iPhone 6 Plus bent.... Now what?

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
:rotfl::rotfl:

Oh dang you beat me to posting a pic of the bent Quasi....er...BlackBerry Passport!!!! :rotfl:

Yup....the screen is held together with sticky tape....and if you DARE say anything about it, the fanboys talk about your (presumed) weight problem and they tell you that you put it in a vice....

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It's a flawed design, so nothing you can really do to prevent it. Apple wanted to go lighter so instead of reinforcing the frame which most manufacturers do they didn't and this is the result. Hopefully the 6s+ fixes this issue.

You expect them to reinforce the device against all kinds of user activities? We'll end up with an iPhone the size of an otter box if this is the case. It's now flawed...flawed implies that there is something inherently wrong with the design of the phone under normal circumstances.

Is it a heavy weight in the durability department? Certainly not. The materials used to make it should kind of tell you that up front...other manufacturers make their devices out of plastic, which is of course going to be far more durable under even extreme circumstances...but there's a trade off in design and weight. Would you complain that a private jet has a design flaw because it can't withstand the kind of things a military cargo plane can go through with no issue? Or how about a car? Is the Ferrari 458 flawed by design because of the damage it endures in daily use vs. a dodge caravan that is kind of a tank in regards to durability?

You're trying to convince people that Apple designed the phone improperly and it does not hold up well in every day usage (reflective of your "flawed" comment)...yet the vast majority of consumers who bought these devices haven't had any bending problems.

You won't get that on these forums. Apple is perfect and their products never have any issues. It is always the users fault (well according to many on here anyway)

Why would anyone logically start faulting the company for something that isn't a problem? You imply that people who stand against the idea that the design is flawed are some how not being truthful to themselves, but what am I to do when I have a phone that sees all kinds of activities and remains perfectly fine almost 6 months after release? Just assume it will EVENTUALLY bend and start clamoring on about it like the handful that have come to iMore and done?

Apple is far from perfect...and their products have all kinds of issues...it's just that bending under normal circumstances is NOT one of those issues. Period.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Why would anyone logically start faulting the company for something that isn't a problem? You imply that people who stand against the idea that the design is flawed are some how not being truthful to themselves, but what am I to do when I have a phone that sees all kinds of activities and remains perfectly fine almost 6 months after release? Just assume it will EVENTUALLY bend and start clamoring on about it like the handful that have come to iMore and done?

Apple is far from perfect...and their products have all kinds of issues...it's just that bending under normal circumstances is NOT one of those issues. Period.

And let's be even more real, if it hadn't been for that video of that nasal-voiced hipster purposely putting every inch of his effort into bending that phone in a video that went viral, this wouldn't be that much of a discussion. But that's the generation that we live in. When all these millennials just look at stuff like that and determine that it's a fact that the iPhone 6 Plus has a "bending problem."

When I get a chance later I'm going to take pictures of my 6 Plus that has literally landed face first on a pavement and brick sidewalk from chest distance (without a case) and show how much it has held up. Aside from the dings and scratches on the back of the thing. And guess what? The phone didn't bend. It'll be a good chance to see how nice the iPad Air 2 camera is also, lol

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The only thing I can guesstimate is that this entitlement generation has decided that everything should be built to withstand ANYTHING they can think to put it through...soon, you'll see complaints about 60" LED tv's because people want to carry them around wherever they go and end up breaking them. I mean you should be able to drop your flat screen tv and it not break for sure...must be a design flaw.

Then...cars that can't be damaged is a legitimate demand, right? I shouldn't have to deal with a wrecked car if I have an accident...it's an accident after all, right? My car should be able to withstand the impact of a tree and look exactly the same as it did before the tree. Design flaw.

trparky

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
You see, it's discussions like this on other sites that made me very wary about getting the iPhone 6 Plus. Now that I have it I'm in this ultra-paranoid mode of making sure that I don't do anything that could cause any damage to the device. I have AppleCare+ on the device and if something like bending does happen to it I'll take it into my local Apple Store and have them take care of me. I'll calmly explain how I use, pocket, and handle my device and show that I didn't do anything to intentionally bend the iPhone.

I have a CandyShell Grip case on it, I keep it in the front pocket of my jeans while standing up but when I sit I take it out of my pocket and keep it in my hands. I wear jeans that are relaxed fit and may even consider getting jeans that are of the "Loose" type which claim to be even "baggier" than relaxed fit. Not only for the device itself but I also like room to carry stuff with me, I tend to load my pockets down with (often) stuff that I don't need. I don't like fitted anything, clothing should be big enough on you that you feel comfortable while wearing it.

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
All I expect from my 6+ is that it be at least as durable as my other phones. I also have a Note 3, Note 4, Note Edge, and G3. I simply expect the 6+ to hold up as well as the others under the same circumstances. I take pretty good care of my devices so I don't expect it to be an issue.

jakdillard

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
Case Mate carbon fiber alloy

Adopted leather wrapped case

Otter Box symmetry

Power Support air jacket

Pure gear slim shell

These are cases that I've used that have pretty hard backs that will decrease the chances of bending in pockets, however right now I use a zagg orbit which is just a bumper and no bends.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
You see, it's discussions like this on other sites that made me very wary about getting the iPhone 6 Plus. Now that I have it I'm in this ultra-paranoid mode of making sure that I don't do anything that could cause any damage to the device. I have AppleCare+ on the device and if something like bending does happen to it I'll take it into my local Apple Store and have them take care of me. I'll calmly explain how I use, pocket, and handle my device and show that I didn't do anything to intentionally bend the iPhone.

I have a CandyShell Grip case on it, I keep it in the front pocket of my jeans while standing up but when I sit I take it out of my pocket and keep it in my hands. I wear jeans that are relaxed fit and may even consider getting jeans that are of the "Loose" type which claim to be even "baggier" than relaxed fit. Not only for the device itself but I also like room to carry stuff with me, I tend to load my pockets down with (often) stuff that I don't need. I don't like fitted anything, clothing should be big enough on you that you feel comfortable while wearing it.

I've got that case too, along with several Otterbox Symmetry cases. I've got the 6, not the Plus. But when I do get the Plus it will go in a Symmetry or a Speck Candy Shell Grip.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
You won't get that on these forums. Apple is perfect and their products never have any issues. It is always the users fault (well according to many on here anyway)

Seriously? Let's briefly discuss the "facts" of the OP's situation....again!.....The iPhone 6 Plus, poor design and all, as you put it, was not bent when the OP purchased it. In fact, it was not bent when it was packaged, transported, stocked and sold. It wasn't until the OP's interaction (the application of enough pressure) did the device get bent. In other words, it was the user's fault, and the aforementioned facts are irrefutable.

Now, let's address Apple. It, like any other business, is NOT perfect neither are the people who work for Apple. With that in mind, and i'll say this for the gazillionth time, their products and services are NOT for everyone. In other words, their products and services are NOT perfect. If they were, then everyone would use them. Please bookmark this page to reference in the future when you have the urge to conclude that many of us deem Apple to be perfect.

Finally, and what I'm about to say has nothing to do with the OP, too many people have somehow traded away personal responsibility. If a phone gets bent from being sat on while in their back pockets, it's easier to say that the phone should have been built better than it is to say how stupid it was to not remove the phone from your back pocket before sitting.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Finally, and what I'm about to say has nothing to do with the OP, too many people have somehow traded away personal responsibility. If a phone gets bent from being sat on while in their back pockets, it's easier to say that the phone should have been built better than it is to say how stupid it was to not remove the phone from your back pocket before sitting.
'Nuff said. :D

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

This is why in today's modern society, children live at home without being in school or employed until they're into their 20's, when people get fired they sue rather than learn from the reason they got fired and try harder next time, and why people get luxury items provided to them (like cell phones or internet service) when they can't afford it because their logic is "If this person can have it, I should be able to have it too!"

Get in line for your government cheese and smart phone folks!

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
Lol, I like the guy getting mad about the guy bending his phone and not knowing how exactly he did it... My plus bent a little around the volume keys and I was shocked. I was being careful and it was in a case and I still don't know how I did it. I bent it back straight no big deal.

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Lol, I like the guy getting mad about the guy bending his phone and not knowing how exactly he did it... My plus bent a little around the volume keys and I was shocked. I was being careful and it was in a case and I still don't know how I did it. I bent it back straight no big deal.

That is not reassuring.

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I agree. The one thing I know is, no matter how easily I bent my plus if I decided to sell it I could probably get %90 of what I paid!!!! Another reason I went apple this time instead of anything else.

Pale Wraith

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
Given the quantities that are being manufactured there's sure to be a small percentage that have defects. That's a possibility here. You could've just received one that would bend when the vast majority wouldn't.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Given the quantities that are being manufactured there's sure to be a small percentage that have defects. That's a possibility here. You could've just received one that would bend when the vast majority wouldn't.

True...;)

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I agree. The one thing I know is, no matter how easily I bent my plus if I decided to sell it I could probably get %90 of what I paid!!!! Another reason I went apple this time instead of anything else.

Uhh.. I wouldn't be so sure about that. (username irony, haha) If you bent your 6 Plus, I'm confident your phone's value would drop, significantly.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I made an appointment at the Genius Bar and ultimately they'll determine what happens next.

As far as convincing anyone that the phone bent itself, that's not the intent of my post. Of course the phone didn't bend itself, my frustration is that I treated the device with what considered extreme care and it was still damaged...apparently it's much more delicate than I thought.

Regardless of if it's free or with a fee, I will receive a new phone soon enough. Bigger picture, I'm more concerned with how to avoid this situation reoccurring in the future so it's not an ongoing situation.

I am having trouble with this. Clearly these devices require reasonable care, but they are far from delicate. I carry mine in my back jeans pocked most of the time with a Spigen Neo Hybrid case - not the beefiest or most protective case on the market. I have found myself sitting on my iPhone 6 Plus on more than one occasion, yet it remains unbent.

Good luck with the Genius bar.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice