Restore an iPhone 6 plus from backed up iphone 6

giper54

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I have an iPhone 6 and have backed that phone up via iTunes. I just bought a used iphone 6 plus and I tried to restore that phone from the iPhone 6 back up but I get a "restore process failed message" when I turned on the iPhone 6 plus I started it as a new iPhone, set the plus as a new phone and then tried to restore from an my backed up iPhone 6. Is this what is causing my problem with restore from the iPhone 6?

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I know this doesn't solve the iTunes problem but have you tried backing up the iPhone 6 to iCloud and then restoring that backup on your 6 Plus through iCloud?

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Something makes me think that that backup is corrupted.

I'd agree, but it's already two backups. When he backed up to the cloud, it wouldn't copy from his iTunes. It'd create a new backup from the phone.

Do you have any other devices available?
Have you tried restoring that backup on the 6? Does that work?
If that works, have you tried making a backup of the 6+ and see if that can be restored on either device?

I remember when the 5 came out, there was a special iOS version specific to the 5. I haven't paid close attention to iOS upgrades lately. Is the 6+ on a latest version that is versioned slightly higher than the 6? As an example, 8.1.1 instead of 8.1.0.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I'd agree, but it's already two backups. When he backed up to the cloud, it wouldn't copy from his iTunes. It'd create a new backup from the phone.

I think there is something on the current OS he's running on his iPhone 6 that is corrupting his backup.

I'd try a couple of more things before I just give up:

1 - Try to do this on a different computer with iTunes

2 - Restore your iPhone 6 as new on iTunes and then restore the backup to the 6, backup the 6 again after that, and try to restore that backup on the 6 Plus.

If they don't work, there's not much else left to do. A corrupted backup is just what it is.

giper54

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I am having problems syncing songs to my iPod too. Do you think I should delete iTunes (it is the most current version) and re install iTunes again?

giper54

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I sold the phone (and no longer have it) and I was able to transfer my photos over which was my main concern. I did delete iTunes and re install which let me but my music back onto the iPod touch. My computer runs windows 7 and is over 6 years old so who knows what the problem was. I did try my iPod on my wife's computer and the back up failed too. Her computer is even old and in worse shape.