iPhone 6+ or iPad air?

ig33k

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
I own a 6+ and I can say that this phone is perfect as a phone and as a replacement for a tablet. I can enjoy lot of media on it and when I need, I can even work. The Pages and Keynote work flawlessly, so my advice is to go for the 6 plus.

Sent from my iPhone 6 PLUS!

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I'd go with the iPhone 6plus. I'm loving mine and I never pick up my iPad. Well I bought my gf the new air 2 and I never get tempted to touch it lol. Although it is beautiful

Sent from my iPhone 6 plus using Tapatalk

TechnologyTwitt

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Although I just picked up this 16 GB Space Gray today, I'm finding it as a perfect compliment to the iPad Air, not replacement. I guess the best analogy I can use is, it's similar to have multiple monitors. There are certain things I do on each device, some unique and some overlap but none get in the way.

accesstech1

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Buy both of they got you budget.. I went from iPad 3 to iPad Air 2 and iPhone 5 to iPhone 6 Plus.. Downside was waiting for the Plus directly from China.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I own a 6+ and I can say that this phone is perfect as a phone and as a replacement for a tablet. I can enjoy lot of media on it and when I need, I can even work. The Pages and Keynote work flawlessly, so my advice is to go for the 6 plus.

Sent from my iPhone 6 PLUS!

This phone cannot replace a tablet. Not if you use one to get actual work done, in a non limited manner.
The reason why a lot of people are putting their iPads down for this phone is because they didn't really use those iPads as productivity devices to begin with its. They just used them as bigger iPhones. Which is fine cause Apple basically designed them that way. They basically run a smartphone OS.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
This phone cannot replace a tablet. Not if you use one to get actual work done, in a non limited manner.

Perhaps it can't for you...my brother had a surface pro and just recently got the 6+...says he never uses the surface anymore for anything, work or otherwise...and he used nothing BUT his tablet in his car while on the road for work. Obviously this is a case by case situation, but given the abilities of the iPhone and iPad being almost identical, I think it could easily replace a tablet for some people.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Perhaps it can't for you...my brother had a surface pro and just recently got the 6+...says he never uses the surface anymore for anything, work or otherwise. Obviously this is a case by case situation, but given the abilities of the iPhone and iPad being almost identical, I think it could easily replace a tablet for some people.

Not sure what he does for a living. But the surface is basically a complete windows Ultrabook hybrid. It can do anything a desktop can do, so it's pretty much what I said. There's a metric ton of stuff this phone can't do that a tablet like a surface can do, like run full windows software like Photoshop, Corel Painter, Dartfish, or even a Visual Studio IDE.

Smartphones are very capable so I'm well aware they can "replace" a tablet for users with quite basic needs. However, the only tablets this phone can truly replace are those running fairly stock smartphone operating systems, like an iPad Mini or Nexus 7.

Yes it's definitely case by case as to how it fits for the person, but it's not something that can generally be called a tablet replacement by anyone who uses a tablet as anything more than an oversized smartphone.

Many people are using it in lieu of a tablet because that's all the tablets ever were to them.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Not sure what he does for a living. But the surface is basically a complete windows Ultrabook hybrid. It can do anything a desktop can do, so it's pretty much what I said. There's a metric ton of stuff this phone can't do that a tablet like a surface can do, like run full windows software like Photoshop, Corel Painter, Dartfish, or even a Visual Studio IDE.

Smartphones are very capable so I'm well aware they can "replace" a tablet for users with quite basic needs. However, the only tablets this phone can truly replace are those running fairly stock smartphone operating systems, like an iPad Mini or Nexus 7.

Yes it's definitely case by case as to how it fits for the person, but it's not something that can generally be called a tablet replacement by anyone who uses a tablet as anything more than an oversized smartphone.

Many people are using it in lieu of a tablet because that's all the tablets ever were to them.

And I disagree with you...from what I understand, his usage includes a slew of clerical things you'd feel a true computer would be optimal for, scheduling for his tech guys, contract development and editing, blah blah blah. From what I saw him doing on his 6 Plus over thanksgiving, it's a very capable device perfectly suited for the demands of someone used to using a more work focused tablet like the surface pro.

But again...case by case. Some people don't want to deal with work arounds and stuff on a smart phone when they have a more direct path of doing things on a tablet. He runs one of the largest HVAC companies in Atlanta's sales team and in home technicians so I'd say his demand is pretty high on whatever device he's using.

I think you're generalizing things a bit too much.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
And I disagree with you...from what I understand, his usage includes a slew of clerical things you'd feel a true computer would be optimal for, scheduling for his tech guys, contract development and editing, blah blah blah. From what I saw him doing on his 6 Plus over thanksgiving, it's a very capable device perfectly suited for the demands of someone used to using a more work focused tablet like the surface pro.

But again...case by case. Some people don't want to deal with work arounds and stuff on a smart phone when they have a more direct path of doing things on a tablet. He runs one of the largest HVAC companies in Atlanta's sales team and in home technicians so I'd say his demand is pretty high on whatever device he's using.

I think you're generalizing things a bit too much.

Clerical things...

Very high demand for an operating system. Something you can do on a Surface with practically no apps installed on it. Yea... That means a Windows Phone would accomplish that just as well, and they have even bigger screens.

I never said smartphones were inadequate at PIM and data entry, email and scheduling.

Thinking and assuming aren't synonyms.

The only difference between a 6 Plus and an iPad is the screen size.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Clerical things...

Very high demand for an operating system. Something you can do on a Surface with practically no apps installed on it. Yea... That means a Windows Phone would accomplish that just as well, and they have even bigger screens.

I never said smartphones were inadequate at PIM and data entry, email and scheduling.

But I think your blowing it out of proportion by suggesting he's running an HVAC company off an iPhone, cause I know he's not given I have relatives in that industry.

Surface Pro isn't a work focused tablet - Microsoft just pushes harder there cause the price puts it out of reach for many consumers. It's just a high spec windows tablet. Not much different than any other except the digitizer/stylus. It's literally a full PC.

And practically the whole world agrees that an iPhone is not a replacement for a PC. It's why 99% of us still have one.

Thinking and assuming aren't synonyms.

I never said he was running the company with his phone...perhaps reading a little more carefully would benefit you. I said he was running two large teams of people with his phone, and I think you're over generalizing things by saying that it CAN'T replace a tablet...those were YOUR words. It certainly CAN replace a tablet for a lot of people, and I've seen it do it first hand.

When you make a comment like you did, then you back track and start putting limiting criteria on such, you yourself are making my argument so much more accurate. You said it can't...that was overly generic.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
It can't replace a tablet. If you're doing basic stuff you can replace the very basic things you use the tablet for with the phone. I think I made that clear.

What you described. It's very basic crap that any smartphone and even some feature phones can do. That's a pretty weak example.

You can do that on Windows Mobile phones from 2006. Apple didn't need to release a phone let to enable people to do that. He was just doing basic stuff on the phone because of convenience. That's not replacing a tablet. That's realizing you wasted money on a device that was unnecessary because you don't require more than the phone offers to begin with. Which is a low bar considering iOS isn't known for its flexibility, giving control to the user, or power in the feature/extensibility sense.

I think that's a pretty solid concept and it shouldn't be hard to understand.

This phone replaces iPads, which are basically huge iPhones. The reason why Apple stuck with the tiny screens so long was so hey didn't cannibalize iPad sales, which the Plus is doing right now.

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It can't replace a tablet. If you're doing basic stuff you can replace the very basic things you use the tablet for with the phone. I think I made that clear.

What you described. It's very basic crap that any smartphone and even some feature phones can do. That's a pretty weak example.

You can do that on Windows Mobile phones from 2006. Apple didn't need to release a phone let to enable people to do that. He was just doing basic stuff on the phone because of convenience. That's not replacing a tablet. That's realizing you wasted money on a device that was unnecessary because you don't require more than the phone offers to begin with. Which is a low bar considering iOS isn't known for its flexibility, giving control to the user, or power in the feature/extensibility sense.

I think that's a pretty solid concept and it shouldn't be hard to understand.

This phone replaces iPads, which are basically huge iPhones. The reason why Apple stuck with the tiny screens so long was so hey didn't cannibalize iPad sales, which the Plus is doing right now.

It's not a hard concept to understand...you think your opinion is fact, and your opinion is overly generic. Pretty simple really. For some people, the iPhone can replace what they used a tablet for...your initial comment said "to get actual work done"...and some how you feel that your idea of actual work is what everyone should accept as the definition as such...this again goes back to you being overly generic about things.

The iPhone 6 Plus can certainly replace a tablet for a lot of people...and for a lot of people it can't. I'm not sitting here trying to argue that ANY smart phone can replace ANY tablet for EVERY person, but you certainly approached that mark with your comments initially by saying that it absolutely cannot replace a tablet, which is simply untrue.

You can create your own defined criteria to fit your own argument all day long...again, my comment simply stated that it's case by case and that for some people, who do ACTUAL WORK on these devices...the iPhone 6 Plus can very competently replace a tablet for many people.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I sleep during the afternoon. I have a schedule that is opposite of most people's.

chinmay007

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
Wow! Lots of big arguments have been here, most are opinions and some are facts. But all said and done any device in the market (or at least the ones spoken about here ) are well endowed in terms of hardware. Only difference is about the software they run and are allowed to run.
Apple has already stratified the "availability" of apps for iPhone and iPad. There are lots of apps which are available for iPad and not for iPhone. With the screen size issue now more or less gone we should be able to see common apps for iPad and iPhones.
Then the choice will just be based on screen size and portability.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I believe it depends on what a user is doing with these two devices that can make a Plus replace a iPad.
Some may need or desire both some one or the other.
Although I have a Plus I still need a iPad for certain tasks just because of the size of the iPads interface/screen being close to a sheet to legal paper in size.
So it just depends on what one does. All of these devices represents a choice You can have one or all. Its up to you.