Switched from Note 4 to 6 Plus, and loving it!

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I have the same thought. I used to spend time tinkering, tweaking, etc., and it was fun. But now I just want something that works reliably and consistently, and for the most part, the iPhone does this. Do I have as much control over the look, feel, and functionality as I did with other devices (WinMo 5-6, Android, etc.)? No, but I rarely have time any more for such things. I just need my smartphone to work and not get distracted by all the cool things I could tweak and modify. I guess I've become an old curmudgeon. ?\_(ツ)_/?

To be fair, no one is forcing you to tinker with your device as an Android user.

Those devices (the flagships at least) run fine without all that work. I just came to the 6+ from a Note 3, and it ran flawlessly. There really isn't much I can say negative about that device, at all. I just changed cause I can and cause I wanted to. I like platform mobility and I like going from one ecosystem to another.

I upgrade phones like twice a year for the past 2-4 years, and there's always a 75% chance that even if I'm perfectly happy with what I have, I will initially pick something completely different just to keep myself engaged with as many platforms as I can (sometimes I return them and stay on same platform, sometimes not, sometimes I will get a second line and double fist different platforms as I'm sorta doing now). I think it helps me to remain a better informed consumer and it's also because different platforms and devices have different strengths which may better sell them to me depending on how I'm using my device when I upgrade.

Never bothered tinkering with Android devices. Still have an M8 that I use over WiFi, and don't do it to that phone, either.

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
To be fair, no one is forcing you to tinker with your device as an Android user.

Those devices (the flagships at least) run fine without all that work. I just came to the 6+ from a Note 3, and it ran flawlessly. There really isn't much I can say negative about that device, at all. I just changed cause I can and cause I wanted to. I like platform mobility and I like going from one ecosystem to another.

I upgrade phones like twice a year for the past 2-4 years, and there's always a 75% chance that even if I'm perfectly happy with what I have, I will initially pick something completely different just to keep myself engaged with as many platforms as I can (sometimes I return them and stay on same platform, sometimes not, sometimes I will get a second line and double fist different platforms as I'm sorta doing now). I think it helps me to remain a better informed consumer and it's also because different platforms and devices have different strengths which may better sell them to me depending on how I'm using my device when I upgrade.

Never bothered tinkering with Android devices. Still have an M8 that I use over WiFi, and don't do it to that phone, either.

I don't think I said anything negative about other platforms (if I do say something that might be considered negative, it should be framed in the context of that being my specific case and not necessarily pertinent to anyone else's choice), and I'm well aware that no one is forcing me to tinker. Some of us have an innate tendency to tinker. We have to make choices that sometimes limit this ability to tinker we can do so we don't spend time doing things that detract from other aspects of our lives. I'm glad you don't suffer from this, and I'm happy you have the opportunity to sample multiple phones per year. I've made my choice based on my needs, and I hope you continue to do the same.

shanghaichica

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I have the same thought. I used to spend time tinkering, tweaking, etc., and it was fun. But now I just want something that works reliably and consistently, and for the most part, the iPhone does this. Do I have as much control over the look, feel, and functionality as I did with other devices (WinMo 5-6, Android, etc.)? No, but I rarely have time any more for such things. I just need my smartphone to work and not get distracted by all the cool things I could tweak and modify. I guess I've become an old curmudgeon. ?\_(ツ)_/?

I have also grown out of the tweaking thing. I've used android for 2.5 years and thought that now was the time to come back to the iPhone. I was using the S5. Now I've had several Galaxy devices: note 1, S4, Note 3, S5 and have really enjoyed using them. However as time went on with the S5 I started to notice a few things like games lagging badly, apps crashing more frequently, the stock web browser crashing all the time. I also couldn't manage having just 16GB internal storage, despite having a 128GB SD card installed. I thought about getting the note 4 but in the end I thought it just wasn't worth the upgrade as it was too much of the same thing again. So I decided on the 6 plus which to be honest I'd had my eye on since the keynote event. I'm very pleased with it. At the moment I'm not really missing any of the features I had on android. The simplicity is really refreshing. Now I just want a device that works and the iPhone is the best device for me right now. The battery life is insane. Right now I have 52 % left and I've already used it for 24 hours. This is amazing as you use your phone more when you first get it. With my Galaxy devices I only get 6-8 hours usage in the first few days because you're using it constantly. I've used a lot of android phones over the past 2.5 years but feel that this is a phone that I want to keep for 2 years.

anon(5061193)

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
The batter life is crazy... I have been carrying around the 6+ and the Galaxy Note Edge for a few days now.. Nobody has the number to the Edge, so all of my calls are going to the 6+ and still after a full day of texting, calling, and playing around the 6+ was at 72% last night and the Edge which was basically in my pocket all day was at 45%... Apple really nailed it this time

Biggs91276

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
The batter life is crazy... I have been carrying around the 6+ and the Galaxy Note Edge for a few days now.. Nobody has the number to the Edge, so all of my calls are going to the 6+ and still after a full day of texting, calling, and playing around the 6+ was at 72% last night and the Edge which was basically in my pocket all day was at 45%... Apple really nailed it this time

