In regard to the iPhone 6 Plus, is 16 GBs enough storage?

Ariel Babalao

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I mean, 16gb force you to only have what you really need and use often. It helps you to stay away from distraction. Sure at the beginning you will install this that apps, but soon enough you will realize you don't actually need them. Anyway, if you care about details, and want control over what's on your device, you can make it with 16gb or 32gb if too much. It's a phone after all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
You might be surprised to see how many people actually make do with the 16 gb iPhone. It's not that difficult if you don't put tons of music on it. I started with 12.6 gb on my iP 5. I have 141 downloaded apps, about 250 photos on the camera roll (most I upload to Box, Dropbox and OneDrive). But I don't have much music. I could have more. I have about 4 gb available. My Wife's 5c is 32 gb. She's only used 4 gb of storage. The biggest problem are the updates. Too many have to delete a bunch of stuff just to update. For that reason, the base should start at 32 gb. But even so, there would still be those with 128 gb who would need to delete stuff to update. LOL

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

That is my number one reason as to why I don't recommend any device that is 16GB. If the OTA are updates are meant to not have to be tethered to a computer and the updates are getting bigger and bigger, it is an absolute PITA to have to delete and prioritize things just to get an update and have to re-install apps and such.

shief24

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm okay with 16gb. It is enough for me a I tend to use steaming and cloud services. When I take a lot of photos I offload them to dropbox and iPhoto. I've always been fine with 16gb but who knows what the future holds. Since you can't afford higher then go with the 16gb and forget the note 4.

F0REVERY0UNG-

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
I feel like 16GB can work if you have unlimited data, I happen to have unlimited, so 16GB works for me.

I would never spend $100 extra for more storage, I simply use iTunes Match, Spotify, Netflix, HBO GO, Hulu Plus ect.

I've in total used 5.1 GB and I have 51 non system apps, about 50 photos (I store most of them in the cloud too), and two audiobooks.

I think this all comes down to the user though because my brother wouldn't be able to make it with anything less than 32 GB, while I struggle to fill up even a fourth of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21stNow

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
If apple made the 32GB at the same price of the present 16GB, there's no need for that...

But Apple didn't make the 32GB the same price as the 16GB version; they didn't make a 32GB iPhone 6 Plus at all. In order to fulfill Sean's request, I will need the $100-$200 to upgrade my storage just to make him happy.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
But Apple didn't make the 32GB the same price as the 16GB version; they didn't make a 32GB iPhone 6 Plus at all. In order to fulfill Sean's request, I will need the $100-$200 to upgrade my storage just to make him happy.

He meant if they had made the base phone the 32 gb, rather than the 16 gb, the 32 gb would be $199.99 on contract. So you would not have paid more.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I would be able to wait. I just think the phone isn't worth and extra $100. It's worth the extra storage, sure... but if the specs of the phone were greater than I would pay that. My iPad mini has tons of apps on it and I bring it everywhere. I'm going to my carriers store today and try out the 6 plus

I bought a 16G iPad. I regretted it almost immediately.

If you're on a budget, and we ALL are these days aren't we, I would really suggest hanging on two more months, add 25 bucks to your phone budget every two weeks and getting the 32G iPhone 6 Plus. Honestly.

Right now I'm taking this approach in saving for my first MacBook Pro. I'm putting money away every paycheck. So every two weeks I add to my fund. Assuming my current laptop doesn't die on me I will be able to get myself my dream MacBook Pro by Christmas, maxed out on storage, RAM and speed. So it will be future proof.

I'd really suggest going for the larger storage on the iPhone 6 Plus.

21stNow

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
He meant if they had made the base phone the 32 gb, rather than the 16 gb, the 32 gb would be $199.99 on contract. So you would not have paid more.

I get what KCH was saying, but my original response was to Sean who said that people should stop buying 16GB phones. That is the capacity that suits my needs. If he wants me to buy something more expensive just to support a cause, I'm asking him to put his money where his mouth is.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Do you need my GMail address so that you know where to send the extra $100 or $200 for me to support your cause instead of my needs?

Why would I pay for you to enjoy a luxury item? We aren't talking necessities here, and my opinion stands...as the years go on, 16GB quickly becomes obsolete to anyone outside of those who must have that size because of financial reasons. Eventually, when the OS takes HALF the usable onboard storage (like it does on some other manufacturers phones), people will migrate. I just think consumers could sway the market and make the carriers introduce higher capacity entry models, and maybe even do as Apple has done before where they adjust pricing accordingly as well for the benefit of the consumer.

I get what KCH was saying, but my original response was to Sean who said that people should stop buying 16GB phones. That is the capacity that suits my needs. If he wants me to buy something more expensive just to support a cause, I'm asking him to put his money where his mouth is.

This is a terrible argument, lol. It's like a person who can't afford a smart phone PERIOD telling me to put my money where my mouth is for supporting the further development of smart phones. I'm sure 4GB suited someone's needs that couldn't afford to move up in the storage hierarchy...thankfully those people were a very tiny sample size, and we moved on to what we have today, which will hopefully eliminate the soon to be obsolete 16GB size.

Don't get bitter with me because of your financial choices. My comments had nothing to do with limiting people who could only afford the 16GB model...it had to do with the idea that, as we've seen historically, Apple would release a larger capacity entry model without touching the pricing point, or if they did touch it, it would be a very negligible increase in the scheme of things.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm planning on getting the iPhone 6 plus in 16gb but I don't know it it would be enough storage. I can't afford anything higher. I put all my stuff on the cloud and I stream my media. I would mostly use it for apps. Lots of apps. No games on it since I have the 64GB iPad mini 2. I was thinking of getting the galaxy note 4 since what's the point in having the iPhone 6 plus if I have an iPad mini. But yeah would 16gb would be enough for just apps? How much apps can I hold. I understand that I will have 12.2GB out of the box.

Depends how many apps you have. Not to mention the apps are only getting larger, so 16gb may be good for now, but down the road may not be the case. If i were you, I would wait, and save up a little longer so you can get 64gb so that way you don't have any regrets if you do by some means need more storage than the 16gb.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm planning on getting the iPhone 6 plus in 16gb but I don't know it it would be enough storage. I can't afford anything higher. I put all my stuff on the cloud and I stream my media. I would mostly use it for apps. Lots of apps. No games on it since I have the 64GB iPad mini 2. I was thinking of getting the galaxy note 4 since what's the point in having the iPhone 6 plus if I have an iPad mini. But yeah would 16gb would be enough for just apps? How much apps can I hold. I understand that I will have 12.2GB out of the box.

Just get the 64GB iPhone 6. It's the same price as the 16GB iPhone 6 plus.

jakdillard

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
16GB quickly becomes obsolete to anyone outside of those who must have that size because of financial reasons.

Don't get bitter with me because of your financial choices. My comments had nothing to do with limiting people who could only afford the 16GB model

I know this comment was directed at someone specifically, but as as person who has had a 64gb as well as a 128gb I choose to "downgrade" back to 16gb because of my own personal usage not financial obligation.

I think that is funny because of the "social class hierarchy " that get associated with the type of iPhone you have as well as the capacity of it. Think of it as "They have a 16gb so they can't afford anything higher." or "64gb huh I have the 128gb gold 6+ because I had to have the top specs and the highest capacity, I can't do anything lower than 128gb because 64gb is not enough for me and 16gb is just unheard of." How many times have you read a post like that? Its even funnier because when you look at the back of the newer iPhones the storage capacity is not on there anymore, so you can't tell whether someone has a 1 gb iPhone let alone a 512gb iPhone.

So I guess maybe its true there may be some people that feel like they can't afford a larger capacity iPhone so they get the base model, but its also true that there are some businesses that only require their employees use base models.

However there's also the consumer like myself who just loves tech (especially the newest tech) who will just buy the next refresh anyway so size really doesn't matter.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I'd love to have the 64GB but since but because I typically use Craigslist I have to take what I can find

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
So I guess maybe its true there may be some people that feel like they can't afford a larger capacity iPhone so they get the base model, but its also true that there are some businesses that only require their employees use base models.

However there's also the consumer like myself who just loves tech (especially the newest tech) who will just buy the next refresh anyway so size really doesn't matter.

And that's why I was kind of taken aback by the person's retort to my comments...because my comments were seriously only in reflection to the shrinking of usable storage based on the ever expanding size of the OS. I know there are about a million various types of consumers, all with different needs, demands and limitations...and to me, the cost of the phone was not even in my thought process as I talked about getting rid of the 16GB, but truth be told, I don't think a tiny niche of consumer really has much pull on the manufacturing decisions of a company like Apple, which is why we don't have 8GB iPhone's anymore, which was, at one time, the most popular variant.

WH1T3H4T

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
... also, you'll actually only be getting roughly around 12GB of storage on the iPhone, ' out of the box.' So again, 16GB is pointless.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro