Please help, no idea how to set up my new iPhone!

heathertrent

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
My iPhone 6 plus will be delivered Monday and I have no idea how to set it up. I currently have a Samsung Galaxy S4 with the Straight Talk bring your own SIM plan. I want to switch my new iPhone to that so my number doesn't change. Do I need to tell them I am changing phones or can I just move my SIM card to my iPhone before I set it up? I am very technology challenged, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Michelle

sicario666

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
You'll have to get a new SIM card. The s4 uses a mini and the iPhone needs a nano SIM. I hope that isn't an issue with your carrier. The SIM card carries the data plan and your number

53N7 9R0M M4 i6+

dcharleyultra

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
It seems your Samsung uses a micro SIM card. Your iPhone will use a nano SIM card.

I think you might have to get a Straight Talk nano SIM card for your iPhone.

Which carrier version of iPhone did you purchase, and will it be unlocked?

heathertrent

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
I ordered the T-Mobile unlocked 128gb phone. Can I just use a sim cutter from Amazon? If I do that can I just pop it in or do I need to contact Straight Talk first? Thank you for your help!

heathertrent

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
You should be able to use the sim cutter without problem. I've used them in the past and never had an issue.

After I cut the SIM and I place it into my iPhone will it walk me through the setup process? Since I am using the Straight Talk bring your own phone plan can I just move the SIM card to my new phone and have it work from there? Thanks for your help.

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
After I cut the SIM and I place it into my iPhone will it walk me through the setup process? Since I am using the Straight Talk bring your own phone plan can I just move the SIM card to my new phone and have it work from there? Thanks for your help.

There won't be any steps, if I recall correctly. You'll just pop the sim in, and bingo you're good to go!

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

DarlaMack

Apple TV Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Congrats on your new phone Michelle!!!

You should be able to use a sim-cutter but I would personally contact Straight Talk to request another sim just in case. My son used a sim-cutter when he switched from the iPhone 3GS to the 4S and accidentally scratched the card. It worked for awhile but we kept having that "Sim not inserted" issue and had to power off and on the phone until it accepted it. Not sayin that you would have this problem but it's best to be safe and you'll always have an immediate backup.
Another suggestion also and I'm not quite familiar with the Samsung, but before taking out your sim transfer your contacts to the sim card if there is a menu in your Galaxy s4 to do so. Once you do that and switch your sim you can import your contacts to your new 6plus by going to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Import Sim Contacts.

21stNow

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
I'd recommend that you get a new SIM card from Straight Talk. Nano-SIM cards aren't just shorter and narrower, they are also thinner than micro-SIM cards. After you cut it, you may need to sand it down in order for it to fit into the iPhone. That's more trouble than I would want to go through and the sanding increases the chances that something may go wrong with your existing SIM card.

heathertrent

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
Thank you everyone for your help. I went ahead and cut my SIM card because I didn't want to wait, lol. I have a new SIM card coming tomorrow but my old one is working. I love this phone!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711