Those coming from Android: What do you miss?

gdruin74

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
This one is annoying to me as well. I'd love to tell Siri to Navigate to... and have it launch Google Maps. I use the Google Now app to do this as a workaround.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can tell Siri "give me transit directions to" the place you want to go and you will get the option to use any navigation app. But unfortunately does not save as default.

Ticojpunk

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
You can tell Siri "give me transit directions to" the place you want to go and you will get the option to use any navigation app. But unfortunately does not save as default.

That is an excellent tip. Thank you. I do wish you could save it as default though like you mentioned.

21stNow

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Android is an OS, not a phone. A blinking LED and SD cards are not features of an OS. They are hardware features. This thread is about the Android OS, not phones.

You're arguing just for the sake of arguing here. I specifically said "Android phone" as I am aware that Android is an OS, not a device.

It doesn't matter if the features that were mentioned are features of the hardware or the software in this case because none of those features are features available on an iPhone.

zrxoa1

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I am having a tough time transitioning from long time android use.... Latest phone is a Nexus 5.

Main thing I miss is the BACK button.. Just seemed easier to me.

Don't get me wrong, I really like my 128gb 6 Plus. Just taking some getting used to.

sp44

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm using an Android phone that is ROM'd and it keeps asking me to select the default app. It never sticks!

My point being that you get an Android phone. Battery life stinks or it doesn't run smooth. Then you root and ROM it to make it better but by doing that you inherit other problems because of hacking the phone. Can't win with Android.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm using an Android phone that is ROM'd and it keeps asking me to select the default app. It never sticks!

My point being that you get an Android phone. Battery life stinks or it doesn't run smooth. Then you root and ROM it to make it better but by doing that you inherit other problems because of hacking the phone. Can't win with Android.

Some Android custom ROMs may have issues. In my experience the custom ROM developers are usually good about listing known issues, and are open to receiving feedback/issue reports.

I've used custom ROM's in the past and got even better battery life (days without needing a charge in some cases), stability, functionality, and performance. That was with a "known good" ROM from a trusted developer, and were debloated ROMs that didn't try to get fancy and add tons of bells and whistles; but rather improved upon the OEM's ROM by removing bloat and optimizing the system.

I miss the Notification system, local "My Documents" file system, and the sharing extents capabilities - among other features. iOS continues to get better with each release overall, but is still lacking in my opinion in areas like the Notification system.

I think you can win with stock non rooted/ROM'd Android - if the experience and ecosystem is for you. Once the root/ROM happens, a Pandora's box is opened, and depending upon the ROM chosen, experience and milage can vary greatly.

zrxoa1

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I will add that if my Nexus had already had 5.0 installed and all apps optimized, I probably would not have bought this iPhone.

It's a tough call. On the one hand, the battery life and storage on this 128gb 6 Plus is phenomenal. But I do miss Android system.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
If I missed anything about Android it'd be the Google integration being that I use several google services. But, I don't miss it enough to allow myself to fall back into the constant switching between Android devices to try them all out like I was doing before getting the current crop of iOS devices!!

Ticojpunk

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
Anything I am missing about Android is being made up for by what iOS brings to the table, and I'd miss just as much about iOS if I went back to Android. Two terrific platforms to feed our smartphone addictions. Brilliant!

substring

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I used to think I will miss the micro-SD card, but with 128GB of internal memory on my 6Plus, I am good on that. Besides, I have plenty of storage spaces on Google Drive and iCloud. The only thing I miss is the direct save of photos to my Google Drive. The iPhone does not allow me to do that for the obvious reason. I prefer to save my photos to Google Drive than iCloud because iCloud downgrade the photo quality in the storage. Beside this small inconvenience, I don't miss Android at all.

21stNow

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
I used to think I will miss the micro-SD card, but with 128GB of internal memory on my 6Plus, I am good on that. Besides, I have plenty of storage spaces on Google Drive and iCloud. The only thing I miss is the direct save of photos to my Google Drive. The iPhone does not allow me to do that for the obvious reason. I prefer to save my photos to Google Drive than iCloud because iCloud downgrade the photo quality in the storage. Beside this small inconvenience, I don't miss Android at all.

I'm not sure if you use Google Plus, but I do my automatic photo uploads via Google Plus rather than Drive. I'm not sure if this would work for your needs, though.

mlo22

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Nothing, I had one android & never looked back after coming to apple. I love the clean, sleekness of the devices, the customer support, updates..no going back to android or blackberry for me :)

substring

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure if you use Google Plus, but I do my automatic photo uploads via Google Plus rather than Drive. I'm not sure if this would work for your needs, though.

Thanks for the reply. I have G+ but I hardly use it. I prefer Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and Snapchat. :) Anyway, I don't want to upload automatically my photos to G+ because I may not want to share all of my photos to my Circles. My workaround is to copy the photos from Camera Roll to an SD card, then move them from the SD card to Google Drive for storage. Yes, it is one extra step, but it is more reliable and preserve the photo quality.

Hot94Z28

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I had a Note 2 and the bigger screen and swipe keyboard was only thing I missed till I got my 6+. I think a stylus would be nice coming from a note phone but I didn't use it a lot so it's not missed much.

Love Divine

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
So far I'm missing:

-Ability to easily set ringtones/notification tones

And that's about it. Guess my needs are met pretty well with iOS these days. I love the overall smoothness and polish it provides. Also, pretty much every single app I've used is noticeably better on iOS, save for the google ones (Maps being pretty much the only one I use).

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Hmmmmm, let's see...
The daily headache of having to check all my settings just to save battery life? Nope.
The force closings? Nope.
The lagging when scrolling? Nope.
The forced software updates that mess up everything and cripple my device? Nope.
The glitchy apps? Nope.

I don't miss a thing from Android. Hehe.

21stNow

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I have G+ but I hardly use it. I prefer Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and Snapchat. :) Anyway, I don't want to upload automatically my photos to G+ because I may not want to share all of my photos to my Circles. My workaround is to copy the photos from Camera Roll to an SD card, then move them from the SD card to Google Drive for storage. Yes, it is one extra step, but it is more reliable and preserve the photo quality.

I have my photos set to private, so the photos that I upload aren't shared with anyone until I do it manually.

21stNow

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
So far I'm missing:

-Ability to easily set ringtones/notification tones

And that's about it. Guess my needs are met pretty well with iOS these days. I love the overall smoothness and polish it provides. Also, pretty much every single app I've used is noticeably better on iOS, save for the google ones (Maps being pretty much the only one I use).

Glad to see that it's working out well for you! Merry Christmas.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro