Dual iCloud backup

KingBuick

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone. Is it possible to restore from an iCloud backup on a new iPhone that is already being used by the same account?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm hoping to buy the 6 Plus on AT&T and keep my Verizon 5s. When I'd set up the 6 Plus I'd restore from an iCloud backup that my 5s has. Is this possible?

If it isn't then I'd get the Note 4 on AT&T instead.

KingBuick

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
It will work just fine. I'll PayPal you $5,000 if a backup of a 5S doesn't restore on a 6 Plus. I did the exact same thing when I got my 6 Plus.

The only thing that'd change would be a new phone number that I'd get with the AT&T phone. Everything else should carry over from the 5s.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
The only thing that'd change would be a new phone number that I'd get with the AT&T phone. Everything else should carry over from the 5s.
The new phone number would be established in the phone before the restore process...and the restore process can't change the phone number.

KingBuick

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
The new phone number would be established in the phone before the restore process...and the restore process can't change the phone number.

I see. So what you're saying is that the restore process makes the new phone the same as the old phone except that the numbers would change?

KingBuick

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
All it will do is add that new phone number to your iMessage Send & Receive list.

How would I do that? I only see in the message send and receive list settings the option to add an email address. If this works, does this mean that I won't have to go around telling all my contacts that my number has changed?

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
How would I do that? I only see in the message send and receive list settings the option to add an email address. If this works, does this mean that I won't have to go around telling all my contacts that my number has changed?

Toggle iMessage on and off and wait until "Waiting For Activation" is gone from under that toggle. You'll see that it will now show your new phone number and your old number as an option.

Note: When you toggle iMessage on and off, let it activate over cellular and not Wifi. For some reason it seems to activate faster.

Also, if you want your contacts to just continue to message you to your old number then just simply keep it check marked under "Send & Receive" and you won't have to mention anything to them.

KingBuick

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Toggle iMessage on and off and wait until "Waiting For Activation" is gone from under that toggle. You'll see that it will now show your new phone number and your old number as an option.

Note: When you toggle iMessage on and off, let it activate over cellular and not Wifi. For some reason it seems to activate faster.

Also, if you want your contacts to just continue to message you to your old number then just simply keep it check marked under "Send & Receive" and you won't have to mention anything to them.

Thank you. I'll try this out when I get the AT&T 6 Plus.

After I set up my new phone I'm planning on selling my 5s on Craigslist and pay the ETF to Verizon. Would this mean that my old number would disappear even if I have the new number set up for send and receive?

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
You need to deregister your old number while it's still activated.

https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage

Use that tool that Apple provides because it will require receiving an SMS message to that old number in order to deregister. If you don't want people to iMessage you to your old phone number anymore and want to give out your new phone number, you might as well just deregister the old one once you get your 6 Plus.

KingBuick

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
You need to deregister your old number while it's still activated.

https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage

Use that tool that Apple provides because it will require receiving an SMS message to that old number in order to deregister. If you don't want people to iMessage you to your old phone number anymore and want to give out your new phone number, you might as well just deregister the old one once you get your 6 Plus.

Great! Thank you for this information.

KingBuick

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Also, is there a way that I can transfer my current number to AT&T and still keep the 5s so that I can sell it on Craigslist when the information on the 5s is erased and set up as new? I'll be buying the phone at an Apple Retail Store so I hope that they can transfer my current number and keep the 5s so that I can sell it.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Also, is there a way that I can transfer my current number to AT&T and still keep the 5s so that I can sell it on Craigslist when the information on the 5s is erased and set up as new? I'll be buying the phone at an Apple Retail Store so I hope that they can transfer my current number and keep the 5s so that I can sell it.

Yes, when you open an account with AT&T you'll have the option to port your current phone number from Verizon. That way you won't have to worry about any of the iMessage chores.

KingBuick

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Yes, when you open an account with AT&T you'll have the option to port your current phone number from Verizon. That way you won't have to worry about any of the iMessage chores.

That sounds good. That way I can still sell the 5s on Craigslist after I've bought the AT&T 6 Plus, right? That is: there won't be any settings changes on the 6 Plus or penalties from VZW right away? I'll still be able to pay the ETF; they'll put it on my next Bill.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
That sounds good. That way I can still sell the 5s on Craigslist after I've bought the AT&T 6 Plus, right? That is: there won't be any settings changes on the 6 Plus or penalties from VZW right away? I'll still be able to pay the ETF; they'll put it on my next Bill.

Yeah. Once your number ports to AT&T that will automatically terminate service with Verizon. So you'll see the ETF on the next bill.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox