Those coming from Android: What do you miss?

HighTechToid

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
While I have acclimated to iOS rather easily there are a few areas of android I especially miss.

In no particular order:

Google Now and widget more useful on Android

Ability to set default apps.

Third party keyboards are awesome on android. Rather weak on iOS due to apple limitations.

Notification shade is a little smarter on android (imo) since it groups notifications together instead of showing a ton of updates from the same app as on iOS. Especially on the lockscreen.

Ticojpunk

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
Notifications are indeed better on Android. Also miss setting my defaults, though Android always had a habit of "forgetting" my defaults and was always asking me again after I thought I had already specified something.

I miss the Gmail app and the way it worked on Android. I could quickly delete unwanted emails from the notification pull down without ever needing to open the App. Also, the Gmail app on iOS frequently gets stuck refreshing when switching between multiple accounts. It never had an issue on Android.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daniel44

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm still working on configuring and finding useful apps, but so far, the biggest thing bugging me is the lock screen notification showing content of email or messages - I'd prefer just to see who a message is from.

I'm still looking for a replacement for "Quick Profiles" to easily change a number of settings at once - screen brightness, alerts and volume, etc.

I thought the lack of a 'back' button would bug me, but I've adapted pretty quickly.

Overall, I'm immensely pleased with the new phone - I came from a very low-end phone (Samsung Ace IIx) and was being driven mad by the laggy, unreliable performance of it, so yeah, I know anything would be an improvement!!

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm still working on configuring and finding useful apps, but so far, the biggest thing bugging me is the lock screen notification showing content of email or messages - I'd prefer just to see who a message is from.

Go to Settings > Notifications > Messages and turn off "Show Previews"

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for that, that should take care of texts, but my Gmail (using Gmail app) still shows the contents.

I don't have the gmail app installed but one option would be to go into the notification settings for that app and have it not turn the screen on. You could just rely on sound/vibration to let you know that you have new gmail available.

zrxoa1

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't have the gmail app installed but one option would be to go into the notification settings for that app and have it not turn the screen on. You could just rely on sound/vibration to let you know that you have new gmail available.

You can't do much from the app. But if you go into main notifications, you can turn off mail. I did this and now just get the buzz or ding but nothing on my notification screen.

xderiwx

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
I miss being able to clear cache/app data. Having to delete an app and then reinstall just to clear out caches when they grow huge is really hard to get used to.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

dimitrist

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
The only reason I have used android in the past was the fact it was running on bigger screens.
I got sick of the lag, the lock ups, the reboots, but i put up with it because I loved the bigger screen.
I always used an iPhone and I would swap back and forth with bigger devices.
Since the iPhone 6 plus I haven't looked back nor I am interested using any plasticky cheap looking laggy phones any longer.
I don't miss the widgets, or the back button at all, but after all I wasn't used to them in the first places as some folks might be.
I still have a note 4 sitting in its box for a few months now and I don't miss it at all, I will probably sell it because I don't see myself using it.

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
The only reason I have used android in the past was the fact it was running on bigger screens.
I got sick of the lag, the lock ups, the reboots, but i put up with it because I loved the bigger screen.
I always used an iPhone and I would swap back and forth with bigger devices.
Since the iPhone 6 plus I haven't looked back nor I am interested using any plasticky cheap looking laggy phones any longer.
I don't miss the widgets, or the back button at all, but after all I wasn't used to them in the first places as some folks might be.
I still have a note 4 sitting in its box for a few months now and I don't miss it at all, I will probably sell it because I don't see myself using it.

I too have a Note 4 in its box. I used it for about a month until 2 days ago when a got a 6+. My plan is to swap up every 30 days until this time next year.

OBF

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
SD card expandable storage. I can live without the removable battery but I could probably afford more an SD card than $100 more for a bigger storage size iPhone 6 Plus.

velvetelvis

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
I will tell you what I don't miss, fumbling around in the dark trying to plug my phone in. Loving the reversible lightning plug. But I do miss the notifications. Other than that... Nothing.

Beyond Fire

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I'll tell you what I don't miss on android as well and that is wishing I was back on iOS. Now that I'm back I'm here for good.

Sent from my Golden Apple Six

craftEcowgirl

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
I will tell you what I don't miss, fumbling around in the dark trying to plug my phone in. Loving the reversible lightning plug. But I do miss the notifications. Other than that... Nothing.

The long cord i bought with my iphone6plus has to be plugged in right side up (cant tell which is right side up) but other short cord doesnt. And only happens at home, other people have theirs work fine elsewhere??. Anyone know why the difference?.

brett_f

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
I still use both quite frequently. I have my 6 plus, and a Nexus 6. The primary thing I miss when being on Android is iMessage. I have a lot of friends and family on iOS, so iMessage is a big deal. Also, I'm afraid to enable iMessage even when using iOS because when I want to disable it again.. I get stuck in limbo and start missing texts from iOS users. :(

What I miss most from Android? Not being able to use my smartwatch. :) C'mon Apple Watch!! :)

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
I still use both quite frequently. I have my 6 plus, and a Nexus 6. The primary thing I miss when being on Android is iMessage. I have a lot of friends and family on iOS, so iMessage is a big deal. Also, I'm afraid to enable iMessage even when using iOS because when I want to disable it again.. I get stuck in limbo and start missing texts from iOS users. :(

What I miss most from Android? Not being able to use my smartwatch. :) C'mon Apple Watch!! :)

I felt the same way about iMessage until Apple released the iMessage removal tool.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR