iPhone 6 Plus and Galaxy Note 4

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
Literally just traded my note 4 for the 6plus. I've been with android since the droid 1 on Verizon. Staying apple for now. Got sick of inconsistent devices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mchi5

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
Literally just traded my note 4 for the 6plus. I've been with android since the droid 1 on Verizon. Staying apple for now. Got sick of inconsistent devices.

Yup same here. Had my note 4 for the last 8 months but traded it in for the 6 plus and loved it. Thought I'd miss the customization of Android, but the smoothness of ios and ease outweighs it easily. Plus the same apps on both systems seems much smoother on ios

burwil

Apr 26, 2015
Visit site
I miss the writing stylus. Did shopping lists on widgets. That's pretty much it.

Sent from my iPhone 6 + using Tapatalk

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
Yup same here. Had my note 4 for the last 8 months but traded it in for the 6 plus and loved it. Thought I'd miss the customization of Android, but the smoothness of ios and ease outweighs it easily. Plus the same apps on both systems seems much smoother on ios

I second this. Everything just works, and works well. I've had a couple apps force close on me, but they just throw me to the home screen and I reopen them. No big deal. Plus with my job it works so much better with the 6plus. And battery life is amazing!

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I just bought my Note 5 and was planning on dual wielding it with my 6 plus. I sold my iPhone a couple weeks ago because I very much love this phone.

1)TouchWiz has been debloated and though I don't use it, it supports themes. I use Nova launcher as it let's me switch things around to my liking though
137220e142ffd3a9c036de39aa30521a.jpg

2)There is no lag. Absolutely none. I love it. I hated Samsung phones until the s6 and note 5 came around because of it.

3)The fingerprint scanner on the note 5 is just as good as the iPhone and with Samsung pay, you are not confined to NFC terminals, you can use magnetic readers as well.

3)The camera is phenomal but I still miss the iPhones ability to make the tone look better automatically

I very much enjoy the fruits of competition amongst cellphone makers.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
I just bought my Note 5 and was planning on dual wielding it with my 6 plus. I sold my iPhone a couple weeks ago because I very much love this phone.

1)TouchWiz has been debloated and though I don't use it, it supports themes. I use Nova launcher as it let's me switch things around to my liking though
//images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/02/137220e142ffd3a9c036de39aa30521a.jpg

2)There is no lag. Absolutely none. I love it. I hated Samsung phones until the s6 and note 5 came around because of it.

3)The fingerprint scanner on the note 5 is just as good as the iPhone and with Samsung pay, you are not confined to NFC terminals, you can use magnetic readers as well.

3)The camera is phenomal but I still miss the iPhones ability to make the tone look better automatically

I very much enjoy the fruits of competition amongst cellphone makers.

I just took my note 5 back last night. While it is a great phone and the battery is very good for an android phone. I just couldn't deal with how different the same apps function. I also didn't realize how much I use reachability. The camera and screen are both better on the note, but I just can't deal with android at this point.

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I just took my note 5 back last night. While it is a great phone and the battery is very good for an android phone. I just couldn't deal with how different the same apps function. I also didn't realize how much I use reachability. The camera and screen are both better on the note, but I just can't deal with android at this point.
Understandable, reachability is an innovative solution. Also I agree that android apps require more handholding

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
i know you said the note 4 but coming from a note 3 to the plus the one thing i hates with the samsung was the poor memory management. even with the 3gb of ram i would have to kill background running processes multiple times a day. usually once a day do a reboot also to make sure it would run ok.

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I am by no means a memory expert but compared the the iPhone, the Samsung was not as bad. People on the Note 5 forum are a bit disgruntled about having apps reloading after the 6 or 7th one but even on the iPhone, I couldn't get that far without webpages reloading in safari and the like. Samsung recently did a massive de-bloat of Touch Whiz which has helped a lot compared to my experience with the S5. Features have been modularized such that if you want them, they are always there to download but otherwise are not baked into the software. I think Google and Samsung in particular have finally come around to Apple's way of thinking that more is not always good and that there are penalties for each action you take. Google's next plan is to reign in apps by not allowing them to wake the phone up when things are idle like Apple most of the time does. I am having to use an app called Daze to get the same functionality. I still don't have the idle time I did with the iPhone but the camera, screen amongst others has more than made up for it. Plus fast charging helps a lot. I'm currently at 6-7 SOT on my Note 5 which is more than enough and dual screen multitasking doesn't reload apps for my usage.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I just switched SIM cards. And I understand about iMessage and FaceTime. It's hard when everyone uses it and you don't.

Sent from my iPad Air 2 using Tapatalk

If you want a great default texting experience on Android you pretty much have to Get a Samsung or LG phone. Their Stock SMS clients (especially Samsung's) lets you send a ton of different types of data over MMS and it does not compress images or video as aggressively as i.e. HTC's.

iMessage doesn't matter as much as it did in the past since iOS/OS X SMS/MMS relay is a thing. The big reason why it was such a big deal back when was because Mac and iPad users could receive and reply to your messages from their non-phone devices. Since the iPhone will relay the SMS/MMS to those devices now, it's not as critical to "be on iMessage."

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
If you want a great default texting experience on Android you pretty much have to Get a Samsung or LG phone. Their Stock SMS clients (especially Samsung's) lets you send a ton of different types of data over MMS and it does not compress images or video as aggressively as i.e. HTC's.

iMessage doesn't matter as much as it did in the past since iOS/OS X SMS/MMS relay is a thing. The big reason why it was such a big deal back when was because Mac and iPad users could receive and reply to your messages from their non-phone devices. Since the iPhone will relay the SMS/MMS to those devices now, it's not as critical to "be on iMessage."

When did this change? Because my Note 4 compressed videos and reduced the quality of pictures when sending through SMS. And I have always used the stock messaging app. It has made iMessage a huge deal. When I can send a 1080p video shot at 60 FPS to someone with an iPhone and it the quality isn't reduced, that's a big win. If Android could figure out how to address this, I would definitely think about switching back. But until then I can't. Unless my family and friends switch to Android too.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
When did this change? Because my Note 4 compressed videos and reduced the quality of pictures when sending through SMS. And I have always used the stock messaging app. It has made iMessage a huge deal. When I can send a 1080p video shot at 60 FPS to someone with an iPhone and it the quality isn't reduced, that's a big win. If Android could figure out how to address this, I would definitely think about switching back. But until then I can't. Unless my family and friends switch to Android too.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

You're wrong.

iMessage downscales 1080p video to 720p. You can easily test this by taking a video and messaging it to yourself via iMessage. I just did so myself, over WiFi (so no use testing over Cellular, as it will result in the same thing), the video was recorded as 1080p with 30 FPS. iMessage downscaled the video to 720p. Try it. You can run similar tests on Android devices by simply sending Photos and Videos to your own Phone Number and saving the "received" version and inspecting the properties (Resolution, Bitrate, Frames/Sec, Codec, etc.).

Photos are not downscaled.

The video looks good on your phone screen because it's a tiny HD/FHD screen, but the difference in quality is noticeable on a real computer screen, like any FHD Notebook PC and especially something like a 21.5" iMac Screen.

If you have an iPhone 6 then that's likely the reason why you didn't notice it. The difference is a "little" less obvious on a smaller, lower resolution display (there is less upscaling from 720p on the iPhone 6 display compared to the 6 Plus's FHD display).

Apple does a lot of media transcoding in their software - they just NEVER tell your about it. While an MMS client on Android will say "Compressing Content," Apple simply does it automatically in the background, and never lets you know it's happening.

Android MMS Clients, at least on my Samsung devices, have been sharing Photos and Videos at a resolution at least comparable to WhatsApp for quite a while now. It's simply not that big of a deal, TBH.

Info from a 3 Second 1080p 30FPS video I iMessaged myself:

Size: 711 KB
Dimensions: 720 X 1280
CODECS: AAC, H.264
Color Profile: HD (1-1-1)
Duration: 00:03
Audio Channels: 1
Encoding Software: 8.4.1
Where From: [Redacted Phone Number], Received via Messages file transfer

Here is the info for the original video in Photos:

Size: 5.6MB
Resolution: 1080 X 1920
CODEC: H.264
Frames: 30 FPS

If I drag the video out of Photos to my desktop:

Size: 2.4MB
Dimensions: 720 X 1280
Codecs: AAC, H.264
Color Profile: HD (1-1-1)
Audio Channels: 1

The only way to share the original is via a third party messaging service, via email Attachment... On a Mac I have to go to iCloud.com to get the original video. If I share from Photos or Drag it out of Photos, it will downscale the video to 720 and I'll end up using or sharing the downscaled version.

It's part of the reason why I went back to iPhoto from Photos.

The best you can get from that 1080p video with iMessage is a 720p 60FPS video, but as you can see from the above, the amount of compression iOS applies to the video is significant. It basically reduced the size of the video in resolution from 1080p to 720p, and decreased the size by 5.6MB to 711KB - which is kind of massive :p

Last edited: