What can a thief do with an IPhone where Touch ID
    and Password are enabled ? It's would seem that
    potential things would know the phone is
    Worthless to them( especially when the owner can also use
    Activation with find my iphone to totally
    Lock down the phone). Am I missing something ?
    11-25-2014 09:14 PM
    TouchID and passcodes protect like a lock, they will thwart a simple attempt but can be defeated by determined scofflaws...

Now that's out of the way, it will (generally) protect your data/device contents. A locked device can be put into recovery and restored and set up as new. Cellular devices have IMEI (International Mobile Electronic Identification) numbers that can be added to a blacklist registry that carriers use. Once a device is blacklisted, it won't be possible to obtain service. Of course it's possible to change this IMEI if one is determined and has the knowledge (see my opening sentence!).
    Just_Me_D and substring like this.
    11-25-2014 09:24 PM
    Many thieves are not yet aware of the difficulties with the touch ID, passcode and Find My iPhone. Others take it by opportunity in hopes they can get in. But iPhone theft is way down from what it was 2 years ago. Many thieves are aware and don't bother stealing the iPhone. It's not worth stealing for parts.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.
    Just_Me_D and substring like this.
    11-25-2014 09:42 PM
    Thieves are dumb. They have no idea what they are doing and just don't care. Changing the security won't change their mind.
    11-25-2014 10:47 PM
    Nice try iPhone thief. Let's ask the community what you can do to use the device by indirectly skirting around the question, lol!
    11-26-2014 12:07 AM
    Most people steal because they run across an opportunity to do it, not because they planned the entire thing out to the end. A lot of people steal to make a buck too, not because they plan on using what they steal.
    11-26-2014 12:08 AM
    Given the opportunity some people will steal anything, whether they can use it or not.
    11-26-2014 09:16 AM
    I would imagine they could also sell it for parts. Presumably the screen, buttons, and such could be used to fix another device where those parts were broken. I suspect that would have some value ... though no idea how much.
    11-26-2014 10:19 PM
    Why steal? (period, end of thought.)
    11-26-2014 11:46 PM
    I don't think if it works out well when you steal an idea. Becase it may be easy to steal but hard to implement.
    11-27-2014 05:06 AM
    Some people will steal anything. A friend of mines BF was like that. One time they were over my house and he used my bathroom. I had some change in a little dish beside the sink (less than 25 cents) I used the bathroom next and sure enough the change was gone.
    I mentioned this to my friend a couple weeks later after she had broken up with the guy. All she had to say was " ya, the guy had sticky fingers".
    I guess a thief will steal when the opportunity arises.
    11-27-2014 08:43 AM
    Nice try iPhone thief. Let's ask the community what you can do to use the device by indirectly skirting around the question, lol!
    Anyone asking a question starting with I, a friend, or various family members. "being given, found, or bought an iPhone on ebay/ Craigslist ='s it being stolen ... some things are just that simple.
    11-27-2014 10:28 AM
    lol~~!!
    11-27-2014 10:55 AM
    What can a thief do with an IPhone where Touch ID
    and Password are enabled ? It's would seem that
    potential things would know the phone is
    Worthless to them( especially when the owner can also use
    Activation with find my iphone to totally
    Lock down the phone). Am I missing something ?
    Same reason people steal anything. They are scum. But anyway, those things are nice, but if someone really wants to get into the phone, they will find a way. Not to mention there is still resale for devices, even those locked down, hence why people do it.
    11-27-2014 03:16 PM
    Same thought
    11-27-2014 04:36 PM
    Parts.

You may not be able to sell the phone for $500, but you can still use the i.e. screen and repair someone else's cracked screen for $100. Profits are profits to these people. That's why.

The only time that becomes unviable is if the device is so hard to repair that it becomes not worth it from a labor point of view.

Some Android phones have this as well (Reactivation Lock on Samsung devices) and it has the same caveat. Yes, it will protect your phone from thieves who may want to sell it whole or use it for themselves. But it won't do anything to stop people who steal phones to sell them to people who tear them apart and will repurpose the Screen, Battery, Camera Module, etc. to repair other phones for profits.
    11-27-2014 10:57 PM
    Stan Goran, when someone steals an iPhone, I thought there was an unwritten rule that your also suppose to cut off both thumbs of the victim just in case.
    Premium1 likes this.
    11-28-2014 11:25 AM
    Some people are simply idiotic.
    11-28-2014 10:19 PM
    The good thing is you can add a "Call me at 70787878" message somewhere on the lock screen for who ever find your lost phone can call and return it to you.
    One of the security of iOS that can never be defeated is find my phone. If it's enable, then the thief can not restore it unless they have your find my phone credential that is user name and password. If they can not pass that find my phone screen when restoring the device, then they just have a brick device useful only if they decide to take it apart and sell the parts of it. In all cases, a thief will somehow benefit from the phone if they come steal one. While the find my phone security is awesome and prevent a thief of using your phone, apple should think about making the iPhone parts to work only together. Say a battery of an iPhone A shouldn't work in a iPhone B if find my iPhone is enable same to most important parts of the iPhone like Touch ID, screen etc... and hopeful that they will come to that extend one day then thief will not be able to sell stolen iPhone parts and will have no other option than to return it to it's owner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    11-29-2014 04:01 AM