In regard to the iPhone 6 Plus, is 16 GBs enough storage?

21stNow

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
No, you clearly realized how asinine your original retort was and you are trying to back out without publicly accepting it. It's ok, when people read it, I think it's very clear who wasn't making any sense at all.

No, I stand by all of my points. You have contradicted yourself so much at this point that you don't make any sense:

"People should stop buying 16GB devices so they shy away from making them in the future"
and "I don't give two sh*ts what YOU buy or what ANY other person buys" Direct contradiction here.

"My post wasn't about your needs, it was about a historic precedence of higher amounts of storage as a base line (IE: the removal of the 8GB model for the 16GB model, without an increase in cost)." and " If people stopped buying the 16GB model with such frequency, history has shown us that Apple would replace it with a higher capacity entry level model"
then "understand that my original comment was in reflection of the quickly shrinking storage capacity on iPhones which goes along with the quickly growing OS...so that the entry level model (at the entry level price) is a higher storage version, which won't be made obsolete by a ever growing operating system" So did Apple stop making the 8GB model because people stopped buying them or because the OS took up too much room for an 8GB model? Here's a hint; the average consumer doesn't know a gigabyte from a megabyte.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
16 GB "can" be enough, but that will depend on your usage. Having said that, I highly recommend you try to get the 64 GB model, if at all possible. Four times the storage for an additional $100 is well worth it, in my opinion.

This.

Also, to be frank: If you can't afford a $846 device, then can you really afford a $746 device? I'm not sure if the OP is buying on contract or not. Maybe it's a $299 vs $399 ordeal, which I guess would make more sense to me (most people who bought off-contract either budgeted ahead of time specifically for the 64GB or simply had the disposable income to just get it without thinking).

Another option: Get the 64GB iPhone 6, which costs the same as a 16GB 6 Plus.

Why would you downgrade to a 32GB 5S when you can get a 64GB 6 for the same price as the 16GB 6 Plus that you can afford?

16GB going away has nothing to do with business users. Ideally, the base SKU *should* be 32GB and that's where most other OEMs are going (Samsung Note devices have been 32GB base since last generation, as have been HTC and LG devices, and Motorola's Droid Maxx, etc. devices).

Apple isn't going 32GB base because that would be enough for 95% of their customers and doing that would eliminate the higher SKU as a profit machine. A lot of people go for 64GB because it's a metric ton of storage for them and the difference between 16 and 64GB makes it a virtual no-brainer.

If 32GB was the base SKU, I doubt many people would have gone for the 64GB SKU (meaning they'd have bought the CHEAPER iPhone, with lower profit margins, not the higher one). They'd have lost a lot of money with that strategy.

Their strategy is brilliant, especially from a profitability standpoint. However, it does put consumers at a conundrum (especially those who require the bigger screen or better battery life of the 6 Plus, because that model already commands a $100 premium over the iPhone 6).

I bet 85% of the people on this forum with 64GB iPhones would have saved $100 if the base SKU was 32GB. I sure would have.

Businesses always buy the cheapest SKUs because they want to save money and what a corporate issued phone is used for almost never requires higher storage capacities. Apple isn't keeping the 16GB around for that. The 32GB would theoretically cost the same so it really makes no difference what schools or businesses use. They simply use the cheapest option and move on.

anon(279851)

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
A 16 GB iPhone 6 Plus is TRASH. There is no room to grow- even if you consider using cloud storage. It's just a matter of time before space will be an issue. Apple knew this and still discontinued offering the more logical starting level at 32gb. Greed is not a virtue.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
No, I stand by all of my points. You have contradicted yourself so much at this point that you don't make any sense:

"People should stop buying 16GB devices so they shy away from making them in the future"
and "I don't give two sh*ts what YOU buy or what ANY other person buys" Direct contradiction here.

"My post wasn't about your needs, it was about a historic precedence of higher amounts of storage as a base line (IE: the removal of the 8GB model for the 16GB model, without an increase in cost)." and " If people stopped buying the 16GB model with such frequency, history has shown us that Apple would replace it with a higher capacity entry level model"
then "understand that my original comment was in reflection of the quickly shrinking storage capacity on iPhones which goes along with the quickly growing OS...so that the entry level model (at the entry level price) is a higher storage version, which won't be made obsolete by a ever growing operating system" So did Apple stop making the 8GB model because people stopped buying them or because the OS took up too much room for an 8GB model? Here's a hint; the average consumer doesn't know a gigabyte from a megabyte.

Thought you were done? I'm thinking this conversation would be better had with the cat in your avatar.

I haven't contradicted myself once...perhaps you can point out an actual example of me contradicting myself?

The example you gave above was not a contradiction...I don't actually care what any consumer outside me and my wife purchase, what my post WAS in fact was a simple observation based on historic precedence. The 8GB model was quickly becoming obsolete, and people were going for the 16GB model vs. 8GB model (sales reflect this as the 8GB model was singing it's swan song on ALL devices, not just the iPhone). So to answer your question, it was BOTH reasons why the 8GB model was eliminated...the OS took too much room, which made people desire the larger capacity size.

You're literally trying to start an argument out of nothing...you have been since the first response you had. You clearly see what my point was here as it was presented concisely...yet you're still making this about me telling individuals what to buy. You're thinking way too narrowly. It was a broad statement in the spirit of getting consumers a larger capacity phone for the same price they're paying for the 16GB (something you already admitted you'd happily do).

Consumers are already seeing my point of view clearly...searching google for 16GB iPhone yields result after result of people finding the very real limitation of such a small storage capacity with an ever growing OS. You represent a very small niche of consumer who is still ok with 16GB...given your left over capacity, you obviously don't store much on your device, which is not the norm. You will see, within the next couple of generations of devices, that the 16GB model will be dropped, and it will be dropped in light of exactly what I'm talking about here.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I bet 85% of the people on this forum with 64GB iPhones would have saved $100 if the base SKU was 32GB. I sure would have.

But then one could argue they would move more units with the 32GB option because of the optimal consumer desire option...thus making more money. I have no proof of this at all, just theoretical mumbo jumbo, but it would make sense to me that if an optimal option existed, the attraction would probably off set the lost margin of sales you spoke on when a consumer has to make that higher price choice between 16GB and 64GB.

To answer your question though, I think I would definitely go with the 32GB model if it were an option.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I've personally observed myself in the last couple of years of having utilized my storage space each time I go up a notch on capacity.

I ended up with a 128GB 6 Plus from ordering on launch night because the model and color I wanted was no longer available at 64GB for immediate shipping. That was the only compromise I would make if I wanted the phone on launch day.

Fast forward a few weeks later when I bought my iPhone 6 and 64GB was just not going to be enough after a year of the 5S in 64GB.

I think it kind of sucks that the mid to last level of these phones double in capacity but the first to second more than doubles.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
But then one could argue they would move more units with the 32GB option because of the optimal consumer desire option...thus making more money. I have no proof of this at all, just theoretical mumbo jumbo, but it would make sense to me that if an optimal option existed, the attraction would probably off set the lost margin of sales you spoke on when a consumer has to make that higher price choice between 16GB and 64GB.

To answer your question though, I think I would definitely go with the 32GB model if it were an option.

No.

In the scenario I'm discussing, the cheaper 16GB base option would have been replaced with a 32GB base option, at the same price as a 16GB SKU.

In that scenario, they lose a ton of money, because people pay for the 32GB device (which would be the same as the current 16GB devices) instead of going to the 64GB device, since 32GB is enough for 90% of consumers, but 16GB isn't.

The reason why the 64GB sells so well is because the 16GB is too small for a lot of people these days. If they had gotten rid of the 16GB SKU and moved to 36/64/128GB SKUs instead (of 16/64/128 GB SKUs), how do you figure they would make more money compared to the strategy they actually employed?

The whole reason why they kept the 16GB as the base was because they knew a ton of people would skip it and get the larger SKU, and thus give them more profits, especially give how big the storage jump is (making it a no-brainer).

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
You're not telling me anything I don't know.

What I was theorizing was that the 32GB, being the perfect size option, could potentially draw more unit sales in, since people would find that optimal storage option immediately attractive, and would probably not consider (as much) other device options that give more storage varieties (or provide external storage options). Like I said, it's just a theory...no hard evidence or anything...just a thought that the optimal storage size may attract MORE people to the iPhone, which would move more units, and because it moved more units, perhaps covering the profits they'd lose from the removal of the formula you are discussing.

Essentially, instead of making the profit off the people jumping up in price for the 64GB model over the 16GB model...they'd move more units because of the optimized storage option, thus covering that profit loss with more units sold.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Consumers are already seeing my point of view clearly...searching google for 16GB iPhone yields result after result of people finding the very real limitation of such a small storage capacity with an ever growing OS. You represent a very small niche of consumer who is still ok with 16GB...given your left over capacity, you obviously don't store much on your device, which is not the norm. You will see, within the next couple of generations of devices, that the 16GB model will be dropped, and it will be dropped in light of exactly what I'm talking about here.

I pretty much agree with this. And they certainly need to drop it. My theory is that they're trying to move people to the higher SKU and get them on them and over-capped for a 32GB device before they drop the 16GB. That way, those people are less inclined to drop down in storage, but people who don't already have an iPhone are more inclined to migrate over since the base SKU will then present them with a better value proposition.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
You're not telling me anything I don't know.

What I was theorizing was that the 32GB, being the perfect size option, could potentially draw more unit sales in, since people would find that optimal storage option immediately attractive, and would probably not consider (as much) other device options that give more storage varieties (or provide external storage options). Like I said, it's just a theory...no hard evidence or anything...just a thought that the optimal storage size may attract MORE people to the iPhone, which would move more units, and because it moved more units, perhaps covering the profits they'd lose from the removal of the formula you are discussing.

Essentially, instead of making the profit off the people jumping up in price for the 64GB model over the 16GB model...they'd move more units because of the optimized storage option, thus covering that profit loss with more units sold.

I think most people coming to the iPhone do so because they generally just want an iPhone for whatever reason, not because it's a good deal. The device already has a pretty well known reputation for being unreasonably expensive (that's the perception many people have), so they typically come prepared to pay a premium.

So I understand where you're coming from, but I'm not sure it would increase sales that much. Not enough to be comparable to the amount of 16GB device users that went 64GB because of how good a deal that was (considering how Apple traditionally SKU'd the storage and how much they charge for storage upgrades).

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Perhaps...I guess we'll see what they decide to do when they do ultimately get rid of the 16GB option (which will be soon in my opinion). I think they'd really shake up the market if they followed their recent trend of "freebies" (IE: OSX upgrades) and released the 64GB as the baseline, placing it in the entry level cost bracket (or maybe negligibly increasing the cost by $50 or something).

I know that doesn't really make business sense as far as their current successful profit formula goes...but I believe the influx of new customers would be significant. Plus, I could pay less for the storage point I'm content with, which is always a good thing, lol.

selena650

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I would not encourage either but the OP has made her decision and she's now got an awesome 6 Plus. So what we need to do now is to offer tips and tricks on how to manage the storage she's got.

I know that one of the things I do is to perform frequent backups. I also keep my Inbox and Messages as clean as possible. Delete old stuff.

Anyone else have any helpful tips and tricks?

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6
I don't keep no videos, music, photos, and game apps on the phone. I have most of the apps I want and have 6.7gb Left. My ipad mini 64gb is mostly for entertainment and game purposes. 16gb I found is perfect. 64gb would have been an overkill for my iphone, that would have made me download more apps then I need.

selena650

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I traded in my nexus 5 for the iphone 6 plus... I don't buy phones, I Trade in or wait 2 yrs until they are paid off. My phone is pretty much all apps... I only do updates.

selena650

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
5695d3f520364123638b8ed4d211ea45.jpg

This is how much stuff I have on my phone

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
This is how much stuff I have on my phone

You are a very minimalistic user...and still only have 6.8GB of storage left. A few videos and pictures later, you're flirting with a low storage warning.

Something your settings kind of make me think about now though...would you buy this device if they released it as a "12GB" model instead of 16GB? Because honestly, that's what you're getting. Looking at the same post-OS storage numbers on the other options, they don't see quite as bad, but the 16GB one is kind of shocking for whatever reason.

selena650

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
You are a very minimalistic user...and still only have 6.8GB of storage left. A few videos and pictures later, you're flirting with a low storage warning.

Something your settings kind of make me think about now though...would you buy this device if they released it as a "12GB" model instead of 16GB? Because honestly, that's what you're getting. Looking at the same post-OS storage numbers on the other options, they don't see quite as bad, but the 16GB one is kind of shocking for whatever reason.
I guess so... I just rather have applications on my phone. I did have photos on it and I put it into a storage account and delete them off my phone. I have an ipad mini which is the same thing... If I didn't have a ipad then I would have went with the 64gb or the 128gb iphone.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner