16GB for $225 or 64GB for $399?

Love Divine

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm buying one this afternoon, for Sprint. Due to walmart/Sams' sale, this is the dilemma I'm faced with. I can get both in Space Grey like I want. It doesn't seem like Sams/Walmart even has, let alone is discounting, the 64GB plus.

Normally I was all for the 64GB. On my HTC One, I was using 7.5GB in apps, about a gig of music, a gig of various downloads and 3.5gbs of camera photos/videos. I could cut out the gig of music and could frequently cloud/PC backup my photos. In other words - I could probably manage with 16GB although it would be troublesome, while 64GB would be an excess in which I'd never have to worry.

Which would you take in this scenario?

vjh425

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
64GB. While I can manage with 16GB and I have a 16GB now, I'm probably going to exchange it later today for a 64GB just so I have the extra storage in case I need it. So I'd recommend 64GB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Me personally and IMHO, I would go for the 64 GB one. I always say, better to have and not need, than need and not have.
When you have to start looking at what you can do away with to save space.
Then it's best to get the bigger storage. I have a 16GB 5C, and plan on getting the 64GB 6 plus.
Once you start adding movies, music, or photos.
The 16GB model will fill up fast, good luck with your choice.

Love Divine

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Again, it's all about convenience of never having to worry vs having to manage but still probably get by. It's the price difference that's really making me consider this decision - I had never really considered the 16GB before.

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
It all depends upon your needs, and what you like to keep on the device.
Lately I have been keeping my music, and photos on mine.
Between that, and the apps, it fills up fast.

Love Divine

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
All my music is on my Play Music account/use soundcloud, so I'd be good there. I'd take way more photos and videos on my phone though now that the camera isn't crap like my One's was. I need to examine how much of my app usage was stuff I actually use. But apps are getting bigger and bigger. Does a 16GB have about 13GB of storage out of the box?

I have 50GB on Box, 15GB or so on Drive and 75GB on dropbox, One Drive 30GB. And I'll be getting 5GB on iCould.

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Yes the 16 GB has a little more than 13 GB's of on board storage.
Videos take up a lot of space depending upon the size of the video.
I feel the same way about the camera.
You'll find the iPhone takes great pictures.
Everything I have is on the cloud, but I have been keeping my photos and music on my phone.
Google Drive gives you 15 GB, and
One drive with camera upload gives you 30GB.

Art H

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
The difference is less than $175? If that amount is a make or break for you than you shouldn't be buying the phone in the first place. It falls under the umbrella of "mentality of poverty". 16GB is a poor choice for anyone in my opinion. You are better off saving your money until you can afford the proper configuration. Make a good choice not a fast one.

Last edited:

shief24

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
If money is no issue go for the 64gb so you wont have to worry about it later. But honestly I'm getting by fine with a 16gb and I've always gotten 16gb models (unless the base is 32). I use iTunes match to have all my songs, I upload my photos to dropbox and I also let the iPhone save only the thumbnail until I need the picture, I don't play many games but I have about 3 pages of apps and delete the games when they bore me. I don't find it a hassle and don't consider it a bad decision. I have 3 gb left which is good for me.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I use a 16 gb iPhone 5. Had it for about 17 months. I have 4 gb available. But I don't have much music at all. I use Spotify, Tune In Radio and Radio Paradise for most of my music. Also a few stations on the music app. I have 140 downloaded apps. No huge game apps. I keep most photos and videos on Box,Dropbox and OneDrive. I keep about 200 photos on my camera roll. But I am about to upgrade to 64 gb iPhone 6 Plus in January. It's going to be a whole new world.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

raymaane

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
I went into the Sprint store Friday and they didn't currently have the 64GB. I almost grabbed the 16GB because I just wanted it. I decided to wait for it, because it's not worth the hassle to minimize my usage. I'd say get the bigger size!

Posted via the iMore App for Android

21stNow

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Does a 16GB have about 13GB of storage out of the box?

The 16GB iPhone 6 Plus has 11.7GB available out of the box. I use a 16GB and still have 9.3GB available. That said, I recognize that most people aren't like me in using their devices. It sounds like your current storage uses would use up the available space quite easily. If you plan to take more pictures, the 64GB may be the way for you to go. If it were me, I'd manage my usage for a $174 price difference though.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Never scrimp on storage. That'll only bite you later on. Do you really want to have to keep your eyes on the usage that frequently?

This. Get as much as you can afford. I think the 64gb is plenty for most people. Although My daughter insisted that 16gb is plenty for her. Who am I to argue? Saved me some money. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm buying one this afternoon, for Sprint. Due to walmart/Sams' sale, this is the dilemma I'm faced with. I can get both in Space Grey like I want. It doesn't seem like Sams/Walmart even has, let alone is discounting, the 64GB plus.

Normally I was all for the 64GB. On my HTC One, I was using 7.5GB in apps, about a gig of music, a gig of various downloads and 3.5gbs of camera photos/videos. I could cut out the gig of music and could frequently cloud/PC backup my photos. In other words - I could probably manage with 16GB although it would be troublesome, while 64GB would be an excess in which I'd never have to worry.

Which would you take in this scenario?
I would always go with the highest capacity possible.

Illustrator Joe

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
I don't know how anyone can get by nowadays with a 16GB device. I wouldn't even recommend an iPad 16GB even for minimal use.

In regards to tablets I always go for the smallest. 16gb is perfect for me. I literally only use my tablet for web and streaming music and TV/movies. I will be lucky to fill up 1/2 of the space. My phone on the other hand 64gb is the new minimum.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods