confident saying that I haven't been careless with my plus.

Anyway, thanks for the well wishes!

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
This is true. I really don't believe that the iPhone 6 Plus has a flawed design, or that I received a defective unit. Pretty certain that I never used those exact words, but I get that perhaps some people may come to that conclusion from my posts so let me set that record straight and state that I don't believe that to be the case.

I included "now what" in my thread title because I'm not sure what to do next. For example, the phone is fully functional so I probably could avoid taking it back to Apple and just continue using it as is. I could take it back to Apple for a replacement (paid or free) and just be even more careful next time. I could buy a more protective case like an Otterbox defender or just sell the phone and downgrade back to my old i5.

The only time I knowingly damaged any iPhone was when I dropped my 4S and broke the screen. Was very upset with MYSELF for being so careless, but at the same time I had no problem paying for $250 for a replacement unit because it was total negligence on my part. I learned my lesson the hard way and ever since I've been overly protective of all my phones that's why this situation has been so frustrating. I honestly feel pretty confident saying that I haven't been careless with my plus.

It's very refreshing to see some logic and good attitude from new members. Hope you stick around man!

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

You're very welcome, sir...;)

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
View attachment 77987

Forgot the pic.

And for the record, I don't wear skinny jeans or carry the phone in my back pocket. Honestly I don't know how this happened or what I can do to prevent it from worsening or occurring again in the future 😩

It's a flawed design, so nothing you can really do to prevent it. Apple wanted to go lighter so instead of reinforcing the frame which most manufacturers do they didn't and this is the result. Hopefully the 6s+ fixes this issue.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Taking responsibility for bending your iPhone? This thread should be joined with the "I don't want anything thicker to add to battery life thread." Can anyone here name me another phone in the history of phones with a bending problem?

Posted via the iMore App for Android

You won't get that on these forums. Apple is perfect and their products never have any issues. It is always the users fault (well according to many on here anyway)

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
You won't get that on these forums. Apple is perfect and their products never have any issues. It is always the users fault (well according to many on here anyway)

Out of 75 million iPhones that Apple sold in 3 months, how many were 6 Pluses, you think? Possibly half? Maybe more? You really think a few heavyset people and jackasses who bend their phone out of all those sold qualify the bending thing as a "problem"?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox