Should I close my apps?

trparky

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
OK, so after working with several apps the multi-tasking task switcher in iOS gets loaded up with apps. Should I swipe them off the screen thus closing them? Or should I just leave them alone?

Note: I'm coming from Android to the iOS platform so uh... yeah, I'm not sure if the things I did on Android have to be done on iOS as well.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Some apps should be closed when not in use... Like those that use GPS in the background... Others you don't have to... No big deal... I always close apps I'm not using... habit.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I close everything but the apps I user frequently. Safari and messages are almost always left open. I do close any apps that use GPS or try to refresh in the background like the others who posted do.

anon8656116

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
I do close any apps that use GPS or try to refresh in the background like the others who posted do.

If you turn off background app refresh and set GPS access to “While Using the App” (if available) for these apps then you don’t have to close them either. Apple Maps and Google Maps, for instance, don’t consume any battery once you leave the app, unless they’re still in navigation mode (the blue status bar). Waze on the other hand needs GPS access “Always”. Some apps have been updated to restrict GPS access to active mode only, but not all have.

Coachbulldog

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Echo what several other posters have said, I close the ones that use location services when I'm not using them. At the end of the day, I close everything down.

This leads to another question; for some apps the location services choices are always, when using, never. Other apps only have two choices, always and never. Because of the battery drain issues other have mentioned, I would like for all apps to have the when using option. Would Apple ever require developers of apps that use location services to build when using feature into their apps?

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
I've been told, and have overheard many times at The Apple Genius Bar that it is unnecessary, or to a point detrimental to force close the Apps in the recently used menu on a regular basis. They've explained that iOS manages Apps, and memory very well. Unless you are experiencing a issue with an App, to leave well enough alone, and let iOS do it's job ...

anon8656116

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
This leads to another question; for some apps the location services choices are always, when using, never. Other apps only have two choices, always and never. Because of the battery drain issues other have mentioned, I would like for all apps to have the when using option. Would Apple ever require developers of apps that use location services to build when using feature into their apps?

It’s not that easy. There are legitimate use cases for “Always”. I agree that some apps should use “While Using” when it’s not necessary, but there are reasons for doing it that might not be obvious immediately. Take OneDrive, for example. It uses GPS as a trigger to kickstart the background uploading of photos. By design, iOS applications can’t run extended background processing on their own, but there are some tricks to get around it, GPS and push triggers being two of the more common ones. As a result, OneDrive is triggered whenever the app receives GPS input, thereby allowing it to check for new photos and uploading them before the system suspends the app again.

Pale Wraith

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
Unless I'm tracking down a problem I don't close apps. I find it's better to manage Background App Refresh and Location Services.

jianrong

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site
I usually just press home button and leave them paused in background. I turn off all refresh except for weather app with location on.

When any app having problem then i double home to swipe that app up to bin. :)

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I always close apps out every couple of days (all apps) not only because it's a habit but because if you don't, it takes forever trying to find the app you want in the bottom toolbar.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73