i bet everyone here who misses cortana will get used to use siri instead.
    bc siri is the best digital assistant out there with the most beautiful UI (imo).. and since you can get the "hey siri" function (with jailbreak also untethered) it's out of cortanas league.
    11-15-2014 01:18 PM
    bc siri is the best digital assistant out there with the most beautiful UI (imo).. and since you can get the "hey siri" function (with jailbreak also untethered) it's out of cortanas league.
    Siri definitely is not something that really interest me to be honest as she just feels....weak to me. But I like her better than google now
    11-16-2014 03:53 AM

I suggest you try Cortana, then compare. I've used both, and Siri is not as capable as Cortana at this time.
    rdubmu and Nogitsune Micah like this.
    11-16-2014 11:27 AM
    I suggest you try Cortana, then compare. I've used both, and Siri is not as capable as Cortana at this time.
    What can Cortana do that Siri can-not? (Serious question). Setting up appointments, reminding you of something when you get to a location, etc. all all features Siri can do as well. I've seen the Cortana advertisements, and there wasn't a single thing that they said Cortana could do that Siri couldn't do (Regardless of the advertisement would have you believe).
    GSOgymrat likes this.
    11-16-2014 04:53 PM
    Everything that Siri can do, Cortana does better. It has a notebook, it remembers things. Siri used the reminders app for notify you if it is location based etc... I also find that Cortana does search a lot better, heck Google now I use to search for restaurants on my iPhone over Siri. Sometimes Siri just sucks. It can do basic things but not much more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nogitsune Micah likes this.
    11-16-2014 09:40 PM
    Everything that Siri can do, Cortana does better. It has a notebook, it remembers things. Siri used the reminders app for notify you if it is location based etc... I also find that Cortana does search a lot better, heck Google now I use to search for restaurants on my iPhone over Siri. Sometimes Siri just sucks. It can do basic things but not much more.

Doesn't Siri's search use google?
    I've used Siri from everything to googling the location of a restaurant, to reminding me to take out the fish from the freezer when I get home.
    11-17-2014 09:22 AM
    Doesn't Siri's search use google?
    I've used Siri from everything to googling the location of a restaurant, to reminding me to take out the fish from the freezer when I get home.
    If you just ask Siri "search the web" is actually uses Bing for the search. To get a Google search you can ask her "google". Depending on what else you ask her though, she might go to Wikipedia or Wolfram Alpha or another service she has a tie in to.
    11-17-2014 02:11 PM
    What can Cortana do that Siri can-not? (Serious question). Setting up appointments, reminding you of something when you get to a location, etc. all all features Siri can do as well. I've seen the Cortana advertisements, and there wasn't a single thing that they said Cortana could do that Siri couldn't do (Regardless of the advertisement would have you believe).
    Thanks for letting me know about the location reminders. I used location and person reminders on Cortana daily and didn't realize you have to activate these functions in Siri.

So far I've been disappointed in Siri compared to Cortana. Siri frequently just doesn't seem to get things right and I don't understand why. Yesterday I told Siri "Call Cobb Animal Clinic" which is in my contacts and she said "I found fifteen animal hospitals. Tap the one you want to call" and NONE of them were Cobb Animal Clinic even though it is 2 miles from my house. I pulled out Cortana, said "Call Cobb Animal Clinic" and got "Okay, calling Cobb Animal Clinic." A friend and I were driving and trying to locate a cemetery but couldn't remember the exact name. We tried to get Siri to navigate to the location and she didn't get it. I said the same phrase to Cortana and she got it right. It seems like Siri defaults to web searches more than Cortana. I am looking forward to either Siri getting better or Cortana becoming available on iPhone.
    rdubmu likes this.
    11-17-2014 03:05 PM
    Welcome to iMore

11-17-2014 03:33 PM
    Siri just annoys me :P I find her useless and to be honest and as much as I didn't use Cortana, the limited times I used Cortana I found her to be way more useful and personable(I like the spunk she has) than Siri and she actually UNDERSTANDS me better than Siri does.

Siri is probably one of the two reasons I am not currently enjoying my iPhone 6 plus.
    11-17-2014 04:26 PM
    Siri is probably one of the two reasons I am not currently enjoying my iPhone 6 plus.
    I have to ask, what is the second reason?
    11-17-2014 09:02 PM
    I have to ask, what is the second reason?
    Haha i actually made a post here about more things that annoy me lol
    http://forums.imore.com/iphone-6-plu...noying-me.html

As a former windows phone user i know you will knOw what I am referring too when I say this. Windows phone apps do slightly pale in comparison to their iOS and android counterparts as far as features go.

That we can agree on however after using the the Twitter app, I'm beginning to wonder is it so bad. While the windows phone apps may lack this feature or that feature the usability as far as design goes is better on the windows phone version and they don't feel as bloated as their more mature counterparts.

And don't even get me started on snapchat and Instagram lol. 6tag and 6tin are better by a longshot.

I did finally check out they grindr app that a lot of my friends had been talking about. Not my type of thing id use regularly lol but I will admit it did feel good to be able to check out this or that app that people always talk about. But at the same time having all these apps on iPhones makes me realize it's good for numbers but other than that the app gap really isn't as bad as I thought or people make it out to be tbh.

11-18-2014 03:31 AM
    I think the app gap doesn't matter unless there is something you really want that you can't find. For me it was losing the Zillow app on Windows Phone because I travel a lot and love seeing how much homes cost in different areas. Not being able to do that anymore was completely unacceptable. I know guys who could never switch from iPhone to Windows Phone because their sex lives would "grind" to a halt.
    11-18-2014 09:06 AM
    Switching platforms is never a easy process and I find that there is always a certain amount of a learning curve even with a easy OS like iOS. Give it a few weeks and I think you'll get used to your new 6 Plus and enjoy it. If not, no worries. You can always go back to another OS of your choice. Good luck!
    11-18-2014 09:28 AM
    I am a windows phone dev. I switched back to iPhone in February and started learning to make an app in iOS, and I was surprised to find out that it's easy to build one that can do so much more. I now have a space gray iPhone 6 Plus.
    11-18-2014 01:55 PM
    I think the app gap doesn't matter unless there is something you really want that you can't find. For me it was losing the Zillow app on Windows Phone because I travel a lot and love seeing how much homes cost in different areas. Not being able to do that anymore was completely unacceptable. I know guys who could never switch from iPhone to Windows Phone because their sex lives would "grind" to a halt.
    Zillow app is on the iphone. FYI.
    11-18-2014 03:18 PM
    Zillow app is on the iphone. FYI.
    Oh, yes, that was the pivotal reason I bought my first iPhone. I was using the Zillow app on my Windows Phone, which I broke, and when I bought a replacement I discovered Zillow had pulled their app from the Windows Phone store and I couldn't download it again. I tolerated not having Amazon Prime Video or Nook, I put up with Xbox Music not working... again... but when I learned there was no Zillow, that there are NO working real estate apps for Windows Phone, that was the last straw! I saw on the Zillow website the app was still available on iPhone so in a fit of impotent rage I drove straight to the Apple Store and paid full price for the iPhone 6 Plus. I told my brother about my iPhone purchase and he said "so basically you just spent $950 on a Zillow app." I told him I returned the replacement Lumia 1520, which was $500, so the Zillow app really only cost me $450. Somehow I didn't feel vindicated.
    11-18-2014 05:43 PM
    Oh, yes, that was the pivotal reason I bought my first iPhone. I was using the Zillow app on my Windows Phone, which I broke, and when I bought a replacement I discovered Zillow had pulled their app from the Windows Phone store and I couldn't download it again. I tolerated not having Amazon Prime Video or Nook, I put up with Xbox Music not working... again... but when I learned there was no Zillow, that there are NO working real estate apps for Windows Phone, that was the last straw! I saw on the Zillow website the app was still available on iPhone so in a fit of impotent rage I drove straight to the Apple Store and paid full price for the iPhone 6 Plus. I told my brother about my iPhone purchase and he said "so basically you just spent $950 on a Zillow app." I told him I returned the replacement Lumia 1520, which was $500, so the Zillow app really only cost me $450. Somehow I didn't feel vindicated.
    LOL wow :P you must really love that app To each their own

My 2nd endeavor into the world of iPhone went much better than the 1st time around.....but I decided to switch back to my Lumia 1520 for the time being. I do think the 3rd time(and if WP has not released a flagship lumia come july 2015) then I will be back on iPhone for good. Third time is the charm.....

For me what sent me back was the fact that I honestly am, Honestly for me the app gap really isn't as bad as I thought. And the issues with WP I have sort of are less than the annoyances on IOS.

The app I do miss is Camera360. It is my Selfie app and I love it on WP and I discovered the iPhone verison has way more features He could make a Killing on WP since the app is VERY POPULAR already for us if he added those features.
    11-19-2014 01:34 AM
    I get why you want to go back to the 1520. Let me know if Windows Phone ever gets a Zillow app!
    11-19-2014 01:40 AM
    Hi there. After having my iPhone 6 plus for two weeks I can definetly confirm that Cortana is indeed superior to Siri.

The interesting thing about Cortana is that it learns from the user at the beginig of the setup: type of news, work, home, family, etc. It Siri, it take a while for Siri to know you, your movements, and all. Cortana also works like an app. When you have the Cortana tile it shows you either important news feed, the weather, events near you or even flight schedule (which automatically sets it up once you get flight confirmation) and it also tells you when you need to leave your house so you can get to the airport in time so you dont miss the flight. Moreover, with Cortana you can assign "names" to contacts, for example, I can put mom to my mother contact name and when I ask cortana to call mom it will call my mom, with Siri it doesnt happen (English is not my main language so trying to pronouce my moms name in English doesnt work really well with Siri).

Windows indeed has surpased Apple on the personal assistant level. It is way more user friendly and dynamic than Siri.
    11-24-2014 03:59 PM
    Hi there. After having my iPhone 6 plus for two weeks I can definetly confirm that Cortana is indeed superior to Siri.

The interesting thing about Cortana is that it learns from the user at the beginig of the setup: type of news, work, home, family, etc. It Siri, it take a while for Siri to know you, your movements, and all. Cortana also works like an app. When you have the Cortana tile it shows you either important news feed, the weather, events near you or even flight schedule (which automatically sets it up once you get flight confirmation) and it also tells you when you need to leave your house so you can get to the airport in time so you dont miss the flight. Moreover, with Cortana you can assign "names" to contacts, for example, I can put mom to my mother contact name and when I ask cortana to call mom it will call my mom, with Siri it doesnt happen (English is not my main language so trying to pronouce my moms name in English doesnt work really well with Siri).

Windows indeed has surpased Apple on the personal assistant level. It is way more user friendly and dynamic than Siri.
    Siri does have the call mom feature. I have it setup for my mom, dad, wife, numerous people.
    11-24-2014 04:26 PM

That's not true as far as having Siri call people using either relationships or nicknames. She does both.

Siri will call people by nickname. It's very easy. I just added a relationship of "mother" to my mother's contact record and now I can just say "call my mom" to Siri and it works fine. If you don't want to edit contacts manually, you can also set up relationships by telling Siri "Jane xxxxx is my mother" and it will add that relationship for you.
    Siri also understands nicknames in addition to relationships so you can add a nickname field such as I could add the nickname "hunny" to my husband's contact record and then ask Siri to "call hunny" and it would work.
    11-24-2014 04:31 PM
    I use camera+, but my main camera is ProCamera 8. It has it all. Makes great photos and includes many options and features.
    ProCamera 8 by Cocologics
    https://appsto.re/us/BN3zP.i

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.
    11-24-2014 04:42 PM
48 12