I purchased a full price AT&T 6+ about a week ago and Apple just released a SIM free version. Should I return my 6+ and get a SIM free one? If so, why?
    01-06-2015 08:34 PM
    I honestly don't see a reason to return it. It won't change anything besides a SIM card. No added features what's so ever

Sent from my iPhone 6plus using Tapatalk
    01-06-2015 08:37 PM
    I don't see a reason to return it either....unless there's some fancy feature we don't know about.
    01-06-2015 09:20 PM
    If you plan to travel to certain countries (I think that Italy and Japan are on the list), the SIM-free iPhone that was just released has four additional LTE bands that may benefit you over the AT&T iPhone 6 Plus. Other than that, just request a SIM unlock from AT&T since you paid full price for your phone if you just want an unlocked phone.
    01-06-2015 09:32 PM
    I purchased a full price AT&T 6+ about a week ago and Apple just released a SIM free version. Should I return my 6+ and get a SIM free one? If so, why?
    No reason you should because the phone you own now is already unlocked just like the "sim-free" version.
    01-07-2015 01:15 PM
    If I get a SIM free iPhone 6 Plus will it work on Verizon out the box? Like as a new Sim next to use that hasnt been activated?
    01-07-2015 04:26 PM
    If I get a SIM free iPhone 6 Plus will it work on Verizon out the box? Like as a new Sim next to use that hasnt been activated?
    Verizon will only activate a phone with their own SKU for the CDMA side.
    01-07-2015 04:32 PM
    If you have an att account and can easily unlock it for free, you are fine. And as someone stated above, there are a few band differences that only matter if you travel overseas. If you do travel check the bands in those countries.
    Otherwise, enjoy your iPhone!
    01-07-2015 05:24 PM
    No. Unless the att one is locked (which I don't think is the case with the US variants, at least verizons isn't) you really aren't gaining anything. Not to mention it is the same phone, no new or special features over the one you bought from att.
    01-07-2015 06:25 PM
    Verizon will only activate a phone with their own SKU for the CDMA side.

that isn't true. This is taken right from the apple site.
    "The unlocked iPhone includes all the features of iPhone but without a wireless contract commitment or a carrier installment plan. You can activate and use the unlocked iPhone on the supported wireless network of your choice, such as AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, or Sprint in the United States."

iPhone 6 - Buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus - Apple Store (U.S.)
    and click on where it says learn more about the unlocked iPhone.
    01-07-2015 06:28 PM
    that isn't true. This is taken right from the apple site.
    "The unlocked iPhone includes all the features of iPhone but without a wireless contract commitment or a carrier installment plan. You can activate and use the unlocked iPhone on the supported wireless network of your choice, such as AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, or Sprint in the United States."
    That's why I said the CDMA side of things. So if your voice call requires CDMA then you might not get a voice call.
    01-07-2015 06:30 PM
    That's why I said the CDMA side of things. So if your voice call requires CDMA then you might not get a voice call.
    It says right there you can activate it on Verizon. Wouldn't say you can activate it if you could only use data...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    01-07-2015 06:31 PM
    It says right there you can activate it on Verizon. Wouldn't say you can activate it if you could only use data...

Pop a Verizon sim into an unlocked iPhone that isn't in Verizon's SKU system and see if it works entirely. It won't.
    01-07-2015 06:33 PM
    Pop a Verizon sim into an unlocked iPhone that isn't in Verizon's SKU system and see if it works entirely. It won't.
    If you say so. There's all sorts of instances that showed it works. If that's the case Apple wouldn't advertise it as being able to, because imagine all the returns they got if they said it would work on Verizon, but won't. This isn't android, Apple rules the carriers and I'm sure all the iPhone's are in Verizon's system. At least the new sim free ones anyway.

01-07-2015 06:37 PM
    Take it back if you can still return it and get the SIM free iPhone. It will be worth MUCH more at resale time and be easy to use with any carrier.
    01-09-2015 11:30 AM
    Take it back if you can still return it and get the SIM free iPhone. It will be worth MUCH more at resale time and be easy to use with any carrier.
    But the one he has right now can also be used with any carrier, not just AT&T. He paid full price at the Apple Store which automatically makes the phone unlocked no matter if he bought it for AT&T.
    01-09-2015 01:55 PM
    But the one he has right now can also be used with any carrier, not just AT&T. He paid full price at the Apple Store which automatically makes the phone unlocked no matter if he bought it for AT&T.
    There IS a difference between these new, SIM free models and other models... these new ones have the frequency bands for use in China that other models do not... to say that these new models are one and the same as the previous models is simply false.
    21stNow likes this.
    01-09-2015 02:03 PM
    That may not be entirely true... a source I have at Verizon says things are changing... Caveat emptor...
    01-09-2015 02:05 PM
    There IS a difference between these new, SIM free models and other models... these new ones have the frequency bands for use in China that other models do not... to say that these new models are one and the same as the previous models is simply false.
    I was responding to the "different carrier" comment.

The model the OP has can also be used with any carrier.

If the OP really wants to waste his time and make the exchange because he might be able to sell the phone to someone who could use it in China in a year or two, by all means, go ahead.
    01-09-2015 02:06 PM
    For those interested. I did replace my full price ATT phone for the SIM free one for the below reasons:

1. Because I could
    2. I do travel to Asia and the extra bands can't hurt
    3. After researching everywhere, the sim free phone is the only one you can activate on Verizon without have an existing sim. Per Apple and Verizon.

Thanks for all the insight on this question.
    Premium1 and BreakingKayfabe like this.
    01-11-2015 07:27 AM
    I replaced my T-Mobile iPhone with a sim free because I was in the holiday return period and I wanted to see if there's any build quality difference, petty reasons I know but I guess at the end of the day i did it because I just f'ing wanted to.
    01-11-2015 08:12 AM