Just have a quick question, I searched for it but all the threads seem to be a couple years old, and technology is newer so thought I'd ask. Couldn't even find anything recent on Google search about this.

Anyways, does LTE drain your battery? Like if your in an area that doesn't have it? I usually keep it off due to the lack of coverage around my house, even though I'm always on wifi. I realized today that I have it at home now, so I kind of just want to leave it on but don't want to drain my battery. Just thought I'd get the opinion of those who always have it on and have since day one with the 6 plus. Thanks guys.
    12-14-2014 10:31 AM
    As far as I know, it is best to keep it on, as LTE/4G is more battery friedly than 3G. Having it enabled in an area without LTE coverage won't drain your battery any faster than usual.
    tattooed4515 likes this.
    12-14-2014 10:52 AM
    That's what I was thinking. Seems like it was a big battery drain when it first came out but technology has gotten better since.
    Tartarus likes this.
    12-14-2014 10:57 AM
    LTE's effect on battery life is really pretty negligible...where the big issue comes in is weak LTE networks switching between 4G/3G and LTE. That network change (and the search that comes with it both degrading and improving to and from LTE) can cause a HUGE battery drain, and was a big issue with many smart phones on the market when LTE was first implemented.
    12-14-2014 01:02 PM
    So as long as it isn't switching back and forth it's no big deal then? Even if I only have 2 bars//dots?

Also, please correct me if I'm wrong, but when on wifi it would have 0 effect even if it was switching back and forth, correct?
    12-14-2014 01:17 PM
    So as long as it isn't switching back and forth it's no big deal then? Even if I only have 2 bars//dots?

Also, please correct me if I'm wrong, but when on wifi it would have 0 effect even if it was switching back and forth, correct?
    When your device is connected to a WiFi network, that network supersedes the cellular network on all things except phone calls. When phone calls come in or go out, your cellular network is used, so even if you're in a WiFi network, the cellular connection can still have an effect, but it would only be during cellular connection (and this probably has nothing to do with your LTE connection since only a very limited and select market is using Voice over LTE right now, and most people still revert to 4G/3G for voice calls).

Your connection at 1 "dot" doesn't really tell a strong story...but I would say if it's that close to the connection cusp, you might want to keep an eye on it. It's very possible if your connection is that weak, you would be experiencing network changes if the cellular network couldn't find a consistent and strong signal to LTE.
    tattooed4515 likes this.
    12-14-2014 01:55 PM
    I've been watching it all day. It hasn't slipped off lte at all. I'm gonna experiment and watch it for a few days. I was just curious what every one else's experiences with it were.
    12-14-2014 02:00 PM
    I've been watching it all day. It hasn't slipped off lte at all. I'm gonna experiment and watch it for a few days. I was just curious what every one else's experiences with it were.
    Watching it really won't help you actually see the switch if it happens...you can, however, switch your signal bars to actual numerical read outs which would help you better see the clear difference between a legitimate connection to the LTE network and one that COULD be subject to network degradation. The thing is, your LTE connection might not revert to the lower tier data networks, but it might get what I consider "hiccups", where the network connection isn't optimal, so it looks to degrade, but instead just reconnects to LTE because it sees it there again (given how networks fluctuate very quickly sometimes, and 1 second could be really degraded and the next second could be perfectly usable).
    12-14-2014 02:10 PM
    Just have a quick question, I searched for it but all the threads seem to be a couple years old, and technology is newer so thought I'd ask. Couldn't even find anything recent on Google search about this.

Anyways, does LTE drain your battery? Like if your in an area that doesn't have it? I usually keep it off due to the lack of coverage around my house, even though I'm always on wifi. I realized today that I have it at home now, so I kind of just want to leave it on but don't want to drain my battery. Just thought I'd get the opinion of those who always have it on and have since day one with the 6 plus. Thanks guys.
    Among other things - not every carrier signal is as battery friendly as others... T-Mobile is at the top / Verizon at the bottom

Tests Show T-Mobile Smartphones Offer Most Battery Life
    12-14-2014 02:16 PM
    Among other things - not every carrier signal is as battery friendly as others... T-Mobile is at the top / Verizon at the bottom

Tests Show T-Mobile Smartphones Offer Most Battery Life
    Theoretical at best...this came from that specific article, basically saying they really don't know specifically why the battery life differences were occurring.

While we don’t know for certain why T-Mobile phones last longer on a charge, there are some strong possibilities. T-Mobile’s network could be more efficient at sending and receiving data because of the bands it uses, or maybe there are far fewer customers on its LTE network, easing the strain. Another possibility is that T-Mobile tends to pre-load less bloatware on its flagship devices relative to the other carriers.
    Notice the lack of iPhones in that test...probably because it showed a more uniform battery life amongst carriers, and pretty much leads more in the direction of bloatware being at fault vs. network differences.
    12-14-2014 02:28 PM
    Why is this stuff so difficult? Lol. I appreciate the input
    12-14-2014 03:26 PM
    Why is this stuff so difficult? Lol. I appreciate the input
    My input is only based on my own experiences, I don't ever disable wifi and LTE on my device. The battery drain will not change much. Even if it changes, it will be several minutes (maybe 10 max), so I myself don't see any need in disabling.
    tattooed4515 likes this.
    12-14-2014 03:29 PM