Where do all returned 6s and Plus's go ?

stan goran

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
What does Apple do with all the returned/ switched models ? Resell as new, used,refurbished or what ? There should be TONS of these available based on posts. Mysterious to me- maybe a dumb Q

stan goran

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
You mean if a customer returns a 6 plus for a 6 in the 14 days it is then sold as refurbished ? That makes no sense, if the only reason was they did not like it because it was to big !
The phone should be perfect, except only used for a few days. How much are these
Exchanged models discounted as " refurbished" ?

stan goran

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
This makes more sense. If they can't resell to customers , but van only use for warrantee replacement as refurbished. The " open box sral" sounds intriguing -I wonder how often stores offer these or do you have to ask for them ? Would they offer full Apple one year warantee ?

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Apple uses returns as replacement units if you take your phone in for a warranty replacement. They are all refurbished first, then repackaged as such. Occasionally these are sold as discounted, refurbished phones however this is the exception, not the rule.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
You mean if a customer returns a 6 plus for a 6 in the 14 days it is then sold as refurbished ? That makes no sense, if the only reason was they did not like it because it was to big !
The phone should be perfect, except only used for a few days. How much are these

How does it not make sense? It's a used phone, it can't be resold as new just because it returned relatively quickly...it's the same situation if a car is purchased and then returned within a few weeks...that car can't be sold as a new vehicle, so it ends up losing some value and is given a good once over and sold as certified used.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I returned a 6 Plus, sealed and unopened to an Apple Store and even that will be sold as refurbished.

Note: I was shocked the guy didn't open the package to see if the actual phone was inaive.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
What does Apple do with all the returned/ switched models ? Resell as new, used,refurbished or what ? There should be TONS of these available based on posts. Mysterious to me- maybe a dumb Q

Usually are refurbished and is what you get if you need a replacement and come into an apple store. Otherwise will end up being sold for a little less refurbished.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

Makes perfect sense. If I am buying a "brand new" phone, I expect it to be untouched and unused when I get it. Just because someone returns it and there is nothing wrong with it, no way they can sell that as new.

Chief G-Hawk

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
From what I know, all returns made goes to HQ then sent back to the factory, and any working parts they will reuse those and anything that is defects will be removed. AFAIK, they will take the casing out, re-melt the aluminum casing and recase that with the new IMEI and battery is new, and the screen will be new. Generally, you can't tell apart between a new one and the refurb because they will be the same.

itsgusmetropolo

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
From what I know, all returns made goes to HQ then sent back to the factory, and any working parts they will reuse those and anything that is defects will be removed. AFAIK, they will take the casing out, re-melt the aluminum casing and recase that with the new IMEI and battery is new, and the screen will be new. Generally, you can't tell apart between a new one and the refurb because they will be the same.

That's right, sir. They reuse the body and replace all parts that were touched/used. The Apple guy told me that.