My transition from Android

TreeSpooner

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone! I've had my iPhone 6+ for two weeks and it is love. I'm coming from a long line of Android phones, most recently the Galaxy S4. I originally purchased the 16gb, but quickly realized I need the 64gb.
Most of my android owning pals don't understand why I made the switch, but luckily I don't sway easily. Their main sticking point is, how can I live without all of the customization? My answer? Easily, I never used all of the features, a lot of them gimicky at best, anyway.

Take the Galaxy S4 Camera for example. There are too many modes and special features to even be useful. It was just entirely too cumbersome to be of any real benefit. Give me a simple, quality camera and I can download an app to make the photos fancy.

Widgets are another feature I never fully utilized since they bogged down the system after awhile and most were quite buggy. I don't miss them at all and prefer Apple's minimalistic take on widgets.

My Android loving friends also claim that Android has more apps. Well, I appreciate quality over quantity. From what I have found, the iPhone version of the Android apps I used are so much more functional, not to mention prettier.

I find the 6+ is a perfect match for me and I am completely satisfied with my decision to switch. As far as the Android features I had to give up to get here, how can I miss what I never used or needed anyway, lol?

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
If I've said it once, I've said it a billion times. Android users TWEAK their phones. iPhone users USE their phones.

shanghaichica

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I will be making the same change next week. I just feel that its time for a change. I've been with Android for almost three years now. Before that I was an iPhone user and have continued to use ios devices in that time (ipad, ipod touch, Apple TV). Android had been fun, all the Customisation and watching it mature as a platform. I think the things I will miss the most are the advanced sharing options and the filing system.

rachmk2005

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Hi, just curious, when you made the switch over to iPhone, did you decide to use all of the Google services on the phone? I am in the same situation and cannot decide if it is best to download all of the Google apps and continue to use Google as my email, contacts, photo backup, and the rest, or if that is somehow messing up my "true iPhone" experience.

Thanks!

Ron Hites

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi, just curious, when you made the switch over to iPhone, did you decide to use all of the Google services on the phone? I am in the same situation and cannot decide if it is best to download all of the Google apps and continue to use Google as my email, contacts, photo backup, and the rest, or if that is somehow messing up my "true iPhone" experience.

Thanks!

I use Apples Mail, but I still get my gmail. Your Mail is easy to set up.
The only Google apps I have are Google News, Google Maps, and the Okay Google app. Myself personally, I prefer Siri over Okay Google, but that's just me...

TreeSpooner

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site

Thanks!

I am using Google's new Inbox app for gmail, which is pretty awesome. I also use Google Maps, Google News, and I use Google Drive. I tried to limit the rest so that I could really get a feel for the iPhone. Oh, and I have Google Music which allows me to access the music I purchased through Google.

I'm curious how popular any of these Google apps are iPhone users who never tried Android?

uno mas

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Agree totally. I also found android customization to be cumbersome and, at my age, unnecessary. So I ditched the LG G3 for a 6+ last month and have enjoyed every moment of my return to iOS.:cool:

Good to hear you're pleased with the switch as well!

mikepolinske

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I've also come over to the iPhone from many years of Android. I always felt iOS apps were of better quality than Android (more features, looked nicer) but I just didn't like the 4 inch screen size of the previous iPhones. I had an iPod touch, so I knew how small the screen was and so my first smartphone was the HTC EVO.

I also don't like that with Android phones, you have to wait for both the manufacturers and the carriers to provide OS updates, where as iOS updates come from Apple.

Third, one-handed use of phones was NEVER important to me since I am kind of clutsy and prefer to use the phones with both hands.

TreeSpooner

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
I've also come over to the iPhone from many years of Android. I always felt iOS apps were of better quality than Android (more features, looked nicer) but I just didn't like the 4 inch screen size of the previous iPhones. I had an iPod touch, so I knew how small the screen was and so my first smartphone was the HTC EVO.

I also don't like that with Android phones, you have to wait for both the manufacturers and the carriers to provide OS updates, where as iOS updates come from Apple.

Third, one-handed use of phones was NEVER important to me since I am kind of clutsy and prefer to use the phones with both hands.

That is exactly the reason I picked Android over iPhone in the beginning... Screen size. At the time copy and paste was also important to me.

And waiting for Verizon to push an update that Google released 6 months prior was excruciating!

SneakySin

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
I was in the same boat as the OP. I decided to take a chance as I was always an iOS basher and pro-Android. Decided Android was getting too repetitive and gimmicky so rather than talk bad about iOS without ever using it, I figured IP6 was a good phone to test out. Needless to say, I wont be going back. I still like Android but iOS better suits my usage and its so simplistic. And 2 weeks later, I made my older brother a believer. His IP6 is out for delivery!

j0celyn

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
I too will be making the switch from Android to iOS. I've only used an iPhone once and it was my dad's old 3G. When that broke, I went to Android with a bigger screen and couldn't imagine myself going back. But when the bigger screens were announced, I figured why not and took the plunge last week when I ordered one. I was a little wary about the lack of customization but I realized I don't even customize my Note 3 or G3 that much I figured I'll take a shot at the 6+. Almost all of my family members (except for two) use iPhone and they refuse to download Hangouts to video chat, so it makes more sense for me to get one, and then for the two that do use Android, I can just download Hangouts and still chat with them.

21stNow

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
If I've said it once, I've said it a billion times. Android users TWEAK their phones. iPhone users USE their phones.

You can say it a trillion times, but that won't make it true. It's an opinion that is proven false millions of times a day by Android users all over the world.

wlsblessed

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
I went back and forth between Android and IOS for about a year. I would go from IOS to an android phone because I wanted a larger screen but missed the IOS experienced. I new have my lovely 6+ and will not seek to return to Android. I just got my phone two days ago and have a problem removing it from my hands. Everything that I was able to do on Android I'm doing on my 6+ with no problems at all. The only Google apps that I use are Google Voice and Google Drive. I never thought I'd find a phone that fit me so perfectly but the 6+ is it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73