Pretty much sold on the 6 plus, but..

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
To answer your initial questions: 1) It's not too big for me or my wife who is only 5'3" and is small. She isn't stuffing it in her front pocket like I do but she manages with it and you couldn't make her switch to a smaller phone now. 2) I don't see the bending issue. Use common sense and you won't bend any of your phones. 3) I honestly am not qualified to answer this, but I have never seen a problem with my phone at all. It's great.

As far as the 6 plus vs Note 4 debate, I have been there and done that. I have had every phone imaginable and bounced around way too much. When my upgrade came up in November I said I would pick a phone based on my need and not what "cool" things it could do. Those cool things wear off and you end up doing the same basic things on a phone regardless of it being an iPhone, Note or whatever. I made a list of those functions that really mattered. Then I asked myself what phone I thought did each of those the best. In most cases it was the iPhone. Without the availability of the big screen on the 6 plus my answer probably would have been different even though I still prefer the way iOS does certain things. I really like having the big screen. With the 6 Plus, I get both the big screen and all the features that I want for daily use.

That is my situation. You have to figure that out for yourself. Make a choice and give it a chance. If all you do is chase the next thing coming out you will never be satisfied and unless you have unlimited income you will be broke too.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Another thing that bugs me about iPhone is pricing. It's kinda my same complaint about macs. Not everyone can afford a 800 dollar iPhone, just like not everyone can afford a 1500 dollar Mac. And if a person can only afford a 500 dollar or less phone and a 800 dollar or less computer, they have no choice but to go with android or windows. And those options at the price are pretty good these days.

Maybe you wouldn't be in the position of having to spend full retail on iPhones if you wouldn't put yourself in a position where you're using your carrier subsidy to pay off an HTC One M8 that you bought when the iPhone 6 and Plus launched. That's the phone you said you purchased in one of your other threads.

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Another thing that bugs me about iPhone is pricing. It's kinda my same complaint about macs. Not everyone can afford a 800 dollar iPhone, just like not everyone can afford a 1500 dollar Mac. And if a person can only afford a 500 dollar or less phone and a 800 dollar or less computer, they have no choice but to go with android or windows. And those options at the price are pretty good these days.

They could always buy an older iPhone. They can buy the iPhone 5C for pretty cheap or the the iPhone 5S and if they get them on contract they are paying next to nothing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
To answer your initial questions: 1) It's not too big for me or my wife who is only 5'3" and is small. She isn't stuffing it in her front pocket like I do but she manages with it and you couldn't make her switch to a smaller phone now. 2) I don't see the bending issue. Use common sense and you won't bend any of your phones. 3) I honestly am not qualified to answer this, but I have never seen a problem with my phone at all. It's great.

As far as the 6 plus vs Note 4 debate, I have been there and done that. I have had every phone imaginable and bounced around way too much. When my upgrade came up in November I said I would pick a phone based on my need and not what "cool" things it could do. Those cool things wear off and you end up doing the same basic things on a phone regardless of it being an iPhone, Note or whatever. I made a list of those functions that really mattered. Then I asked myself what phone I thought did each of those the best. In most cases it was the iPhone. Without the availability of the big screen on the 6 plus my answer probably would have been different even though I still prefer the way iOS does certain things. I really like having the big screen. With the 6 Plus, I get both the big screen and all the features that I want for daily use.

That is my situation. You have to figure that out for yourself. Make a choice and give it a chance. If all you do is chase the next thing coming out you will never be satisfied and unless you have unlimited income you will be broke too.

Well, my phone really is my primary computing device. It's where I do most my web browsing, email, and things like that which I used to use a desktop computer for. It's also where I watch a lot of video and do mobile gaming.

I think I do prioritize battery life, OS updates (I don't want to wait 4 months to get the latest OS), and performance (I don't like lag or unresponsiveness)

I know that the iPhone 6 plus does well in those areas, while the note 4 I think could struggle with OS update speed and maybe UI performance. But I do like its screen more and I think a removable back would be useful. Also, part of me kinda just wants to try something different than iPhone. I find the software of iOS getting a bit stale. But I'm not exactly unhappy with it.

Personally I still found iOS a bit smoother, particularly in games. I'm not sure what it is, but there's less input lag and it just seems a bit smoother. Maybe it'll be better on the note 4, but it's just something I noticed on every android I've used.

The update thing is still a major annoyance with android. I think it's rediculous that unless you get a nexus or Motorola device you really don't know when (or even if) you'll get the latest software fix or OS update.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site

That's exactly what I'm going through in deciding between getting a 6 Plus or a Note 4. I'm very invested in Google and all of their services. Plus I have probably at least $100+ in paid apps on Android. Also, I have about 15 movies that I have purchased or acquired from Google and I'm an All Access Music subscriber. This investment is what is holding me back a bit. I also have a Nexus Player, Roku 3, Chromecast, but no Apple TV. I know I can get my movies and music on an iPhone, but it's not as seamless. I can't get all those apps that I've bought, though. And to top it off, I have around $85 sitting in the Google Play Store as we speak. So I'm trying to decide if looking past those issues is what I should do. Typically, I use my phone for calls, texts, email, calendar, social media, blogs, news, games, videos, and music. I can do all of those things on either platform, but iOS does most of it easier and in some ways better. It's just that I would end up having quite a bit invested in both Android/Google and iOS/Apple.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Also, since I use a PC at home, and in many ways prefer that due to gaming, I want something that will work well with that setup. I also own a chromecast, rocku 3, but also a Apple TV and iPad 4. I'm kinda in both camps here and it's a bit of a headache.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
About the only thing you mention that would favor the Note 4 is the removal of the battery. I get such great battery life from my 6 Plus I honestly don't care about that like I used to. I carry a charge pack with me if I really needed it. In two months I needed it one time and that was a very unique situation.

Please don't take offense at this next statement, but I hope you have better things to do with your time than analyze phones to death. Pick one that will allow you to do what you need to do everyday. A phone is a tool to get other things done. Unless it's your job to analyze phones, pick one and get your work done or school or whatever you have going on. Your phone choice should compliment your needs that's all there is to it. You are way over thinking this. I wish you the best in your choice. You have all the info you need from us though. I think you just need to make a choice. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
I'd just like to mention again, the 14 day return policy with most carriers is a brilliant option. I use it often.
An idea would be to merely buy the device that you think you'd like to have\keep for the next two years, and test ALL features that you know you'd like to use day-to-day.

By at least the 7th-10th day, you'd have some indication of whether you'd like to keep the device, get a refund, or try another device.

Go...

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
About the only thing you mention that would favor the Note 4 is the removal of the battery. I get such great battery life from my 6 Plus I honestly don't care about that like I used to. I carry a charge pack with me if I really needed it. In two months I needed it one time and that was a very unique situation.

Please don't take offense at this next statement, but I hope you have better things to do with your time than analyze phones to death. Pick one that will allow you to do what you need to do everyday. A phone is a tool to get other things done. Unless it's your job to analyze phones, pick one and get your work done or school or whatever you have going on. Your phone choice should compliment your needs that's all there is to it. You are way over thinking this. I wish you the best in your choice. You have all the info you need from us though. I think you just need to make a choice. Good luck.

The problem is I'm really risk adverse. I try to think out how things will work with one another. Like how will the iPhone work with my other devices like PC, chromecast, roku, and etc. and how it may dictate future purchases (such as wether I feel my next computer may need to be a Mac just so I can get that integration with the iPhone. And if I then need to go all Apple from now on for other devices.)

But your right, given what I stated my needs are I do think a 6 plus would be better. I just hope I can continue to buy other non Apple products and it doesn't become a headache.

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
That's exactly what I'm going through in deciding between getting a 6 Plus or a Note 4. I'm very invested in Google and all of their services. Plus I have probably at least $100+ in paid apps on Android. Also, I have about 15 movies that I have purchased or acquired from Google and I'm an All Access Music subscriber. This investment is what is holding me back a bit. I also have a Nexus Player, Roku 3, Chromecast, but no Apple TV. I know I can get my movies and music on an iPhone, but it's not as seamless. I can't get all those apps that I've bought, though. And to top it off, I have around $85 sitting in the Google Play Store as we speak. So I'm trying to decide if looking past those issues is what I should do. Typically, I use my phone for calls, texts, email, calendar, social media, blogs, news, games, videos, and music. I can do all of those things on either platform, but iOS does most of it easier and in some ways better. It's just that I would end up having quite a bit invested in both Android/Google and iOS/Apple.

If I were you with all of the money and time that you have invested in the Google Play store and in the ecosystem, I would just go with the Note 4.

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Well, my phone really is my primary computing device. It's where I do most my web browsing, email, and things like that which I used to use a desktop computer for. It's also where I watch a lot of video and do mobile gaming.

I think I do prioritize battery life, OS updates (I don't want to wait 4 months to get the latest OS), and performance (I don't like lag or unresponsiveness)

I know that the iPhone 6 plus does well in those areas, while the note 4 I think could struggle with OS update speed and maybe UI performance. But I do like its screen more and I think a removable back would be useful. Also, part of me kinda just wants to try something different than iPhone. I find the software of iOS getting a bit stale. But I'm not exactly unhappy with it.

Personally I still found iOS a bit smoother, particularly in games. I'm not sure what it is, but there's less input lag and it just seems a bit smoother. Maybe it'll be better on the note 4, but it's just something I noticed on every android I've used.

The update thing is still a major annoyance with android. I think it's rediculous that unless you get a nexus or Motorola device you really don't know when (or even if) you'll get the latest software fix or OS update.

If I could offer a suggestion, I would go for the iPhone 6 Plus. Yes, iOS looks stale to you because you are used to using it. Android has the same effect after a while. In the end, it's going to be about the apps. And you are right, the apps on iOS seem to be more polished and deliver better performance. The other things that you mentioned also makes the iPhone a clear choice. Fast updates, smooth UI, responsiveness. All of those things are advantages of iOS.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
The problem is I'm really risk adverse. I try to think out how things will work with one another. Like how will the iPhone work with my other devices like PC, chromecast, roku, and etc. and how it may dictate future purchases (such as wether I feel my next computer may need to be a Mac just so I can get that integration with the iPhone. And if I then need to go all Apple from now on for other devices.)

But your right, given what I stated my needs are I do think a 6 plus would be better. I just hope I can continue to buy other non Apple products and it doesn't become a headache.

I own all PC's and have no more issues than when I have an android phone. I'm sure I would benefit from a Mac but I don't suffer any more with the PC than I do if I had an android phone. I think based on what you mentioned that you would like the 6 Plus. Just don't keep looking at the "special" things another phone does and wishing you had that. It's not worth the headaches that come with it. Get what takes care of your needs and be done with it and enjoy what you have.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
If I were you with all of the money and time that you have invested in the Google Play store and in the ecosystem, I would just go with the Note 4.

That definitely seems like the logical choice given that, doesn't it? However, I'm still wooed by iOS and have been for a number of years. There's something elegant about it. Something smooth. And sometimes using an Android device does become a headache. At this stage in my life, I'd like to avoid an added headache. I get enough of them at work. And for what I do with a phone, like I said earlier, an iPhone probably does it just as well, if not better than an Android phone for me.

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
That definitely seems like the logical choice given that, doesn't it? However, I'm still wooed by iOS and have been for a number of years. There's something elegant about it. Something smooth. And sometimes using an Android device does become a headache. At this stage in my life, I'd like to avoid an added headache. I get enough of them at work. And for what I do with a phone, like I said earlier, an iPhone probably does it just as well, if not better than an Android phone for me.

I agree with you. But that means that you are going to have to sacrifice some content. As far as the Google services, those work fine on the iPhone. But you will have to re-invest in that content on iTunes and the App Store.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I agree with you. But that means that you are going to have to sacrifice some content. As far as the Google services, those work fine on the iPhone. But you will have to re-invest in that content on iTunes and the App Store.

Well, I would be able to download the Google Play Movies using that app on iOS (can't purchase them on the iOS app, if I remember correctly, however). I also can continue to use Google Play Music and my All Access, and can even download playlists. Neither one is as seamless as it is on Android, but it is possible. The apps I would have to either re-purchase or just look for a free alternative. Most of them are games, but there are some other ones that I would need frequently. And there's the issue with not having $85 just sitting in my store account.

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Well, I would be able to download the Google Play Movies using that app on iOS (can't purchase them on the iOS app, if I remember correctly, however). I also can continue to use Google Play Music and my All Access, and can even download playlists. Neither one is as seamless as it is on Android, but it is possible. The apps I would have to either re-purchase or just look for a free alternative. Most of them are games, but there are some other ones that I would need frequently. And there's the issue with not having $85 just sitting in my store account.

Can't you still buy more movies with the money? I look at the movies I have on Google Play movies through YouTube. They show up as purchased.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

If you have the loot you can get whatever you want. All brands of devices if you want.
Me personally I have no interest in Windows or Android.
When I get a new device mobile or computer I need as little down time as possible. Buying a new Mac would just be plugging it in and loading a few programs. A new phone just setting up from a iCloud backup or iTunes back up. For me that's zero headaches.
Sometimes I have to use my MacBook Air to play music I have to learn. It a simple matter of AirPlay through my TV or plugging a thunderbolt cable into it to run through my studio speakers.
So for me it's not one platform is better than another it's keeping a uninterrupted flow.
Even for entertainment. If got a new Mac I just plug in my external with my iTunes movies and I'm ready to go. And of course whatever Mac I get its going to flow with my iPhone.

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
If you have the loot you can get whatever you want. All brands of devices if you want.
Me personally I have no interest in Windows or Android.
When I get a new device mobile or computer I need as little down time as possible. Buying a new Mac would just be plugging it in and loading a few programs. A new phone just setting up from a iCloud backup or iTunes back up. For me that's zero headaches.
Sometimes I have to use my MacBook Air to play music I have to learn. It a simple matter of AirPlay through my TV or plugging a thunderbolt cable into it to run through my studio speakers.
So for me it's not one platform is better than another it's keeping a uninterrupted flow.
Even for entertainment. If got a new Mac I just plug in my external with my iTunes movies and I'm ready to go. And of course whatever Mac I get its going to flow with my iPhone.

I believe many iOS users are like you. It's about continuity. They feel like if it isn't broken then why try and find a fix. I somewhat agree with that as well. It can be a pain in the **** switching operating systems and managing everything.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Can't you still buy more movies with the money? I look at the movies I have on Google Play movies through YouTube. They show up as purchased.

Yeah I can. I just don't think I could buy them through the iOS app. I think I'd have to go through the web. So it is a little bit of a hindrance.

Status
Not open for further replies.