I'm in the same situation. I purchased the note edge as well and have been using and testing it out for a week now and ya battery life isn't good at all on this phone. I still have my 6+ 64gb as well. So I'm on the fence as to which one to keep and yes battery life on the 6+ is amazing!!

ig33k

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys. I have been with Android since switching from the iPhone 5, with my most recent phone being the Note 4. While the Note 4 was very nice, I have grown tired with Touch Wiz. I switched to Nova, but to me one of the most annoying things with Android is that in order to enjoy the phone's full capabilities, you have to replace the stock launcher or other programs and it never quite feels like it all comes together 100 percent. I was fortunate last Saturday to find a space grey 128 gig 6 Plus at my local Apple Store. It's been almost a week now, and all I can say is WOW! This is the iPhone I have always wanted. The battery life is by far the best I have had on any smartphone I've owned (and sadly I have owned more than I'd like to admit). The screen size is perfect. The Note 4 has a very vibrant screen, but I feel the 6 Plus is more realistic. I love the addition of the widgets to the notification screen. The build quality in my opinion is far ahead of any current Android phone. It's also awesome to be able to choose from the ton of cases and other accessories that are available. You don't get that kind of choice from Android. Any how, I just wanted to state that it's great to be back with Apple and I look forward to much enjoyment of my new phone.

I got myself a 6 plus last week, coming from a note 3 and I fell that it's a more solid device. The note was a great device, but the 6+ is even better!

Sent from my iPhone 6 PLUS!

substring

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I switched from Android to iOS for pretty much the same reasons as the OP and many others have said, plus one big and important factor: iTunes.

All of my music are on iTunes. There is no easy way for me to interact with iTunes on my precious Samsung phones without jumping through hoops.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I don't think I said anything negative about other platforms (if I do say something that might be considered negative, it should be framed in the context of that being my specific case and not necessarily pertinent to anyone else's choice), and I'm well aware that no one is forcing me to tinker. Some of us have an innate tendency to tinker. We have to make choices that sometimes limit this ability to tinker we can do so we don't spend time doing things that detract from other aspects of our lives. I'm glad you don't suffer from this, and I'm happy you have the opportunity to sample multiple phones per year. I've made my choice based on my needs, and I hope you continue to do the same.

No one said you said anything negative about it. I said that there is nothing I could say negative about the Note 3, because the reason I left it had nothing to do with issues that I had with that phone or the platform. The UX was fine, the hardware was fabulous, and its performance and battery life was flawless. I just wanted something different, and therefore I went to iOS for now. In a year, I may go back, or I may get a Windows Phone or Blackberry, or Tizen or Firefox OS. I may even buy the next Amazon phone... *shrugs* It's how I roll.

I did say that no one is forcing you to tinker with your Android devices, and it's not a prerequisite to having a first rate user experience. You can tinker with an iPhone as well (JB, etc.) but I'd say the same about this platform. Totally unnecessary, so I am always a bit flabbergasted when people say they left one platform for another because they got "tired of tinkering" with their phone.

Also, your issues with the S5 are not typical or even close to common. I used the S1/2/3 and Note 3. Apart from the S1, whose problems were very known, they all performed flawlessly. Not much worse than an iPhone. Friends have S4s and they perform fine. I actually think the constant tinkering may do more bad to these phones than good, because all of the people who complain about bad battery life or performance are those that either have a ton of junk installed and running on their phones, or who constantly tinker with them (Root, ROMing, Freezing things that shouldn't be, etc.). That's just my anecdotal experience with that.

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
Ive been using Android since Gnex. I loved jumping to the note 2 then note 3. Im just a big screen fan and couldnt find a way to go small in screen size. Im now on the note 4 and got tired of the "traffic" experience especially now that Apple launched the 6plus, im going to ditch this note 4 for the 6plus to enjoy a polished ecosystem and a smoother phone experience in a large screen device. Going for the 64GB spacegrey 6plus. I am excited for a refreshing experience.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Ive been using Android since Gnex. I loved jumping to the note 2 then note 3. Im just a big screen fan and couldnt find a way to go small in screen size. Im now on the note 4 and got tired of the "traffic" experience especially now that Apple launched the 6plus, im going to ditch this note 4 for the 6plus to enjoy a polished ecosystem and a smoother phone experience in a large screen device. Going for the 64GB spacegrey 6plus. I am excited for a refreshing experience.

Nice choice! :)

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
Also, your issues with the S5 are not typical or even close to common. I used the S1/2/3 and Note 3. Apart from the S1, whose problems were very known, they all performed flawlessly. Not much worse than an iPhone. Friends have S4s and they perform fine. I actually think the constant tinkering may do more bad to these phones than good, because all of the people who complain about bad battery life or performance are those that either have a ton of junk installed and running on their phones, or who constantly tinker with them (Root, ROMing, Freezing things that shouldn't be, etc.). That's just my anecdotal experience with that.

I didn't mention anything about the SG5. I haven't used/seen/touched/played with it and wouldn't pretend to comment on it. You are probably thinking of some other poster.

Just suffice it to say that at this point in time, I have a preference for iOS devices over any Android device sold through carriers. This is not a final decision that I will carry on for the rest of my life. I go with what works best for me when I purchase something, as all people should do.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative