AT&T rolled out VoLTE today in Atlanta...

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if this is just a test, or if it's a permanent thing, but today I made a phone call to my wife and noticed a few things...

- The clarity was absolutely insane. Like talking to her face to face. It was honestly a bit weird to get used to because I couldn't believe this was coming out of my phone.
- My wife said that my voice sounded a lot more clear as well (though she wasn't in a WiFi network) so apparently even a one sided WiFi call can receive clarity improvements.
- There was instantaneous connection when I called her back...meaning it immediately started ringing when I selected her in my recent call list.
- There was instantaneous disconnect...no lag between hangup and menu, it was literally just completed as soon as I hit the button.

...So far, I am QUITE impressed with this tech. The quality is still just shocking to me how clear and defined it sounds. Definitely looking forward to using it in the future!

Proof:

IMG_4109.jpg

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
re: AT&T rolled out Voice over VoLTE today in Atlanta...

How can you tell it is a wifi call? T-Mobile usually displays "T-Mobile WiFi" at the top when connected.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Normally, when a phone call is made the wifi bars in the top left corner would switch to a 4G cellular logo. As you can see in the picture, the WiFi indicator is still there.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

Normally, when a phone call is made the wifi bars in the top left corner would switch to a 4G cellular logo. As you can see in the picture, the WiFi indicator is still there.

Really? I have never seen that happen on my friends iPhones (AT&T, Sprint, Verizon, etc.) they keep the WiFi icon if they make a call and are connected to wifi --- I know AT&T said they're going to roll out wifi calling but I would think they would let you know you're on it unless it is just in a testing phase.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site

I thought the same thing that when you make a phone call it switches to cellular. But I just tried with VZW.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415307165.422330.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

I thought the same thing that when you make a phone call it switches to cellular. But I just tried with VZW.

View attachment 70780

Yeah from my experience / knowledge it always keeps the wifi symbol. Apple would have to do an update to allow the phone to work with WiFi calling for other carriers. They said they're working with T-Mobile in the US and EE in Europe -- So I doubt the phone would just be able to use WiFi calling for the other carriers.

That being said though -- WiFi calling is coming to Verizon and AT&T .. Just not till 2015/2016. They don't feel as rushed to do it .. which makes sense though since they have better coverage.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site

I just made a call and switched the wifi on and off and it didn't seem to make a difference. And VZW isn't supposed to have it until next year.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

I just made a call and switched the wifi on and off and it didn't seem to make a difference. And VZW isn't supposed to have it until next year.

Yep -- it is still using cellular.

Now as Sean said it will drop to a 4G connection if you're on LTE and make a call .. Since AT&T doesn't have VoLTE launched yet it has to drop back to the HSPA (4G) standard. Again .. I expect AT&T to get that going soon as well then it will hold LTE even on a call.

UJ95x

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

ATT hasn't begun their WiFi calling rollout.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Hmm, that's weird, could have sworn that the wifi thing changed.

At any rate, the clarity of the call I made to my wife today was insanely different than normal calls we make, and neither of us were using a headset or anything. There was definitely something different about the quality of the call, no question.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

Hmm, that's weird, could have sworn that the wifi thing changed.

At any rate, the clarity of the call I made to my wife today was insanely different than normal calls we make, and neither of us were using a headset or anything. There was definitely something different about the quality of the call, no question.

It could have been using HD Voice. I do know AT&T has been working on that and it just works if you call another AT&T customer (such as your wife). :).

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site

I'm going back into work in and hour and I get a really bad signal in the basement so I'll try it there.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

It could have been using HD Voice. I do know AT&T has been working on that and it just works if you call another AT&T customer (such as your wife). :).

Called my dad on Tmobile and it was just as clear, I think VoLTE is being introduced here now.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Re: AT&T rolled out Voice over VoLTE today in Atlanta...

Called my dad on Tmobile and it was just as clear, I think VoLTE is being introduced here now.

Definitely sounds like it! :)... and sometime next year AT&T will have wifi calling (for those bad spots if you have any that you run into) -- You'll be set.

Les74

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Re: AT&T rolled out Voice over VoLTE today in Atlanta...

When I make calls, my symbol ALWAYS goes to 1x. I have VZW as well.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods