Whys isn't my iPhone 6 plus not saving any new photos?

Marty Edwards

May 4, 2013
Visit site
iPhone 6 plus not saving any new photos

Last night I was taking pictures with my iPhone 6 plus and the last 7 or so I took showed up in the thumbnail but not in the camera roll. I lost a few pictures but nothing major. I connected the iPhone to my computer and browsed to the DCIM folder and saw the last photo I took was named img_9999. I figured I had reached a limit. I only have about 50 pictures on the phone but obviously the internal counter has been incrementing. I can delete photos but still take NO new ones due to this possible counter limitation.

I gather this is working as designed but I need to push on past 10,000. Are there any thoughts or a good way to reset the counter without resetting the phone as new?

Thanks much.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Re: iPhone 6 plus not saving any new photos

Have you tried a reboot by holding in both buttons until the apple logo comes up.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

Marty Edwards

May 4, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for your quick reply. That is the first thing I tried. I did the harder restart of holding home and power until the Apple logo was seen and then released. I actually did that more than once. As of now, I'm totally unable to take photos even though I have ample space on the iPhone 6 plus. I will say I did a restore from an iPhone 5s hence my counter is up to 9999 but all else is working perfectly. If I can't resolve it, I will setup as new but I do have concerns of this happening again as I near that 10K mark. I take a LOT of screenshots and photos hence the large number.

Thanks again.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site

The next thing I would try is a wipe and restore. If you do it on a PC or Mac and encrypt the back up it will restore everything including your passwords.

Marty Edwards

May 4, 2013
Visit site

I did a restore but did NOT wipe first. It freed up the counter to where I could take about 10 pictures then once again no new pictures after 9999. I'll do a wipe and restore and if need be a set up as new. Thanks again for your suggestions.

I'll try some experimenting with camera settings (cloud, etc) and see if these open it up, but if not, I'll go from there with the above steps.

Thanks

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site

Try this and then restore.

How to put your iPhone or iPad into DFU mode
1. Plug your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad into your Mac or Windows PC and make sure iTunes is running.
2. Hold down both the Sleep Button (on top of your device) and the Home Button (on the front underneath the screen).
3. Keep them both held down from about 10 seconds. (If you see the Apple logo, you've held them too long and will need to start again.)
4. Let go of the Sleep Button but keep holding the Home Button for about 5 seconds. (If you see the "Plus into iTunes" screen than you held it too long and will need to start again.)
If the screen stays black, that's it! Your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad should now be in DFU mode.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site

Once you do that you can install the OS and it will completely wipe the phone and install a new OS. Then you can restore from a back up or as new.

Marty Edwards

May 4, 2013
Visit site

Thanks again. I did a recovery mode but not yet DFU. I also did a setup as new from the phone with and without iCould enabled. All three ways the camera would NOT save the picture. I would see the thumbnail after taking the picture but it was not in the camera roll or any where I could find.

I will try DFU next and probably just go as new from there. Very odd that all is "working" but just not saving the picture even after a setup as new.

I'll post back when this is resolved so that it might help someone else.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Within the first week of having the phone I was having a similar issue where the photos wouldn't be saved...thankfully I noticed it after only a couple of photos after pressing the thumbnail an getting an older picture preview instead. This stopped happening after a hard reset for me, and apparently was directly addressed with update 8.1. If yours is still doing it, you may need to have your device replaced.

Marty Edwards

May 4, 2013
Visit site

*** Issue Solved*** Thanks to you both for your comments and suggestions. I'' post what I did in hope of helping others.

I had a good iTunes backup from this morning. I do that, and iCloud, daily.

1. I plugged the phone into the computer with iTunes.

2. I clicked on the big "restore iPhone" button at the upper right and told it to set up as NEW.

3. I then restored to this morning's backup and all is fine. Apparently reloading the firmware took care of it. All new pictures are being numbered with lower numbers now and being saved properly. Even though I still have a picture numbered "img_9999" the restore reset the firmware to properly fill in the blanks.

I must say I'm even more impressed with Apple and the backup/restores and how good everything works. I learned much today.

Thanks all again!

canyousew

Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
READ THIS... IT ACTUALLY WORKS TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM OF PHOTOS NOT SHOWING UP IN YOUR CAMERA ROLL on iPhone running iOS 8.3!!!

I know this looks alot like the post just above it, but it took me ALL DAY and several "erase and back ups" before I realized I had to "RESTORE iPhone as NEW"... Keep reading...

1. Back your phone up to your computer. (I have not had good luck with retrieving EVERYTHING from prior iCloud back ups. So, I suggest you back your phone up to your computer. You can switch it back to iCloud back up thereafter.)

2. Plug your phone into iTunes and choose "RESTORE iPhone as NEW" AT THE TOP RIGHT OF THE iTunes window. This will install a brand new copy of the phone's software/ firmware to your phone.

3. Restore your phone from the computer back up you saved before you started this process.

4. Take a test photo and you will see that it will appear in your camera roll. Other photos you took while the phone wasn't allowing them to show up may show up in your camera roll. My phone even restored/ "found" 4-5 random photos I took as I was trying to figure out what in world happened to my phone.

GOOD LUCK with your phone and PLEASE email Apple to let them know you had this issue. If enough of us email them, they should correct his issue in future software updates.

ypmaiya

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
Ok. My last photo captured on iPhone 6 Plus was numbered IMG_4240. Does that mean i can capture only 5759 more photos on my iPhone? I still have 30GB free on my phone. Cant i fill that empty space with only photos? I'm confused.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Ok. My last photo captured on iPhone 6 Plus was numbered IMG_4240. Does that mean i can capture only 5759 more photos on my iPhone? I still have 30GB free on my phone. Cant i fill that empty space with only photos? I'm confused.

As many as you want as long as you have space for them. You can also use cloud based apps like Box, Dropbox, and OneDrive to store photos. You can then delete them from your camera roll.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
READ THIS... IT ACTUALLY WORKS TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM OF PHOTOS NOT SHOWING UP IN YOUR CAMERA ROLL on iPhone running iOS 8.3!!!

I know this looks alot like the post just above it, but it took me ALL DAY and several "erase and back ups" before I realized I had to "RESTORE iPhone as NEW"... Keep reading...

1. Back your phone up to your computer. (I have not had good luck with retrieving EVERYTHING from prior iCloud back ups. So, I suggest you back your phone up to your computer. You can switch it back to iCloud back up thereafter.)

2. Plug your phone into iTunes and choose "RESTORE iPhone as NEW" AT THE TOP RIGHT OF THE iTunes window. This will install a brand new copy of the phone's software/ firmware to your phone.

3. Restore your phone from the computer back up you saved before you started this process.

4. Take a test photo and you will see that it will appear in your camera roll. Other photos you took while the phone wasn't allowing them to show up may show up in your camera roll. My phone even restored/ "found" 4-5 random photos I took as I was trying to figure out what in world happened to my phone.

GOOD LUCK with your phone and PLEASE email Apple to let them know you had this issue. If enough of us email them, they should correct his issue in future software updates.

What did you lose in an iCloud back up? I always back up with iCloud. Never a problem.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

LOL! Did you really just echo what the OP ended up doing (and posting no less) over 6 months ago as a suggestion to him?

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Re: Whys isn't my iPhone 5 not saving any new clickd photos?

help me when i clicked some photos from camera its doesent save in photos means not showing in album also not showing in computer
and the second issues is when im going to setting to set the wallpaper its going hang and it stucks:concern::concern:

please help me but dont say to reset iphone if u have other solution please go ahed..

martijngoddijn

May 11, 2016
Visit site

All my photos/videos suddenly were gone just when we came back from our lovely holiday island Formentera spain.... new pictures taken with camera app weren't saved to cameraroll anymore . In the camera roll app buttons are grayed and you can't click them. I'm using the dropbox app so only the last 1000 pictures weren't backed up yet.

I went to the apple store Genius Bar but they couldn't help me... Thanks to your post you helped me recovering more than 20.000+ pictures on my iphone 6 ios 9 with the vacation pictures !

Once again many many great thanks to all !!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro